PDA

View Full Version : trx 250r upper ball joint question

PAPA250r
01-11-2010, 12:14 AM
i have an 89 trx250r . my front wheels are crooked ..example if you look from the front of the quad head on they look like this....................... / \

it looks to have a set of 86-87 upper and lower a arms on it . and probably the wrong ball joints because it has a bunch of washers behing the nut to attempt to make the wheels straight.

i was wondering if i can ever get them straight using the 86-87 a arms and adding an adjustable upper ball joint ?

any sugestions ? the quad track real straight but i just hate how the crooked wheels look :lol:

thanks for any help !!!

jensenracing77
01-11-2010, 06:21 AM
as long as it tracks straight and the ball joints are not in a bind, i would leave it that way. it will turn much better this way. as you go into a turn the outside tire will roll. so if the tires were straight up and down and then roll, the tire will be leaning out and not have near the traction.

SWIGIN
01-11-2010, 07:13 PM
I agree, unless it is exsessive.

I use a frameing square placed on the ground to see how much my front wheels are tilted in (camber).

I normally run around 1 1/2'' of camber but back in the day when i raced some guys had to have 3'' or more. If it seems to corner good I'd let it alone.

Here is a great picture of me slamming a corner on my RX and it shows how much camber you can have and the inside tire still gets pulled straight. And the outter tire getts tilted more.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2n83m1l.jpg

PAPA250r
01-12-2010, 01:32 AM
ok thanks . im going to leave it alone . prior owner raced this quad pretty hard so maby it was set up like that ? good to know