PDA

View Full Version : 85R 3 years and still going

atv innovations
12-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi, this is my first posting and thought I would share my long dragged out resto.I have my 86R I bought new and raced for two years and had no intrest in doing another resto. Then one day a customer called wanting to know if I wanted to trade a couple of hours labor for a 3wheeler so I said I would take a look. When he arrived and begane backing into the driveway I had to stop myself from ripping it off the trailer before he stopped haha! First thing I saw was the shorttrack tank then on to the durablue swing arm and the gold front frorks!
So thats how this one started over 3 years ago. Here is a quick run down so far as what has been done.
powdercoated frame, candy apple red
powdercoated swingarm & misc parts, black
all hardware is gold cad plated
Motor, rebuilt crank,.060 wiseco,hinson basket,quickchange and counter bearing holder,nacs mag ,waterpump cover and kicker,cool head, duncan reed cage,paul turner head pipe and fatboy 2 silencer.
JB racing swingarm
atvinnovations rear brake caliper "go figure"
team axle and carrier
I am getting a buch of parts together now to get anodize. I will try to post pics and keep updating as i finish it up. Thanks for checking it out ,Glenn.

clutchcargo
12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
That's turning out real nice! Keep us posted.

Yamaha_Rules69
12-16-2009, 09:14 PM
:welcome: to the worlds greatest 3 wheeler website! It looks like you have a beautiful project going on, and cant wait to see it finished. Do you plan on doing some flat track racing with it? That would be awesome. Hope to see you stick around, and keep us updated with new pics!!!

atv innovations
12-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. No im sure i wont ride it there toys to me.I will keep updated as I go!

Mr. Clean
12-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Very nice!!!.....while probably most trikers are looking at the motor/frame....I am :drool: over the boxes of hardware....:drool: :lol:

What is the vinly die for????? :lol:

MonroeMike
12-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Nice looking project, lots-o-goodies, sweet color on the frame.

oscarmayer
12-16-2009, 10:19 PM
awesome project!!!!! I'm excited to start my restore soon ont he 200x I'm doing up. getting the engine working correctly before i tear the bike down for a full beauty restore!

audioworks04
12-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Looks amazing really really clean and everything looks brand new....pretty sure most of it is. what are you going to do for tank and plastics? Keep the short track and dye it black? Guessing thats what the rit dye is for I used to use it all the time to die wheels on rc cars. Or I could just be way off.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Where id such nice plated hardware come from?? please share!!

Looks nice, I wanna see the forks too!!

atv innovations
12-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Close audioworks the rit die is for the air scoops for the frame. Im going to keep the shot track tank but am looking for another to paint white the tank I got is to nice to touch also going white fenders. Dirtcrasher I had the hardware replated I have a local place that does up to 100 lbs for $75.00 . Makes life easy!

harryredtrike
12-17-2009, 10:57 AM
very cool project,want to see it completed.

aldochina
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
that looks pretty sick so far!! Frame color looks great with the gold hardware.

3tigers
12-17-2009, 09:55 PM
glen,scrap that terd and lets do the cagiva's!! haha

Eric250R
12-18-2009, 07:21 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: and :welcome: to the boards.

glen,scrap that terd and lets do the cagiva's!! haha

How about you come get my Cagiva and do it first ( for free of course ) that way you could get some practice before you tear into yours;) :D

atv innovations
12-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Back at it again and hope to stay with it till it done. I have the seat and front rim being made.I got a pile of parts i have to polish and off to anodize then I can assemble the front end and axle.
I just rebuilt the rear master and got the front caliper cleaned up.Going to try to resurface the front rotor today on a flywheel grinder ill let you know how that turns out. Thats all for now. Thanks for looking!

k00leo
12-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Glad to see your still around. Your project is looking great!

ezmoney1979
12-30-2010, 09:10 AM
That gold hardware is where its at, looks awesome! I am not doing another resto without it, after seeing your build. Cant wait to see it completed.

atv innovations
12-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Got to try something new today. I went to the machine shop and reground the front disc and it came out nice.
1st I glass beaded it then primed and painted the center on both sides.
2nd surface ground both sides on a flywheel grinder
3rd chamfered the cooling holes and then went back and touched up the center with paint.
I measured the disc when I was done and still had plenty of material left on it.
All and all I'm very happy with the end result!

three_wheelin45
12-30-2010, 08:03 PM
looks beautifull, and how bout that quad?? :drool:

NINJA
12-30-2010, 08:30 PM
So you have some Mugen forks for it too eh?

