PDA

View Full Version : atc 125m brakes

11-07-2002, 06:02 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to change the rear drum brakes to hydralic disk even if only hand activated, on my wifes 84 atc 125m. It has new shoes but the brakes are still so bad it's almost terrifying.

GlennMc
11-07-2002, 08:35 PM
sleestack 71;

I don't now about adopting a disc set-up for your machine but there are things that you can do to make the drum brake as effective as possible. Start from the top. Is the hand lever and mount in good condition and lubed? Is the cable in good condition and routed properly? Does it slide almost effortlessly even if you pull it by hand? Does the lever snap back properly when you let go of it? If not, the cable is probably bad and needs replacing. When you replaced the shoes, did you clean the drum with emery paper? Did you lube the cam faces and the shaft where it goes through the backing plate? Did you radius the new brake pads? By that I mean that the drum is probably a slightly different diameter than the new shoes and they are contacting on a small patch only. Put a piece of coarse sandpaper in the drum with the grit facing in and run the new shoes around until the entire surface has been sanded. Put it back together and try it. I bet you will have a much better brake. Let's face it, it worked when it was new so there must be a way to make it work properly again. Good Luck, GlennMc.