PDA

View Full Version : Got a new toy

300rman
02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
S&W Sigma .40
The stainless slide and barrel were coated black. has 2-300 rounds through it. picked everything you see for 450 from a family friend. Not too bad of a deal i didn't think.
I will use this for my CCW when i get it.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/NightBiker07/101_1062.jpg

hancadam
02-08-2010, 07:32 PM
You can get them new for 299.99 with 2 mags at Academy sports here. The S&W has a rebate for two more mags or 50 bucks. I went the two mag route, took 3 weeks.

They are great guns though. Mine has been flawless, but has only around 1k rounds through it. Enjoy it!!

300rman
02-08-2010, 09:24 PM
i know they can be had cheaper, but i dont like the stainless top much. he paid 75 to have the top blackened, so i may have overpaid 25-50 bucks, but if i was that worried about 50 bucks, i wouldnt have bought it. when i get some more cash, he has 15 round mags he will sell me for 25 a piece, and they do fit the pistol.

hancadam
02-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Its no doubt a fair deal. The Academy prices are insane. Nobody else sells them that cheap. Most places have them for 379.99, ad taxes and bgc and your right at what you paid minus the refinishing.

Thorpe
02-08-2010, 10:55 PM
I bought mine for $300 (new at Gander Mnt.) and got 2 hi cap mags with it... Love the sigma, not had a single problem with mine... Easy to lighten the trigger pull on too... :naughty:

300rman
02-09-2010, 12:35 AM
yeah, trigger pull is a little stiff. gonna lighten that up in the near future

Trimotomike
02-09-2010, 09:28 AM
S&W Sigma .40
The stainless slide and barrel were coated black. has 2-300 rounds through it. picked everything you see for 450 from a family friend. Not too bad of a deal i didn't think.
I will use this for my CCW when i get it.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/NightBiker07/101_1062.jpg

thats really nice man , I am currently trying to talk my cousin into selling me his S&W shorty 40 police issue but no luck so far . Nice gun though . My girlfriend got me a Hipoint 380 for xmas (first handgun) fun to shoot but ammo is so hard to get .

Kintore
02-09-2010, 09:45 AM
You know, I never got the whole americans and guns thing.

Till I started hanging out with you people and now I love shooting guns! Funny how that works!

Looks awesome!

The Goat
02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Don't lighten that trigger pull if you plan to use it for CCW... any modification you do to that weapon is a weapon you're handing the prosecutor if you ever have to use it.

Very low power aluminum casing loads will jam if you have hands like a fairy, otherwise it's just as reliable as the glock I carry. The smith stays by the bed.

SWIGIN
02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure I follow you Goat, whats wrong with a lighter trigger? It's not illegal to have a gun with a trigger job. And how would they know anyway unless they shoot it.

If the trigger was to heavy for me I'd lighten it up some for sure.

300rman
02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
yeah, im not too sure i understand what he said either.

i already did it myself anyways. there are a few extra springs that are there to solely make the pull stiff. removing them doesnt seem to affect reliability, but if it does when i get to target shooting, i will put them back in.

it still has a 5-6lb pull, no way around that, as it is a dual-action mechanism. definitely no hair trigger.

jays375
02-09-2010, 09:25 PM
I do think he kinda of charged you a little much for it.He would have been lucky to get half of that on a trade or buy back.When I purchased my 460 Smith and Wesson you could get a Sigma for $100 so I did.The trigger pull does suck,really affects accuracy.What springs do you remove?I was looking at spring kit for mine.

300rman
02-09-2010, 11:12 PM
check your PM box. if anyone else wants this info, PM me.

The Goat
02-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Having a gun with a trigger job is not illegal. Using a gun with a trigger job as a concealed carry gun is a risk. Why?

Simple... Let's say the circumstances are even mildly questionable: ie... a single eye witness. If the DA decides to pursue you've just given him a nice little tool to make you look like a trigger crazy lunatic. It's very likely that they will use that simple seemingly innocuous modification to point out to the jury that you wanted your gun to be deadlier than it was coming from the manufacturer. Don't believe it's an issue? Take a look at self defense cases that went to a conviction for manslaughter or murder in the last few years. There have been instances where a person used a 10mm...and the DA used the caliber as a means to convince the jury that the person acting in self defense really chose that caliber because they wanted to do more damage and kill someone.

