PDA

View Full Version : 200x help

bigredrider200
11-07-2002, 08:00 PM
hey, my freind just got an 83 200x in real bad shape. first, it does not run at all but it has spark is gettin gas and has great compression. the kid who had it last is kind of brain dead and striped something in the kickstart system so it skippes now. and he said the reason that is was not running was because "it had to do with the timing or the cam chain" and i have this honda book that covers that make and modle and it says it has to be running to adjust the timing. so were really confused on what we should do.

please help

were also thinking on just screwing it and buying a different engine for it...whould a 250r engine fit into the frame?[/b]

3wheelcrazy
11-07-2002, 09:03 PM
hey if the chain jumps a tooth or two you will still get spark but it wont start you may have to rip it down and make shure the timing gears are lined up properly

11-08-2002, 09:30 PM
One way to see if it is timed right is to take the top cap off the stator cover (cover by shifter) and take the CDI box off, and if the 0 on the sprocket is lined up with the l on the rocker box (located ontop of the motor by valves) and the timing mark i believe "T" is lined up with the V that is made on the block (located by the flywheel/stator) and the piston is at its highest peak, the timing is right. You could push start it to see if it runs. if it gets continous spark, it still could be the timing, the timing could be 180 degrees off which will let exhaust valve open when inlet valve is sposed to be open and vise versa. hope this helps and hope i didnt confuse you.

BigRedRunner
11-08-2002, 10:16 PM
Umm, you could always sell it to me and buy a ready to go 250r, ;) Trying dumping a straw full of gas done the spark plug and give it a kick and see what happens.

There are giant caps on top of your head, remove those and you can see your valves. That way you can see if you cam is 180 degrees off when you have the timing marks aligned. The valves should be closed when the marks are aligned.