PDA

View Full Version : eaton viper 90 idles but dies when i hit the throttle

little doug
01-03-2010, 02:05 PM
i took the carb off and cleaned the jet and bowl thoroughly.it didn't help one bit. also,the spark arrestor was removed from the muffler since those get clogged so that's not it. i'm thinking it may have to do with the cdi,which is adjustable. please help. my son hasn't rode now for two months and i don't have the money to take it to the local shop. thanks.

86trizinger
01-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Have you checked the compression on it ? Some of the mini quads go through cheaper brand pistons and rings real quick.
Did it start all of a sudden or did it sit for a while?

I just got rid of my sons old Eton parts about 3 weeks ago or I would have had a complete low hour top end for you.

little doug
01-03-2010, 03:41 PM
i have not done a compression check.the quad will run sometimes for a minute or two then act like it's not gettin gas. it runs really strong when it wants to. when it started acting up my boy could only get it to keep going good with the choke all the way out. wierd! it has a new fuel filter also.

MTS
01-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Try Taking the gas cap off, sounds like the vent might be plugged, Causing a vacuum lock in the tank

86trizinger
01-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Have you checked all of your grounds. It couldn't hurt to do a compression check though. Also are you running the stock carb still ? I know some of the mini quads had crappy carbs. Also some of them fed the fuel line through other things before the carb. WE always took it all off and ran straight from the gas tank to a filter to the carb. Did away with as much as possible.

Our eton kept doing the same thing. It would shut off when you gas it gas but idled perfect. We did pistons and rings and it started up right away.

3wheeledjunkie
01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
sounds like maybe the choke isn't disengaging. Causing it to flood itself out, Runs good till it gets hot and can't take the extra fuel.