PDA

View Full Version : I need an air compressor give me your feedback.

bigred1
12-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey guys I'm looking to up grade my old craftsman 20gallon 2hp comp. right now the biggest I seen Sears carry is a 33 gallon single stage oilless and I heard there very loud. I wnat to get one that will do all my garage projects and I thnk I wanna eventualy get into painting. I'm thinking a 60 gallon would be big enough not sure? also you think I should go single or dual stage and what kind of volume shoul it produce? thanks.

86trizinger
12-20-2009, 11:03 AM
I have the 33 gallon craftsman.. And loud is not even the word for it.. I put mine outside when I use it because it vibrates the walls.

250rAL
12-20-2009, 11:16 AM
If I had it to do over again, I would run 220 to my garage and get one of those 80 gallon uprights with a two stage pump. You can't have too big of a compressor.

smokinwrench
12-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Giant tank doesn't help any if you have a tiny compressor. All that gives you is more time before you run out of air, then have to wait. I prefer a compressor with small tank for space saving and the biggest compressor I can buy. You will regret buying an oiless compressor.

Call these guys you won't find a cheaper better compressor. They have a web site I just can't find it right now.

North Central Air
619 Morgan Ave
Downs Ks
1-785-454-3409

5.5hp Honda twin tank single stage cast iron twin V w/head unloaders, 13.8 C.F.M., 140 PSI, liq. gauge cold weather start $689
8hp Honda twin tank single stage 3 cyl. cast iron w/head unloaders, 20 C.F.M., 140 PSI, liq. gauge electric start & rope start $1,085
13hp Honda 30 gallon, 3 cyl. cast iron 2 stage w/head unloaders, 24 C.F.M., 175 PSI, liq. gauge electric start & rope start $1,688
13hp Honor electric start w/3500 generator, 21 C.F.M., 175 PSI, twin tank $1,885
PLUS All electric compressors from 1hp to 25hp

Dirtcrasher
12-20-2009, 01:08 PM
I'd go dual stage and a big tank too...........

But, your more in the 1000$ range at that point.

That 33 gallon is what I have, yes it's LOUD!! and it runs all the time trying to sandblast. Hence the reason I can't PC for short money.

Rm250RF900R
12-20-2009, 01:09 PM
i was watching truck you and they had some nice air compressors on there. i think they were quincy. i dont know how much the go for but they were nice.

SWIGIN
12-20-2009, 02:04 PM
My sears has 60 gallon upright compressors.

I have the 6hp 60gal twin cly 220v and love it other then the noise.

plastikosmd
12-20-2009, 02:54 PM
got the same sears 60 gallon. It has pretty good CFM for a cheap compressor. It is oilless and got it as a wedding present 13 years ago. No doubt a big dual stage is sweet, it was the best i could do back then...and suprise, suprise it is still going

jason85atc250r
12-20-2009, 03:32 PM
i have a Sears with a oil type engine. it's a black professional models. do they still offer it it's a 30 size tank.

All the oilless ones are red. see if they have one of the black ones at sears mine is not that old and works great and quiet. got it used at a auction for $80

jensenracing77
12-20-2009, 04:21 PM
this is the one i have. it does very well. it has ben used hard and holds up very well. i am thinking i may sell it and get a 17 cfm. this is 11.3 and does everything most people will ever need. i got a bead blast cabinet and it likes lots of air. if it were not for that i would just stay with what i got. the biggest things i would recommend for long term use is one that has a cast iron pump with oil. i would not go with a tank bigger than 60 gallon till you get over 12 cfm. the aluminum pumps are lower priced but they will not last as long. also most (including mine) have motors made in china. there are many china motors that are junk. Emerson has ben good on mine.

http://www.ingersoll-rand-airtools.com/sistelpoco.html

SYKO
12-20-2009, 06:13 PM
the huskys at home depot are a good compressor I had one that ran my whole body shop for a number of years before a dumb mistake made it explode (compressor not tank) right now I have a IngersolRand... it cost but it was well worth it. paid about 2000 for it but well worth it

Billy Golightly
12-20-2009, 06:40 PM
We have a very large horizontal twin cylinder air compressor in our shop that we used many years. I'd encourage you to shop around in alternatives locations, like companies that close out businesses and fab shops, and government liquidation auctions from bases to try and find something old and dirty but bad ass. They will probably even be cheaper than a newer, smaller stand-up type. There is also a stand up 60 gallon little tiny single cylinder compressor in our shop. It gets used most of the time, but it is s a LOUD pos that turns like 3400rpm. The only advantage it has is that it is a smaller electric motor and doesn't cost as much to run, and in small garages/shops, the old one is just too big. Its like the size of a small car just about. I keep telling my dad we are going to unhook the new one and hook the old one back in-line because I can't stand that thing coming on every 3 minutes when your using an airtool or doing some bead blasting.

Dirtcrasher
12-21-2009, 01:48 PM
^ Our old shop had "rotary screw" compressors and they were NASTY!! They got air to every machine in about 1 minuter and there were allot of machines..... Sold at auction, unknown what they got for them though.