PDA

View Full Version : Tires for MX

jmack3986
02-10-2010, 12:10 AM
What are the best tires to run for dirt on a 250R for like the PA Ohio and michigan area? i want to make sure i can hook up well.

leviblue
02-10-2010, 12:38 AM
All depends on the track...indoors or out... heck I was running beat Razors at Summit and they were too much but your feet stuck to the track like a movie theater floor

Louis Mielke
02-10-2010, 01:40 AM
18" tires get you nice and low and usually break loose easier than larger tires. It really depends on what kinda of racing you're doing. I would think GNCC would use different tires.

Most of the MX trike guys like 18" fast trekkers.

For real sticky tracks 18" carlise lawn mower tires even work well!

jmack3986
02-10-2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah I'm running 18" tires but I'm not sure on the tread pattern. Most the tracks near me are wet disced and plowed so its kinda chunky. Im coming from florida though so I'm use to riding in sand just trying to see what is good all around.

jensenracing77
02-10-2010, 06:10 AM
are you running a TRX or ATC? it will be two differant tire setups between the two.

Kintore
02-10-2010, 09:06 AM
18" tires get you nice and low and usually break loose easier than larger tires. It really depends on what kinda of racing you're doing. I would think GNCC would use different tires.

Most of the MX trike guys like 18" fast trekkers.

For real sticky tracks 18" carlise lawn mower tires even work well!

IF your on a ATC, I have yet to ride/race on anything better than the trekkers.
I have tried, lawn mowers, Turf Tamers, Razrs and the like....

Louis Mielke
02-10-2010, 10:05 AM
are you running a TRX or ATC? it will be two differant tire setups between the two.

Amen! :w00t: The man knows his quads and his racing.

super90
02-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I run 18'' pirelli race rails on my 450 and know people who run them on trikes. I bought mine brand new for 32 bucks a piece. They wear like iron even on a 450 that spins constantly and hook up great. Seem to work good for a cheap tire.

3leggeddog
02-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Tires depend on the track,and even the conditon of that track.

Hard packed tracks-1 grooved turf flamers work good
2-Holeshot SX
3-Maxxis Razors-Yellow label/pro compound

Loose loamy tracks-1 ITP quadcross MX pro
2 Maxxis Razors-either compound-grooved
3 Holeshot MXR's

Fronts-I like the quadcross fronts for any condition.Also the Yellow label Maxxis Razor's work well about everywhere.I just got a set of Razor Cross and will have a better opinion on them this summer.

tires vary alot from track to track,and machine to machine.Rider taste has alot to do with it too.

eddie pettengil
02-28-2010, 03:08 PM
What about 10 inch wheels for these 18 inch fast trekkers. Real low profile, wondering about the rim taking a beating. What would work good?

JohnR.
02-28-2010, 03:24 PM
I think you might want a little more sidewall than that. I don't see any of the quad guys running an 18 on a 10 and if it was a good set up I'm sure a lot of guys would be using it.

eddie pettengil
02-28-2010, 03:46 PM
I think the reason the trike guys like the 10 inch wheel is for easier sliding. The quad guys use the 8 inch wheel to get more roll and grip out of the tire. This is just what I have heard. No side wall flex = less grip.

JohnR.
02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Could be. I know a lot of the quad guys used to run Turf Tamers and shave a bunch of the knobs off.

jensenracing77
02-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Could be. I know a lot of the quad guys used to run Turf Tamers and shave a bunch of the knobs off.
cutting off some of the knobs on turf tamers will make them have much more forward bite. it don't help side bite all that much. the newer MX tires for quads made the turf tamers obsolete for quads.

JohnR.
02-28-2010, 05:55 PM
It sounds like you know what you have to do then.

eddie pettengil
02-28-2010, 06:52 PM
lol, I think I will make another thread for wheels, instead of asking in a tire thread.

Meat-BoX
03-09-2010, 05:01 PM
20" Fast Trekkers on 10" rims is a real good setup, bit more ground clearance and good all around tread

3leggeddog
03-10-2010, 09:16 AM
20" Fast Trekkers on 10" rims is a real good setup, bit more ground clearance and good all around tread

NOT fora quad! I tried the setup once and it was horrible.

the idea behind grooving turf tamers is so they work in mulitple conditions.you can groove them for different tracks.1 style of groove may work on one track,but not another.Turf tamers are versatile tire's and can be grooved to work well any where,ON A 2 STROKE,they do not work as well on the modern 4 stroke quads!It was more the eveluation of the quad,not tires that made Turf Tamers not as popular

black02ktm
03-11-2010, 03:01 AM
I agree, the 18x9.5x8 turf tamer is a very good MX tire for a 2-stroke. And personally I would go for that size and less ground clearance to lower you C.G. especially on a trike. They work best on hard packed clay, the kind that is black with rubber. They don't work that great in heavy mud (uncut). When you run the right pressure for the scenario, you can get perfect sidewall wrinkle, I've seen it in my race pics. They are good because they don't have a huge bite on a couple large lugs, they work great when spinning which will help to keep her on the pipe and drifting through the turns. BTW, I mean drift like to slide toward the outside of a corner while turning, not that crappy sport with no tangible way to determining a winner.