Billy Golightly
12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Man glad you PM'ed me with the link on this because I had totally missed it! The cadium plated hardware is awesome looking, wow! I use to have coffee cans full of OEM hardware and its just gotten used up and dumped over/lost over the years. I'll have to be more conscious of that in the future and remember that you can re-plate them up and make them that nice. The brake disc is awesome, its kind of funny you posted this because I had a front disc that was really glazed over (and like oil impregnated from bad fork seals leaking down to it and then into the pads), the darn thing couldn't hardly make the 250R stop. I went the little bit (ok, a lot haha) more ghetto method and used a bench grinder, but I just roughed it back up a bit and man it sure did make a difference in how well it stopped!

atv innovations
12-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Three wheelin 45 that one of dustins practices quads I am finishing up. Ill send you a pic of the 2009 championship quad hanging from the celling of my shop.Ninja I don't think they are Mugen forks the rear shock was painted the same gold and had a works sticker on it. The have been mod with rebound adjusters.I have never seen mugen forks do you know what to look for or # markings?

atv innovations
01-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Today i set aside some time to work on getting most of the buffing done before I send the parts out to anodize.I still have the lower fork legs to do this week and hopefully we be able to drop everything off buy the end of the week.
I had some time left so I got the front brake line guide made . I wanted to do it in black to keep with the colors of the build.I will also be making the front seat latch bushing the same way.
Thanks for looking and keep you up to date. Glenn

ceaserthethird
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Any up dates ?

atv innovations
01-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Busy in the shop ,haven't touched it lately. Soon I hope!

edog
01-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Looking great!!!!!!

tontom
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
tom here from ireland nice f.....g bike man you are sick with your work send me them part prices nice bike lad

atv innovations
03-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Got a little time in the shop to work on it again. This time I had to go back wards a little I over looked that the rear shock bottle mount was broken and had to drill it out and use a billet replacement. All went well I was worried about the drill holes and how I was going to touch up the powder coat but my wife saved me one this one we found nail polish that was a near perfect match!
I found a very nice replacement bracket on ebay from SRS suspensions that I would highly recommend. In the end I was happy the way it turned out. I ended up setting the pipe on and checking clearances and the fit is perfect as always with Duncan products.
Next will be getting the anodize back and the next post hopefully you will see the front and rear end on. Thanks for checking it out!

ceaserthethird
03-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Top Notch Work, What type of riding you plan to do ?

JayBone
03-11-2011, 03:29 PM
That is sick!!!

Brockey
03-11-2011, 11:52 PM
That is clean man. Very nice machine. Can't wait to see the final product.

tri-Z ripper
03-27-2011, 09:31 AM
One, Can't believe i missed this build! Two, we know a few people in common and your in my back yard in CT. amazing we have not met yet! I really need to get you up to the Smith's house in NH. I go up there almost every other weekend in the summer. in the winter Grant is impossible to find off of his snowmobile! lol This is a top notch build and have the same plan for at least one of my Z's
Ps that is one sweet ass hub/anti fade nut

atv innovations
10-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Race season is over and making time to finish the build. I had a bad experience with anodize so I ended up powder coating the trippled and fork tubes. I got the seat back and was amazed what my buddy Billy at QuadTech did for me. The rear suspension is finished up and working on the carrier and axle. Tripples are on and forks are laid out to be assembled I would have had them done but found a bent tube luckily I had a set on the shelf. Next pics it should be on it wheels and working on getting the carb and air box in.
Till next time Thanks for looking.

