PDA

View Full Version : Gas in 2 strokes

skinhead
01-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Hello im new to the forums anyways i have a friend that took my 3 wheeler to desert for the weekend and brought it back to me with straight gas in it 250r 2 stroke ..yeah amagine that now i cant get it to kick over and its pooring gas out the exhaust pipe while trying to kick it over ...any suggestions besides taking his harley for long ride off short bridge????

smokinwrench
01-18-2010, 10:18 PM
I would suggest pulling the plug and seeing how it looks, I can tell you it isn't gonna be pretty.

As for his harley I think you mean short ride off a tall bridge.

Thorpe
01-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Short ride to the pawn shop... Get money for your rebuild...

skinhead
01-18-2010, 11:31 PM
lol thorpe

250rAL
01-19-2010, 10:55 AM
He definitely owes you a rebuild or he's no friend.

harryredtrike
01-19-2010, 11:45 AM
your motor is screwed,and he should pay the damages.total rebuild is in the future.

fabiodriven
01-19-2010, 12:20 PM
I always heard it was a "long ride off a short pier". Guess it depends on where you're from.

johnny's X
01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Lesson learned! Never let your two stroke go to a friend without sending him the gas that YOU mixed for him. Its way to easy to screw something up if he doesnt know how to mix it. Either way he should man up to the rebuild.

cox
01-19-2010, 01:56 PM
ouch, that is all....

JohnR.
01-19-2010, 03:45 PM
He broke it and he should pay to have it fixed. At the very least you're going to need a piston, rings, and an overbore. There's a good chance that the crank and rod bearings got wiped as well.

John

300rman
01-20-2010, 02:26 AM
He broke it and he should pay to have it fixed. At the very least you're going to need a piston, rings, and an overbore. There's a good chance that the crank and rod bearings got wiped as well.

John

i doubt the bearings got wiped. the piston oil is constantly getting scraped off, the oil wouldnt dry off the bearings like it would on that hot piston. but, since it will be apart, a complete inspection IS in order.

Maico
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
i doubt the bearings got wiped. the piston oil is constantly getting scraped off, the oil wouldnt dry off the bearings like it would on that hot piston. but, since it will be apart, a complete inspection IS in order.

No oil means EVERYTHING...including the crank bearings & upper and lower rod bearings...did NOT get lubricated.

JohnR.
01-21-2010, 06:26 PM
I would also be concerned about how much he may have shortened the life of those bearings even if they seem OK today.

300rman
01-22-2010, 01:02 AM
No oil means EVERYTHING...including the crank bearings & upper and lower rod bearings...did NOT get lubricated.

just because the oil flow stopped, doesnt mean the bearings were shot. residual oil will stay on a bearing a lot longer than on a cylinder wall, where combustion and scraping of the piston will remove the oil so fast that the motor siezes long before the bearings get destroyed. i have repaired over a dozen chainsaws that got ran with straight gas. guess what? new piston and a hone and shes like new again. the bearings more often than not still have lube on them......
but, being that the motor probably has the original bottom end in it, it should be thoroughly inspected, and replaced if anything is worn.

jeffatc250r
01-22-2010, 01:23 AM

My thoughts exactly

Maico
01-22-2010, 07:54 AM
My thoughts exactly

Gas...with no oil in it...will wash those crank bearings clean. I wouldn't chance a new top end on the thought of the lower end bearings "might" still be o.k. If it shells a bearing...kiss your new top end,crank and possibly cases...GOODBYE.

Dirtcrasher
01-24-2010, 01:46 PM
I'd tell him he's looking at 600-1000$ to repair it. I don't care what "seems or "looks" ok, it had a lack of oil and thats bad!

Was there ever/never a conversation of what needed to be run, how to adjust the chain, check the airfilter etc etc??

I'd buy a new OEM crank, rebuild the upper end and send him the bill. It's nice to be nice, but it rarely PAYS TO BE NICE!! NICE STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! But, I'm still nice, lol.........

2 stroke oil lubricates everything, if it ran for 10 seconds then thats one thing but other than that, he better break out his wallet and his his own ignorance and or stupidity is at blame but nothing more!!

This stuff is never good for friendships....... I warn ANYONE that touches my rare stuff and that they are walking a thin line, which is why I hesitate to ride other peoples stuff too.

Someone rode up my arse, I crashed and when he crashed too, he ruined my fenders. Perfect OEM 350X fenders, but I "DID" crash myself, he didn't have any busness following me so close at high speeds in the snow though. BUT - I should have let him go by too as I was playing Mr' Quick - My fault..... Fast forward a year and his 8000$ quad fell off a cliff so maybe that was justice served?? Or Karma?? Nah, IDT so..... Who knows, but he's a good guy and I get along well with him and enjoy riding with him so that was the end of the fender.............. His fault for hitting me, myself ignorant for playing fast boy!! :lol:

harryredtrike
01-24-2010, 04:24 PM
anytime i loan or borrow something it's discussed.you break it you bought it.