PDA

View Full Version : Bullet proof riding clothes, insulated

riverrat
12-16-2009, 04:18 PM
So I am looking for some insulated riding gear for this winter on the ice. I've read about ripstop material. I will be ice racing, and my tires have a lot of studs on them, and last year I fell of and got tore up a little after the 90mph spinning back tire ripped through 2 layers of jeans to my leg. I was wondering if anyone has anything they could recommend from experience. I've been searching around the net, and Dennis Kirk and stuff, and you could wind up spending a lot of cash, I don't want to be disappointed.
I also worry about having other people crash into me with their studs. They can do a lot of damage.

Tri-Z 250
12-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Ok this may not be bullet proof....but insulated snowmobile gear is more expensive than MX gear at times. CKX is an affordable brandname that a place called Shadetree sells. Shadetree is a distributer/mailorder join ATVs to Snowmobiles and Streetbikes. I paid $100 for a set of CKX insulated bib overalls...not only is that cheap. This bibs are top notch and warm. Now they won't stop a 90mph rip from happening but what pant will...Chainsaw gear style pants maybe.

88 Turbo Coupe
12-16-2009, 06:17 PM
I would get some 7 layer kevlar chaps

riverrat
12-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Chaps cover your whole leg? Cause when I fell, the side and back of my leg got eaten by the tire.

This ripstop stuff seems to be pretty good, I just want to know more about it. Ripstop is a type of construction applied to any kind of material, they use it for making tents for instance. I noticed some apparel has ripstop. It just seems like it might work, but I don't know.

I even seen some pants made with rip stop that are like guaranteed for life.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/work-pants-for-men.aspx

Made from fire hose material.
I also want them to be water proof, cause riding on the ice can be wet sometimes.

Billy Golightly
12-16-2009, 10:45 PM
http://www.dragginjeans.com will be the ticket for you...but expensive.

I'm not sure if I'd trust even a full leathers like a streetbike rider would wear for studs...

brapp
12-17-2009, 01:48 AM
but 2 pai rof chainsaw chaps lol just wear one pair backwards lmao

Bryan Raffa
12-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Husky makes some nice pants our of ripstop

atvnut
12-17-2009, 11:27 AM
but 2 pai rof chainsaw chaps lol just wear one pair backwards lmao

I can picture that, Josh........ funny stuff

4cfed
12-17-2009, 05:19 PM
well im a cheap ass... i wear insulated car hart bibs, with jeans under them, insulated carhart jacked with sweetshirt under that, and i have snow mobile gloves than come up to almost the elbo and wear my fox dirt paw gloves under them... wife clipped me once with her trail boss that had about 350 pro gold screws per tire and didnt get tore up

88 Turbo Coupe
12-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Chaps provide insulation and protection. Thats what your looking for right?

JohnR.
12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about a riding area named "Bulletproof" that closed. Then I thought maybe Anthony was riding in Sterling Forest during hunting season and worrying about getting shot. Seriously.

riverrat
12-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about a riding area named "Bulletproof" that closed. Then I thought maybe Anthony was riding in Sterling Forest during hunting season and worrying about getting shot. Seriously.

LMAO!! That's funny. I do worry about the hunters, and don't ride during hunting season for that reason.

harryredtrike
01-02-2010, 12:00 PM
i use my joe rocket suit,very nice its kevlar.warm,tough,and has built in elbow,knee,back protectors.also waterproof.dont know if it would protect against ice screws though.

code200k
01-02-2010, 08:47 PM
chainsaw gear sounds like the best idea

harryredtrike
01-02-2010, 09:24 PM
what do the pro's wear?

riverrat
01-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Carhartt also makes ripstop.

riverrat
01-03-2010, 01:21 AM
http://www.dragginjeans.com will be the ticket for you...but expensive.

I'm not sure if I'd trust even a full leathers like a streetbike rider would wear for studs...

Those jeans only cover your butt, and your knees. Those studs can get you anywhere.

88 Turbo Coupe
01-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Rip stop is just to keep the material from ripping any further. Not for protection.

JohnR.
01-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I think you're worried too much about it. I've been doing it a long time and the studs have never been that much of an issue. Its not like we're out there racing for anything more than bragging rights so I always leave some room with the people I don't know. There are only 2 or 3 guys that I will get right up close with and those are guys that I've been on the ice with for years and years. I'll take 2 or 3 laps to make a pass that I could have made in 1 if it means I can do it without injuring myself or someone else. Realistically short of a suit of armor there isn't anything you can wear to totally protect yourself. The best protection is the thing between your ears.

John

Bryan Raffa
01-03-2010, 10:54 AM
what do the pro's wear?

shorts and a tank top:p

look into snowmobile ware ,, most are made of leather or heavy canvis type..there waterproof and warm..built in pad's in some..
I saw a Sweet black and white Yamaha jacket the other day..$300 bucks tho..:rolleyes:

riverrat
01-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I think you're worried too much about it. I've been doing it a long time and the studs have never been that much of an issue. Its not like we're out there racing for anything more than bragging rights so I always leave some room with the people I don't know. There are only 2 or 3 guys that I will get right up close with and those are guys that I've been on the ice with for years and years. I'll take 2 or 3 laps to make a pass that I could have made in 1 if it means I can do it without injuring myself or someone else. Realistically short of a suit of armor there isn't anything you can wear to totally protect yourself. The best protection is the thing between your ears.

John

I crashed all by my lonesome self, lol. I was pushing it though, hit the snow bank and came down on the wheel spinning. Was like being thrown into a blender, I got away with minor stuff.