PDA

View Full Version : cr80 trike conversion begins. Wish me luck

bushwacker51
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
I purchased a 1992 cr80 for 300 dollars from craigs list. I have decided to make it into a 3 wheeler for my son. I am gathering parts forthe project as we speak. I have purchased a set of 200x triple trees and forks, I am going to attempt to use a 1985 250r swing arm and axle. I also purchased a wisco crank and rod assembly and and new dirt digger clutches . I have decided to rebuild the engine first and I am going to send the head and cylinder to MAD MAN enginering to be ported and the cylinder reniscle plated. I will post pictures as I progress. Any thoughts and comments are welcome. Please dont be to hard on me this is my first attempt at such a project. Glenn O.

torker
02-10-2010, 02:35 AM
This should be a cool conversion. What still worries me is the rake of the bikes. I would use 16" rear tires at most. Gotta keep this as light as possible, specially on the rotating mass. 80cc engines are very peaky and don't have torque. But they go as a raped monkey when properly ridden. Raced them when I was a kid.
Have you thought of using a quad front hub and wheel, brake rotor and all? That should give you the posibility of lighter and smaller as well as a lot of options for front tires and wheels. That's what I was going to do, but never got around to. I'm sure the stock front axle will fit. You'll need to have the front axle spacers made for sure.

TORKER.

factoryX
02-10-2010, 02:38 AM
http://www.lukesracing.com/luksr/cr102.htm

jmack3986
02-10-2010, 02:39 AM
If the swing arm doesn't fit contact HRE he can make one that will work for you application

audioworks04
02-10-2010, 03:17 AM
Any thoughts as far rear shock? Planning on using the 85 250r with the 85 250r linkage? Will probably need to fidgure out a new rear shock mount if this is the case. I am not sure if the 200x triples have rake built in, but I believe they do, this could cause some steering issues for you. I would throw an angle finder the front end before to start breaking the 80 down and see what it is at now. You will want your rake to be no more than what it is OEM.
Good luck and keep us updated.

bushwacker51
02-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all the helpful comments. I have considered the rake and will check it. I have a tig and wig wire welder and grinderr so I am not scared to cut the frame and change the rake. I am wondering what to do about the front hub. You mentioned a quad front hub and brake assembly. Any idea what kind of quad you would use and what is the spacer you are talking about that needs to be built?. Thanks Glenn O.

torker
02-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Any quad front hub can be made to work. Warrior/Blaster/Banshee etc are cheap and plentiful. Also, there are all kinds of rims for the Yamahas. Take the front hub, rotor and wheel as an assembly. Try the trike axle for fit and modify accordingly to center the wheel, tire and hub. This is done with spacers. Now, the quad hubs are "thinner" than the trikes and I'm sure that wider spacers will need to be made. Then make a mount for the quad stock front caliper and you should be done. Here's a schematic:

http://i46.tinypic.com/11vphqt.gif

You won't be using the quad spindle.

Hope this helps.
TORKER.