It's BS...but as a rule of thumb, you don't modify the weapon you will be carrying concealed. If you head over to gunrightsradio.com and view their forum you will see many retired police officers and current IDPA shooters who are frequently called in as expert witnesses. Time and time again a prosecutor is able to score a conviction simply by convincing the jury that the person carrying made cold calculated decisions when modifying their weapon, choosing a caliber, or a carry ammo. As a safety measure, many CCW holders contact their local law enforcement agency to see the carry round/caliber that the department mandates their officers use, and then they carry that round. In doing so, they are able to remove one more risk.

Some seem to think the most risky part of being a CCW holder is the time when you are forced to draw your weapon in self defense...the most risky part... occurs after. Because that's when your DA is going to review the evidence and decide if he's going to ream you or not.

You're carrying a weapon to possibly save your life...and you throw it away by modifying it. Life's a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro ain't it?

Dirtcrasher
02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I can already hear a prosecutor "he modified the gun himself viewing these web sites (prosecuter enters your PC as evidence) and was waiting for the 1st opportunity to kill someone. That poor homeless thief merely wanted his wallet and not his life or the others taken..........."

I get what Goats sayin 100%. If it's pre-modded and you didn't know? Then fine, your not a gun expert and didn't claim to be .....................

hancadam
02-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Our instructors talked about this very same thing as well. You don't want to come off as eager to shoot.

skippy
02-10-2010, 09:57 PM
The "goat ster" is correct.. As a retired police officer, I can tell you the same thing. I worked in our gun unit for approx 7 yrs. And squirrels were what we were looking for! The guys we served warrants on were the ones that "pushed" it alittle too far. The court did not show any remorse! I love GUNS! We all should have 1, 2, or 20! But you never want to get on the other end of a law suit like that.. Trust me, you can look up mine! It was tough! And I was justified! Keep it stock, go thru a training, shooting course, and have everything lined up, so you can minize risk!

300rman
02-11-2010, 01:40 AM
I can understand what is being said, but the question here is shot accuracy. having a 10-12 lb trigger pull can greatly affect accuracy, causing barrel rise, causing you to miss and hit an unintended target. i understand that with frequent shooting, it is a non-issue, but in a nervous situation, it could still affect accuracy. The trigger pull is still 5-6 pounds, so it isnt like it is super easy or even the easiest on the market. Besides, i could have bought the gun like this from the previous owner. But the biggest thing is how the pull affects accuracy. i can always stuff the springs back into it if need be. hell, my buddies hammerless airweight .38 has a measly 2lb pull that he carries everywhere.

The Goat
02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Then his trigger pull has been modified.

The fact that you haven't considered all aspects of the shooting and what to do before/after tells me you aren't ready to carry.

Don't mean to come off as a dick...but that's FACT.

Don't want to see you go to jail for a justifiable shooting. As for the sigma's accuracy with the heavy trigger pull, shoot more often and you will be more than accurate enough out to 25 yards. Personally I prefer quick draws at 10ft or less. That's where it's going to happen anyways.

300rman
02-13-2010, 01:44 PM
i cant get my CCW until september anyways, so your right, im not ready to carry it yet. i have a lot of research to do before i bother to take the class.

69HemiGTX
02-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Nice score! I bought a Ruger LCR .38+P for my wife just before I deployed. I could have gotten a better deal, but it was what I wanted, when I wanted it. I bought the first pistol below as a reward for my Iraq deployment. Fusion Firearms custom 1911 chambered in the ultimate pistol round - 10mm! :naughty: I was going to order another one as a twin for this deployment to Afghanistan, but I think I'll wait until I get back. It will be my primary carry pistol. The second pic is what I'll start with, but it will have a few choice changes made. Aluminum frame, chainlink checkering, K-trigger, undercut combat hammer, full-length guide rod, Heinie Straight-8 sights, and of course, 10mm! I love that round! :crazy: :D

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2222/2314539/6155167/382743981.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2222/2314539/6155167/382743982.jpg

300rman
02-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Nice score!

chambered in the ultimate pistol round - 10mm! ]

Thanks! but i think the S&W 500 round has a bit more ass behind it, assuming you could hold that monster straight and not let it snap your wrist when you shot it :lol: