PDA

View Full Version : 3WW Care Packages

Macs
01-18-2010, 08:13 PM
It struck me that we have a couple of members fighting overseas. I know of a few off hand. my wife and I like to put together care packages for those fighting. But i think it would be even better to provide care packages to 3ww members that are more to there style. So i am starting this. If you know anyone on the boards that is away, let me know. I will also take any contributions, letters whatever to pass on. This will probly be a better blog or something but i just figured out how to post on this new site last week. Let me know your thoughts, comments or suggestions.

69HemiGTX
01-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I guess I'll give you a report from the front line, as I'm in Afghanistan right now. If you're going to make some care packages, we'd like to see a little more healthy stuff in them. I know I would. I'm 240 right now, and the Army says I can only weigh 229 for my height. That doesn't really mean anything, but a lot of care packages we get are filled with junkfood. You would cringe if you saw what we have to choose from on a daily basis in the chow hall. Fried, boiled, and generally nasty food is the norm. I know I would like to see more care packages with neccessities such as soap, toothpaste, and toothbrushes. It's kinda sad, and I really feel bad when I do it, but a lot of the candy and chips get thrown out because no one wants it. There's just so much crap you tolerate. Honestly, there isn't much I can think of that hasn't been sent to us already. Numerous times at that. When I was in Iraq, I gathered all of the toiletries I could from care packages that were to be thrown out. I didn't buy anything for the forteen months I was back in the States because I had so much, and I have a wife and two kids. That should give you an idea of how much stuff comes over here.

TrailerRider
01-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Where do we sent items? What are the rules for sending? I know mail security in the states is terrible for sending stuff and I don't mean prices..

TrailerRider
01-29-2010, 02:52 PM
and post a pic of your team :)

corndawg
01-29-2010, 10:14 PM
I guess I'll give you a report from the front line, as I'm in Afghanistan right now. If you're going to make some care packages, we'd like to see a little more healthy stuff in them. I know I would. I'm 240 right now, and the Army says I can only weigh 229 for my height. That doesn't really mean anything, but a lot of care packages we get are filled with junkfood. You would cringe if you saw what we have to choose from on a daily basis in the chow hall. Fried, boiled, and generally nasty food is the norm. I know I would like to see more care packages with neccessities such as soap, toothpaste, and toothbrushes. It's kinda sad, and I really feel bad when I do it, but a lot of the candy and chips get thrown out because no one wants it. There's just so much crap you tolerate. Honestly, there isn't much I can think of that hasn't been sent to us already. Numerous times at that. When I was in Iraq, I gathered all of the toiletries I could from care packages that were to be thrown out. I didn't buy anything for the forteen months I was back in the States because I had so much, and I have a wife and two kids. That should give you an idea of how much stuff comes over here.
just noticed thats where you are at, my brother is in or near salerno, he is in the city of khowst..he just left a few days ago to go back after his 2 week leave, spoke to him today and he is in bagram waiting to head the rest of the way back

69HemiGTX
01-31-2010, 08:13 AM
TrailerRider, the rules are pretty similar to sending mail anywhere, it's just that you can't send a box to "Any Soldier" anymore. I can't beleive that was possible, but up until recently, it was. Now you have to have a name on the box for it to be sent. I don't know if it's Army wide yet, but I know we aren't supposed to get boxes with our ranks on them. If I had a camera, I would post a pic of the guys I work with, but I'm taking care of bills right now, so no camera yet. I also need to find out what kind of pics we're allowed to take here. This sure ain't Iraq. A lot of rules.

Corndawg, I bet your brother got here either last night or today. The weather has been bad lately, especially in Bagram. One of our guys just came back from there, and he got stuck for a week because the mountain weather has been really bad. I'm not sure how close to the town of Khost I am, but I'm definitely in Khost province. I'd ask what company or battalion he's with, but that's a no-no. OPSEC means a lot here. Pakistan is just a little too close.

corndawg
01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Corndawg, I bet your brother got here either last night or today. The weather has been bad lately, especially in Bagram. One of our guys just came back from there, and he got stuck for a week because the mountain weather has been really bad. I'm not sure how close to the town of Khost I am, but I'm definitely in Khost province. I'd ask what company or battalion he's with, but that's a no-no. OPSEC means a lot here. Pakistan is just a little too close.

you were pretty spot on with that estimate.... just checked his mailing address, it says fob salerno