PDA

View Full Version : 98 Dodge 318 Thermostat questions

Kintore
01-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Hey guys,

Got a couple questions regarding my truck.

Ok the story goes...

Coming home from work the other day, truck was just reaching normal op temperature. Guy in front of me slowed right down to a crawl to turn, I was in a rush so as soon as he turned I put the ole girl to the floor.
A few moments later I noticed my "CHECK GAUGES" light flash on.
My temp reading was almost at the red, so I pulled over, had a smoke, checked everything over and noticed my rad level was down (in the overflow)

So 20 mins later after it was cooled I babyed it home (10 mins later to home). In this time my temp was in normal range the whole time. So I went for a 15-20 min cruise and beat the piss outa it trying to get it to overheat again as a troubleshoot.

It has yet to do this again and its been 2 days of driving.

Questions-

What would cause this?
Could of there been too low of fluid to make a gap? so to speak?
Could of there been something in my thermostat?

Help me out! I bought all the necessary stuff to fix it, but if its not doing it now? WTF?
This is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

Josh-

keister
01-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Did you call and ask Snake. He knows these Dodge trucks inside and out.

ditchmud
01-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Sounds like you were sucking air when you floored it and it was low on fluid. Keep an eye on your Radiator fluid for a while to make sure you don't have a leak. The waterpump will start to leak before it totally goes out so you might want to check it. Hope this helps. I think that I told you before but I have the same truck as you color and all.

Thorpe
01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Sounds like the stat is probably bad... I had one that went intermittent like that (Cherokee) for about 2 months, then it went completely....

Bryan Raffa
01-14-2010, 07:16 PM
sounds like the thermastat is going...

Russell 350X
01-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Could of had a air bubble in the system somewhere. Doubtfull, but possible. I would pick up a thermostat and keep it handy.

Kintore
01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Alright sounds good guys!

I got one sitting here all ready to go. Just hope she holds over till spring! haha

Bryan Raffa
01-14-2010, 09:00 PM
heck I would swap the $10 part out right now

Dirtcrasher
01-15-2010, 05:19 PM
^ ESP on a 318, piece of cake!! Don't snap the bolts and never seize them when they go back in :D