Billy Golightly
10-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Man this thing is looking SICK! Nice work everywhere.

xrider
10-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Liking it! Are those Nasa Fork adjusters in the one pic?

Swinger
10-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Im liking the raised back of the seat, as well as everything else! Any plans on taking this to TF next year and showing it off?

falloutboy
10-26-2011, 12:48 AM
beautiful bike! I love the candy apple red...

atv innovations
11-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Yes they are NASA fork adjusters . No I don't think ill make TF I'm thinking of selling it onces its done.I want to get going on my Cagiva cause I'm not getting any younger. Thanks for all the complements!

atv innovations
11-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Spent some time in the shop this weekend and got some good time on the build. Front end is done and brake calipers are assy. I ordered a set of DC plastics tank shrouds that will be in next week and then I can start on the graphics kit. Got the rims back from powder coating and mounted up. I had to settle for the stock front rim for now seeing I still am waiting for my DWT 10 inch. It is coming along nice my goal is the first week of Jan so I can display it at our NEATV race banquet. Keep you up to date Thanks for looking, Glenn

Billy Golightly
11-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Looking great!

Tippmann98
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
That step seat is awesome! How do you get the wheeler off the cart when you're all done?

falloutboy
12-07-2011, 12:46 AM
I love how the raised part of the seat follows the downward angle of the fronts of the rear fenders

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Build it once, build it right and it will last. Nice work, enjoy!!

NESC104
12-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Amazing Build! Take your time, you can't rush perfection!

Xowner
12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
I have 10 inch front wheel if your still needing one. Its not a DWT wheel its one of the batches i had custom made..... You dont have to grind your hub, just clearance the caliper just a little.

riverrat
12-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Sick build. I am in love with it. PM me your price when you are done.

atv innovations
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I am almost done having a goal to have it done buy Sat I wont have it fired up but It will be ready to. I got the thumb throttle done and the brakes all on and bled. I ended up using a LTR 450 rear master reservoir and hose witch I was happy with the fit and a 400EX front master. I had custom fit brake lines made and will start to offer these for sale soon you will be able to order any length and banjo fitting position so they lay out without a twist in them. I should have some more pics up buy the weekend with it on the ground and a new build thread starter on my 138879138880138881Buddy's tiger 80 we are going to rip into this should be fun. Thanks for looking , Glenn

atv innovations
01-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I got tank and Shrouds on tonight . Mounting the shrouds was a real treat!

tri-Z ripper
01-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Looking great! Definetly have to see that in person!

D-dub
01-02-2012, 11:43 PM
man I really like your rear brake calipers!

atv innovations
01-04-2012, 10:04 PM
D-dub there in stock ready to ship.

ceaserthethird
01-05-2012, 05:04 AM
What would it cost us 3 wheeler world members for a Caliper kit ? Do you guys offer color choice ?

atv innovations
01-05-2012, 09:00 AM
The price is 349.99 but i will sell it to 3WW members for 299 . That comes complete with pads ready to bolt on. I only offer it in natural clear color

tri-Z ripper
02-07-2012, 12:31 PM
very nice Glen!!!!! i've said it for over a year but we need to get together sometime. Money is coming back together and i need to get on my Z builds.

atv innovations
02-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Give me a call and stop up anytime! Ill post some more pics soon just been slamed in the shop.

tri-Z ripper
02-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Give me a call and stop up anytime! Ill post some more pics soon just been slamed in the shop.
You got it. still have your number, hopefully you and I will make it up to NH with that newly finished R and ride with the Smith's.

D-dub
02-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Mounting the shrouds was a real treat!
Man, I bet!...looks great!

scott zimmerman
05-29-2014, 02:02 AM
you think u you make them for us kxt guys that sure would look nice on my 85 kxt 194591

atv innovations
06-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Its Time this build is FOR SALE! you can contact me at the shop or email and please this isnt a 3k cragis list bike so no tire kickers.
Thanks, Glenn 860-888-7506, atvinnovations@aol.com