PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions on a 78 Nova project

timex69
12-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey Guys
I just got an email back from someone who has a nova project forsale. They want $750 for it. No motor/trans. The frame has been blasted as well the body is excellent shape plus professional paint. It had an auto transmission in it. Do you think this is a good price?

What motors/transmissions did these come stock with, im going to assume a 305, 350 or a big block but im not sure. Anyone who can tell me what these cars are like to drive, own and work on as well as post pics of there own..all the feedback I can get would be great

racer....X
12-24-2009, 08:13 PM
most 78 novas had 6 cylinders.Some had 305s and 350s but the big blocks were long gone by then.I had a couple of these cars and liked them.Even put a 455 buick eng in one.Id say if its solid its worth it.

Vealmonkey
12-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Most 77 and 78 novas had 6 cylinders and automatics in them. Less than 1/3 have v-8s. That sounds like a pretty reasonable price. Hopefully the title is nice an clean. Also the big thing to be aware of is since they have the front subframe, you have to make sure all the mounting points are in decent shape. You may have to buy all new mounts and have your subframe realigned as it will affect your driving in a straight line. Don't go too crazy engine wise unless you get frame stiffeners and tie-ins for that subframe. They were neat cars though. Just remember the limitations with the subframes.

leviblue
12-25-2009, 02:45 AM
I had a 78 w/a 305 stock. Loved the car and beat it to death.Total RICKY RACER fat in the back w/air shocks filled tight.allways nice to see your fuel tank from across the parking lot. Oh and I can't forget the WHITEBOY MAGS.....CRAGER SS...old school. but fate anwsered and turned it into a Street Stock/Thunder Dirt car. If I could go back 20 years I would of been kinder to her and kept her around longer.

RudeDog666
12-25-2009, 10:48 AM
I had a 78 Buick Skylark. It came with a 6 cylinder. I blew that up in no time at all. I put a 350 in it and it became the funnest car I ever owned.

timex69
12-25-2009, 01:17 PM
I am still waiting for a reply with all the work done to the car as well as some more pictures, Its about 2 hours from me and I dont want to shell out $60 to rent a car hauler $40 to pay the bridge toll to go to New Brunswick and about $50 in gas just to look and see that the car is in far worse shape then i had expected. From what I have read a a 350 small block is a good option to go in this car. I googled frame stiffeners (gussets) for this model of Nova and i have a got a few links to some different kits so I think a mild 350 SB will be a good choice..plus parts are a dime a dozen.

Does anyone know what transmissions came in these cars. I am going to assume a Turbo 350, because its what ive herd of alot of people running but thats just hear say. Sorry about all the rookie questions, this is my first "vintage car" build and the 70's is a little before my time.

racer....X
12-25-2009, 07:03 PM
yes the came with turbo 350 trans

thefox
12-25-2009, 07:16 PM
My neighbor has a 78? with a small block and the 4-speed tranny, he had a 76? with a small block and 3 speed auto but found this car in better shape and with the tranny he originaly wanted. He has built his motor up and that thing rips good.

harryredtrike
12-26-2009, 01:36 AM
looks like a decent car for the money.nice start.wheres all the trim pieces?

timex69
12-26-2009, 01:08 PM
thats what i get right there, he said hes keeping the engine/tranny for another project and im pretty sure he donated the grill rad n chrome to to it aswell

harryredtrike
12-26-2009, 06:53 PM
all that trim and grill and rear bumper,headlights,ect is going to nickle and dime you.if you can get a motor and trans reasonable maybe its a good deal still

timex69
12-27-2009, 11:07 PM
scratch the nova, i went for a drive today to look at a 83 trans am 305 HO. It was parked 3 years ago jacked up on blocks with a tarp underneath it and covered. The guy didnt know if it would run..there was no battery in it and said its mine for $500. I got a u haul trailer and a winch and went and got it. After an hour in a warm garage and a new battery +new fuel and oil+tranny top up and a little either it fired up and even idled after a few minutes. It has power windows and door locks and an electric trunk opener which to me is a big plus. It also has T-Bar roofs and leather seats. Now for the bad..it needs a floor under the front and back seats, some body work and possible a tranny overhaul. But for $500 a running + semi driving (I had to try it...i backed it in and out of the shop) I think i did quite well.

MonroeMike
12-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Looks like a nice car you ended up with.

johnny's X
12-28-2009, 01:36 PM
my old neighbor had a 78 nova and it had a 350 in it. He ordered it with some upgrades right from chevrolet. He also bought a 70 chevy stepside 2wd . Bought them both in 78. The truck was ordered with a bigblock in it and some other rare upgrades. Both of them sit in his garage covered up and both have less that 50,000 miles on them. Rare cares for sure. I just hope he kid doesnt end up with them. Complete idiot

racer....X
12-28-2009, 02:16 PM
the trans am will definitaly be easyer to find parts for.

mopar_man
12-28-2009, 03:29 PM
The picture doesn't work for me but I think you did pretty well on the 'Bird. I had an '82 as my first car so I have soft spot for them. Performance and replacement parts are extremely easy and cheap to find for those, probably only second to the fox body Mustangs. Good luck with the project!

timex69
12-29-2009, 07:55 AM
The worst part about the car is after I decoded the vin to find out if the 5.0 liter motor was a 305 or a 307 it turns out its a 4 bbl 305 that puts out 145 HP stock. I was hoping it was the 305 h.o. Anyway I think my best bet is to start looking for a 350 4 bolt and rebuild it.