PDA

View Full Version : Motor Sports is not a sport. Are you crazy?

Side Wayz
12-22-2009, 08:26 PM
So this is what my friends brother posted on FB...Thinks it is stupid Jimmy Johnson was named male athlete of year...guy drives a car not an athlete...skilled but not athlete cause car racing isn't a sport...how is it a sport? Stupid!! Manny Pacquiao is who I would give it too...guy won 3 huge fights all really really impressive within last 12 months...."

So I say...Nascar is more then just driving a car, let me see any of you do 1 lap. In the wall Jimmie holds 4 consecutive championships , it will take anyone to win 5 years in a row to hold the record.

and he says...Well what else is he doing? What is he doing athletic? He is operating a machine! That is not being athletic...and no I prob couldn't nor wouldn't want to drive a race car but Drivers are not athletes and NASCAR or any other car/truck racing is not a sport...entertainment but not a sport. Mine as well call astronauts athletes.....

I say. It takes endurance and stamina to hold those cars on the track at 200+mph on the oval and road course mainly upper body,for hours on end, its not taking a trip to ohio or going to the local shoprite.This will never end, and whoever the people are who says baseball is a sport says Nascar is a sport so must be a sport.

Daltons200x
12-23-2009, 07:40 AM
whoever said that has obviously never taken part in any motorsports whatsoever.....

Maico
12-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Your friend's brother isn't too bright.

Main Entry: ath·lete
Pronunciation: \ˈath-ˌlēt, ÷ˈa-thə-ˌlēt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlētēs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest
Date: 15th century
: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Tri-Z 250
12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info on your brothers friend...he's been wanting to frend me on FB. I kinda figured him weird, with all the FB bbf crap and now this....Theres no way I can friend him now.

tanks350x
12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I used to race at a local short track back in 2003. Granted, I ran a mini stock Mustang, which only got up to around 70mph around a 1/3rd mile oval. At the end of a 20 lap feature event, I was pretty worn out. I couldn't imagine entering a turn going over 180mph. The "G" forces on your body must be incredible. So, to say that race car drivers aren't atheletes, well that's just ignorant IMHO