PDA

View Full Version : I think I got ABS..........

ATC crazy
08-16-2003, 11:50 PM
The brakes on my Foreman completely S-U-C-K trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro :x (sorry, had to use that word) They will not lock up on asphalt, and they will not lock up while BACKING DOWN A HILLCLIMB, or going down my gravel driveway!! :evil: (all of this in 2wd) And these are just the hydraluic drum front brakes, not the mechanical rear drums. They are worse...the cables are completely stretched (or there are no pads left). I have to literally put my heel on the pedal and push as hard as I can. Water keeps pushing grease into the front drums causing them to lock up occasionally under the slightest pressure. You have to adjust the fronts after virtually every ride (not hard, but very, very annoying). It seems like the faster you go the worse they are. When I'm going like 25mph, they will usually do an OK job. But when at 35mph+.....You would have better luck using your feet. :?

I am seriously considering the disk brake conversion from High-Lifter :-P But that dosen't work for the rears :x

J.D.
08-16-2003, 11:56 PM
Do the conversion. Everyone says "OH HONDA IS DA BEST DEY ROOL LIKE DA KINGS DID IN DA OLD DAYZ" yet they still use drum brakes? COME ON PEOPLE, LET"S GET WITH THE PROGRAM HERE, IT"S THE 21ST CENTURY YO!!!

Email High lifter and say "MAKE REAR BRAKE CONVERSIONS FOR MY FOREMAN YOU SUNZA BITCHES SINCE ITS MY IDEA YOU GIMME DA DAMN THING FO FREE YO!"

ATC crazy
08-17-2003, 01:11 AM
LMFAO... :D :D

Is this what we expect from our new Moderators..... :D ;)

Bill X_R
08-17-2003, 01:50 AM
they will not lock up while BACKING DOWN A HILLCLIMB

This happens because the the shoes are forced into the drum, by the way the shoes piviot on the pin they rest on.

groundfly
08-17-2003, 10:31 AM
hmmmmmmm :? YO :?:

ATC crazy
08-17-2003, 11:05 AM
they will not lock up while BACKING DOWN A HILLCLIMB

This happens because the the shoes are forced into the drum, by the way the shoes piviot on the pin they rest on.

I know how they work, buy what do shoes being forced into the drum have to do with anything. While backing down a hill the front end is a hundred or more pounds lighter so you would think they would lock up when the front brake lever is touching the grip :rolleyes:

Kilborg
08-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Look at it this way. The bike is designed to go around 20mph under ideal conditions...The gearing is low, and (Atleast i think its a full time, these ones werent selectable were they?) the 4 wheel drive is full time. Put disk brakes up front, see how all that newfound stopping power helps you. Eating a bit too much mud from your high speed stoppies sending you flailing through the air? Wish you had a regular old 450 again?

Sure, the kit has benefits...lots of them really. Drums arent a swell choice, but honda was looking at it from a safety and a demand viewpoint. Does this big tank that crawls around 70% of the time need brakes capable of halting a 250r on a dime? Do we need to spend the extra money to make it do so and make it less affordable? You may be running bigger tires, and that can play some havoc with drums. Go through the system, because drums arent that bad. Get some new shoes in there, adjust it proper, etc.

ATC crazy
08-17-2003, 01:40 PM
My Foreman is an '02 model which has the 4x4/2x4 switch so its faster than the full-time 4x4's. And I ride mine a lot faster than Honda designed the Foreman to be ridden :twisted: so I could use all the braking help I can get. The drums I have now are a pain in the butt. All they do is lock up until they get heated up, then they just plain dont work....Hehe....they fill up with water too. I guess they'll work for now....I just had to vent a little.

YTZ250#1
08-17-2003, 11:16 PM
high lifter already makes a rear disc conversion for all honda drum brake
systems.But for what you pay for a new ride they should be on there anyway.

J.D.
08-17-2003, 11:47 PM
LMFAO... :D :D

Is this what we expect from our new Moderators..... :D ;)

Sorry...had a bit too much to drink last night, things got out of hand...wheeee!

ATC crazy
08-17-2003, 11:57 PM
high lifter already makes a rear disc conversion for all honda drum brake
systems.But for what you pay for a new ride they should be on there anyway.

Do you have a link to this?....I cant find it on their site :(

YTZ250#1
08-18-2003, 10:12 PM
It is in the september 03 dirtwheels under the title(over the bars)it says they got a peek at the rear disc system when they were testing the front.
It also says they will be testing it in the next issue on a rancher 350.
Make sure you get a copy of the october dirt wheels and you will see how they work.They tested the fronts in this issue and said they were flawless.

ATC crazy
08-20-2003, 12:18 AM
Sweet...I will definately have to check this stuff out. It would be worth every penny :-P