PDA

View Full Version : Catfish!?!?

yamaha200E
08-17-2003, 06:24 PM
i just got back form a pond that my parents know the people that own it. and i was there for asnd hour and half. when all of a sudden my pole hits the water. i start slididng down the bank and i jurck my pole real hard. then i push my relese button to let him runn so he wont break the line. then all of a sudden my pole jurcks real hard again. well he ran so far that i ran out of line so i start running around the pond the let him have more line. then he quits running so i start realling in and he starts running AGAIN this went on for boput 2 min. then i started to real again real fast and he comes to the top of the water and i see how big he is. and he is huge he was as long as my dads arm. and twice as fat as his arm! well i get him to the bank and me and my dad finally get him up the hill. and he was 6.2 pounds on my scale. and he was slimy. but the dude that owned the pond wouldnt let me keep him! he said that hes goin to try to catch him later that mofo. but it was fun and i have planes on goin back leter tomorow. any body else have any stories like this? if so i wanna hear them.
kyle

ATC crazy
08-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Well...earlier this summer, me and some friends got in our canoe's and fished on the Roanoke River all day and we didnt catch squat. As we were pulling our canoe's out, some guy fishing from the bank hooks one. So we stay around for a while to see what he pulls out. He's fighting it for several minutes but finally gets it to shore. It was a huge Striper (Striper, NOT Stripper). My friend got out his electronic scale and let the man weigh it. It came in at 8.3lbs. Nice Fish ;)

jeswinehart
08-17-2003, 10:04 PM
river fishing is how i got started scuba diving. born near the river + learned and played along it growing up, i didn't start fishing till shortly b-4 going into the navy. after the service i had less money then when i went in so bottom fishing + wading was cheap entertainment.
i would re-treive my hung up spinners by going in after them and got the idea to take a mask with me on one weekend float down the pigeon river,,, saved a bundle in lures and seen fish too !
yeah anyway,,, had some big ones on, a few landed + many i never did see what the heck they were,,,
the best thing i like about river fishing is that you never fish the same water twice.

john

AirManCam
08-17-2003, 11:11 PM
6.2 lbs is big? THe biggest catfish ive ever caught was 27.3 lbs. That fawker was huge! The biggest salmon ive ever cought was a 53lb king. That was on my flyrod! I am one diehard fisherman and hunter and triker. But that was the biggest fish ive ever cought. Not too mention on a damn flyrod! Oh did I mention that it took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to bring the king in! :D

ATC crazy
08-18-2003, 12:06 AM
They were working on the dam just up the road, and the divers came up and requested shark cages because the fish were so big. No joke, it was in the paper too...

kyle
08-18-2003, 07:38 AM
I do a lot of fishing, Catfish and Bass fishing are my favs. Cats grow to be pretty big here in Ohio, at Charles Mill Lake where we camp and boat, people pull Blue Cats up to 60lbs out of there! It's all mud bottom and Catfish like to burry themselves in the mud, that big of a Catfish is not good eating, 2-3lbs is perfect eating.

AirManCam
08-18-2003, 11:27 AM
They were working on the dam just up the road, and the divers came up and requested shark cages because the fish were so big. No joke, it was in the paper too...
We had the same problem in my town. There was pike so big the divers were scared to go down in there. Im thinking to my self give me a harpoon gun and ill go down there and get rid of them fish :twisted: because there too smart to bite. Yeah and then when I was in mississippi there were blue catfish well over 100lbs. At the dams in the river. People would be supprised on how big the fish get. They dont think it untill they get one on and then there like wtf do I have on here? LOL.

yamaha200E
08-18-2003, 11:59 AM
well here in so illinois at rendlake damn a guy had a trout line stung acrossed it. and all of a sudden it dissepeard and the guy and me my dad and several other people finally got it out of water and he had a 250 pound cat on it!
kyle

AirManCam
08-18-2003, 09:28 PM
well here in so illinois at rendlake damn a guy had a trout line stung acrossed it. and all of a sudden it dissepeard and the guy and me my dad and several other people finally got it out of water and he had a 250 pound cat on it!
kyle
For real? What kind of cat was it? How the hell did you guys pull it up lol? I bet it put up quite the pull heh?

yamaha200E
08-18-2003, 09:44 PM
it was one of those flat head cats and hell yea it put up a fight! that thing bought pulled us in then we got a come along and pulled it up. we almost broke the trout line :shock: . that thing was huge!
kyle

ATC crazy
08-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Around here they fish for them with steel cable instead of regular fishing line. Once hooked, they drag them over to shore and hook the line up to a truck and drag them out.

AirManCam
08-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Around here they fish for them with steel cable instead of regular fishing line. Once hooked, they drag them over to shore and hook the line up to a truck and drag them out.
That is a smart idea. Hmm but that takes all of the fun out of it though! I would rather get some ocean liine and rod and fight the **edited** ! :D

Dave
08-20-2003, 02:23 AM
I thought I was going to have to bust out the waders ... was getting a little deep in here.

Some of the post here are very credible, others are .. well... its getting a bit deep.. all in good fun.

Let me figure out how to post pics on here and get a few pics scanned...

In south-central Minnesota where I grew up .. our bait weighed up to 2 lbs for cats(Flatheads).. no joke.

Pic's will follow within a couple days...

speed20
08-20-2003, 02:29 AM
yes....Kyle is exactly correct...catfish in ohio are huge!!! especially in little ponds and stuff...there was a pond right beside the neighbors house where i used to live, noone ever fishes there, but i decided to fish there one day with a friend...well i casted out to about the middle and i was JUST getting ready to let it sit there, and my pole almost bent in half, so i tugged on it and hooked it, it took me about 5-10 minutes to get it in....but there it sat, a 14 pound catfish, in a little pond about 2 acres big...theres ALOT of bass in there too....my friend caught a 6 pound largemouth out there like 2 weeks after i got the cat....wish i still lived out there......there are also alot of reservoirs around where i live i can name 4 right off hand (new london, willard,norwalk, greenwich (no good!).

Dan Tenn
08-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Let me get in the boat, I think my waders are filling up. Its getting really deep in here.

"well here in so illinois at rendlake damn a guy had a trout line stung acrossed it. and all of a sudden it dissepeard and the guy and me my dad and several other people finally got it out of water and he had a 250 pound cat on it!"

"it was one of those flat head cats"

Illinois State Records
http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/records.cfm?state=Illinois

Flathead Catfish 78 lbs 0 oz Carlyle Lake Jody Harris Clinton 8/11/1995

U.S. Record Flathead Catfish
http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=11
Kansas 123 lbs 0 oz 61" Elk City Reservoir Ken Paulie 5/14/1998

I swear, the fish was THIS big ;)

Howdy
08-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Let me get in the boat, I think my waders are filling up. Its getting really deep in here.

LMAO, Thanks for links. I think you caught the biggest ones though. lol
Howdy