PDA

View Full Version : Compression testers?

dc
08-13-2003, 05:51 PM
What kind of compression tester should I get. At Napa there are two different types. One type has an attachment that threads into the sparkplug whole. It has two of these attachments. The other type is called a universal compression tester. It has a rubber nozzle that you press into the spark plug hole while someone else cranks the engine. I would probably want the threaded one but will it fit everything from lawn mowers to motorcycles to antique tractors?
What do you guys think?

Cheese
08-14-2003, 08:23 AM
Go with the threaded, its alot nicer when you can do a compression test on your own without needing another person there to help. Plus with atc and dirtbikes, you can just screw it in there and not have to worry about anything being in the way. Im sure the other one works fine but I would go with the threaded.

hondaATCman
08-15-2003, 12:05 AM
Are you sure NAPA has ATV compression testers?? Car plugs are different than ATV's and I know NAPA generally sells car stuff.

dc
08-15-2003, 06:17 PM
I don't know. Where could I get one to fit atv's? Maybe I should just get that universal one.

moe
08-15-2003, 07:40 PM
My car compression tester has three threaded sizes and it will not fit my 185s all the fittings are too big!!!

hondaATCman
08-15-2003, 09:16 PM
You should be able to find one at an ATV shop or check Dennis Kirk or any other mail order business and order one. If you don't wanna do that, I guess get the universal rubber one, although it sounds as if it would be a little less accurate.