PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems...

Billy Golightly
08-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Well I got hit by that new Blaster Worm, among other others on my own computer...Its got a pretty sealed death right now until I can figure something out...Weird when you totally format a drive and its still there...

Anyways, any emails, PMs, ect, might go unanswered for a couple days until I can get things straightened out.

Billy

ATC crazy
08-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Sorry to hear Billy. We have been hit hard around here with that virus too....I have Windows 98 so I'm OK. 8)

bigred110
08-14-2003, 12:24 AM
I saw on the news, if you down load sp1 the worm well disappear.

1. search: Download SP1
2. then download and keep on downloading it until it is complete

Howdy
08-14-2003, 07:26 AM
Sorry to hear Billy. We have been hit hard around here with that virus too....I have Windows 98 so I'm OK. 8)

Yep, Same thing here Win98 saves my day. lol

Billy, No problem. You should have my number if you need anything. ;)

Howdy

Cheese
08-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Use Linux and you will never have to worry about all those windows viruses.

Billy Golightly
08-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Believe me I've tried using Linux, but I never could get it to install...

I run Windows 2000 Professional, I was downloading Service Pack 4, but the power blinked while I was installing. Initially I thought that was the problem, but I've realised it was the Blaster Worm. My monitor is now screwed (I was trying to adjust the stretch and height of the screen, but I ended up changing the gama to the lowest posistion, and now its totally dark and I can't change it back. I'm hoping I can let it sit for a while unplugged and let it fix itself. If I get that done I might go ahead and try installing Mandrake again...

bentwrench
08-14-2003, 01:50 PM
I got hit also I'm running WindowsXP had 2 diff filters but it still made it thru. Still having problems this is the 3rd time I've tried to post this message. Keep locking up.

Cheese
08-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Try using redhat. Theres basically nothing to the install. Thats what I run and I never have a problem with it. I wouldnt install it on anything slower than a 1Ghz processor though. With redhat the graphics are alot better too.

TrikeKid
08-14-2003, 04:51 PM
we got hit too and instead of waiting she rushed it to Comp USA they couldnt figger it out so they blasted the hd and installed 2003 norton and the blasterworm patch one plus is we got rid of the crap we werent using and i got to download some stuff onto my computer now when i get new stuff i know how to transfer it so it was kinda good

atcpunk107
08-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Does it affect Windows ME to or just differwent things.Pleas fill me in on what the worm is becaus i havnt Heard anthing about it.

yamaha200E
08-14-2003, 07:00 PM
hey honda just d/l or buy a virus protector and they will delet it for ya or u can just look for it and delet it. and atcpunk windows me will probably get hit (thats what i got) and its the crapest os you can get.
kyle

DOGBONE
08-15-2003, 03:14 AM
There is a worm remover on the techtv homepage if any of you still have it. It got on my brothers computer the other day and I had to remove it.

TrikeKid
08-15-2003, 03:24 AM
ya but the thing freezes and shuts it self off before you can do anything

bentwrench
08-15-2003, 08:36 AM
I finally have it all off of my computer. When I downloaded the security patch it helped but then re-developed some new problems. I called microsoft &amp; they told me to use an uninfected computer to down load to a floppy then install on mine. The down load they told me to use is: <hr>Windows-KB8Z3980-X86-ENU,,Self-Extracting Cabinet,,,Micro Soft Corp.<hr>This is the one that the computer stores are using if you take your comp. to them for help.

Billy Golightly
08-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Well I got Mandrake Linux working, I'm using it now. A bit on a the weird side (I had a helluva time figuring out how to configure the network to be able to connect) I can't connect from home at this moment (I've got my box in at my moms office hooked into the DSL line) Because my modem is a winmodem, and I need to find drivers and stuff for it first. I'm gonna try and find some while I'm in here today. This is definetly different, but I think it could be pretty nice.

bakeban
08-15-2003, 10:12 AM
i must have got lucky. everyone around here got nailed including the printing facitly that i work at. i have zonealarm with norton up to date. that worm is a category 4 and you dont see that too often. what is mandrake? ive never heard of it.

J.D.
08-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Mandrake is one of the types of Linux, or something like that. Honda put up a screenshot of Linux please! I wanna see what it looks like.

Billy Golightly
08-15-2003, 11:22 AM
Umm.. I'll try, I'm not even sure how to use theGIMP (The equivilent of paint) yet, leme try :P

Billy Golightly
08-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Heres the "desktop" under KDE, I'm still trying to learn how to work things and stuff.

Billy Golightly
08-15-2003, 11:29 AM
Ok, And heres Konqueror (The equiv to Internet explorer) It also acts as the file browser and stuff. I tried upping the quality up a a little in theGIMP.

Cheese
08-15-2003, 11:37 AM
How do you like linux HondaATC. Have you ever tried using gnome. It doesnt use quite as much cpu as kde does. Did you get everything configured for your home pc. What do you do for a living, involved in computers in some way?

Billy Golightly
08-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Na, I haven't got things configured yet...I was trying to download some winmodem drivers and stuff so I could get online from home where I'm on a modem line, But I can't figure out how your suppose to compile/run/install the drivers and stuff. I also downloaded a thing that was suppose to be similar to Trillian for windows (Run multiple chat clients at one time). I'm probably gonna have to end up ditching this and re-installing windows, because my mom is all over my ass to update her website (Which was made in MSPublisher sadly...So that she could have everything lined up and stuff the way she wants). I think this would be good if I could figure out a way to dual boot this and the Win2k install on my secondary HD..But that HD is/has been messed up for a while and it will not boot up by itself. I had been dual booting for a while (Win2k on my 20gig Seagate drive, and win2k on my 80gig Western Digital drive), but I guess the linux install kinda messed that up. I try selecting "NT" at the linux boot screen and it says some kind of error about it can't. I hope that my info on my 80gig isn't screwed up...all the files for my moms website and 3WW are on there.

DOGBONE
08-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Well if you wanted both windows and linux you could run windows as your main operating system and run linux inside a windows box.

Cheese
08-15-2003, 01:53 PM
If I was going to do something along those lines, I would run Linux and then run VMware with win 2k. Its a little slower than normal but works good.