PDA

View Full Version : Sand Drag Trikes

Cadaver Dog
01-28-2010, 06:29 PM
I've noticed that sometimes if someone builds A mainly straight line machine out of something like A KX 500 put into a Tecate or whatever often it's got an extended swing arm presumably to keep wheel stands down, better control, etc. BUT I've seen some trikes on YouTube and I had this catalog as a kid from High Performance ATV in California and they sold these rigid frames (and some some suspended frames like the RD 400 trikes you see with the groovy 70s paint jobs) that fit various bike bore dirt bike and street bike motors and used ATC 90 components but they were stretched to the front, which seems the complete opposite logic of the extended swing arm deal. Though the long front would be like a drag bike or top fuel dragster. Anyway I posted this on here because I figured anyone who'd have thoughts/experience on the whole thing would possibly be some of the folks building the cool stuff on this section of the forum.

Billy Golightly
01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Its easier to bolt on an extended swing-arm than build a whole new frame that extends out the front. Extending the front, for drag racing is definitely better. The motor is closer to the rear wheel so you've got better traction. Look at the top fuel dragster configuration. And a lot of the high dollar dirt drag quads are going to very similar designs now (rider sits right over the back tires, Very long narrow front end with something related to bicycle tires on the front). Any serious track machine is a straight rigid. But you can't ride a rigid on the dunes, or really anywhere else other than a laser graded and flattened track. There are PLENTY of drag tracks there is no way I'd ride a rigid down. They have to be super super groomed well. So guys build them with suspension, and extended the rear end out to make due as they can.

Vealmonkey
01-29-2010, 12:08 AM
The main reason behind the Hi Performance ATC frames being kind of long in the front is so the same frame could hold different engines better and all they would have to do is change the engine mounts. Sort of a "universal" frame for lack of a better term. I have one of those frames currently with an RD350 engine, but I do have an H2 engine also that would bolt right in by just fabbing the engine mounts. Also the early aftermarket frames wether Hi Performance ATC or other makers were mostly rigid is because the trikes of the time were rigids. Most of these frame makers were popping up towards the end of the 70s and there weren't trikes with suspensions yet. But it didn't really matter as most of these trikes were for the sand where a rigid frame is more forgiving. There were also companines that popped up using custom made swingarms that would use a street bikes dual rear shocks and that was right around the time as the 250r was making it's debut. Once the 250r arrived on the scene, it seemed that everything changed and all the frame makers switched over to what the customer wanted and that was "suspension" frames. Most of these frame makers were also making conversion kits to turn a hard tail trike into a suspension trike. And some of these kits were really rather ingenious if you see them. If you are dragging on dirt, a suspension frame is a big plus unless you are running at a track where they are really on top of the surface conditions of the track, which it seems very few do. Surface maintenance has a tendency to slow down the racing quite a bit. Those old frames are still out there though. I mean, I found one in a shed here in Baltimore, Maryland of all places! It really seems the best places to watch for things like that is around the popular desert spots out on the left coast. Pismo, Glamis and places near areas like that are great spots to find older, unwanted, unique trikes. It just takes some searching and being in the right place at the right time. And you could always post an ad in one of those kinds of places local newspapers stating what you are looking for. You may get lucky. In the tougher economic times, people are a little more willing to cut loose that special project that has been sitting in the back of the shed. Best of luck with your hunt.

Cadaver Dog
02-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the great replies. I think that was one of the things I really miss about the ATC Era was all the conversion kit kind of things that were around. Granted I was born in '76 so I was still pretty young by '87. But now it seems like everything is just high dollar bolt ons for already made stuff I dunno. I may be looking back with rose tinted glasses because I still say corny slasher movies just feel "right" on VHS compared to DVD. Does your RD 350 frame use a swing arm of their design (assuming I read you right and it's not a rigid) I wonder if those things handled well enough to be much more than essentially a staight line/dune deal anyway?

Vealmonkey
02-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Yes, the whole design was Hi Performance ATC. The rear axle is even their "deluxe" hollow chromoly axle! The rear brake is actually the front disc brake assembly of the RD350. The frame takes a honda atc90 based steering stem front end with custom triple trees. It takes the atc90 rear fenders and what ever fuel tank you decide to use. The suspensions were limited back then to the shock technology mainly. So it is about the same ride as the 81-82 atc250r. Not gobs of rear suspenion trave, but way better than a hardtail. With a custom shock, the ride could be pretty nice. The frame is nice and simple and very sturdy. It has a built in battey box, as the RD you had to use the battery. The h2 750 you don't have to use a battery. Been toying with that ideal back and forth. And it would be an easy trike to get inspected for highway use with the RD350 stuff I have with title. And of course the RD350 had all the turnsignals and tag light and working brake lights and everything.

Cadaver Dog
02-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I've thought about that before with the Honda 185/200 bikes like if you swapped in the stuff from the enduro counterpart (xl 185/200) like you could have all the bells and whistles to be legal. I saw a place that has DOT approved tires for the 4-110mm bolt pattern Does that axle have that 3-hole pattern? It might be fun for buzzing around town. I don't suppose you know what ever became of that company? I did a web search a while ago and didn't really get anything.

Vealmonkey
02-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I believe they are still in business as Hi Performance ATV. The city and an old phone number is listed on the the decal on the steering head of the frame. Oh, and it's still the 3 bolt hole pattern. That's what most of the trikes were set up as since old 90/110 parts were quite plentiful. I also don't know of the exact year of the frame or when exactly the suspension frames came out. Someone on here had downloads of a Hi Performance ATC catalog on the site here. I have a copy of a catalog with my frame in it around here somewhere also. Pretty interesting stuff, atleast for me anyway. LOL

Cadaver Dog
02-04-2010, 04:57 PM
I remember details from the catalog 20 years later so I'd say it's not just interesting to you alone:D

freaksfix
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
That was the look i went for when building my drag bke, old school and hand built. Back then also befor my time it was just run what you brung/built, everything home made and mismatched, custom this and and that. Realy cool stuff..

Ive since added a single wheel to the wheelie bar from a go cart, and its got some realy cool Turbo wheels.. I'll try and get some updated pics this week Veal..

dani filth
02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
i am new to this site and i am in the process of building a 110 drag bike with a hot 150 motor. and i was wandering. what kind of frame is that you are running?