PDA

View Full Version : SandBlasting Advice

celicagt23
02-11-2010, 05:06 PM
OK Folks,

I am thinking about buying a Sand/Media blaster and I need some advice on what to look for while shopping for one.

What size sand blaster is a good size? I see some from Harbor Freight that are decently priced and considering that I wont be using it all the time, the Harbor Freight models may be completely acceptable for my uses. I am looking to start a project three wheeler and would like to blast the frame, etc, etc while rebuilding. Also I have a three wheeler now that could use a few minor touch ups, a four wheeler that could use the racks redone and a few spots on the frame and foot pegs and so on and so on.

Below are some that I looked at via Harbor Freight. These are all pressurized units versus siphon units. Anyone have an opinion on the differences between the siphon and pressurized units? One better than the other?

Here is a 20lb pressurized abrasive blaster: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40925

Here is a 40lb pressurized abrasive blaster: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34202

Here is a 110lb pressurized abrasive blaster: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95014

Furthermore I only have a smally air compressor now and will probably buy a larger one of those as well. My current air compressor is only a Craftsman 1.5 HP, 3 gal, delivering 2.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI. This compressor works fine for small applications such as running nail guns or pumping up tires and things of that sort but I am sure it would not hold up for sand blasting. Any suggestions there are also welcome.

Thanks all!

Vealmonkey
02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Personally, I've never been much of a fan of sand blasting. I prefer bead blasting. It's a little slower, but it's much easier on your parts. I've seen some perfectly good and expensive parts ruined by sand blasting. I've seen a sand blaster all but make parts disappear. Beware of sand blasting.

jensenracing77
02-11-2010, 06:55 PM
you will have much more in your compressor than the blaster. as for the ones you posted, i would choose the largest one. it has a more user friendly nozzle than the other two. i have a large blast cabinet and love it. my air compressor is a 13 cfm and i really need a bigger one. with most blasting you will want at least a 13 cfm. for the media, you can use glass bead for some parts and other parts will require something like sand. i have a fine glass bead that makes aluminum parts look new. this same glass bead will not touch powder coat. you have to use something much more harsh with that.

hublake
02-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I have two blasting cabinets one big and one smaller. Things like frames I take to a shop that will do a frame for around $40.00 Most other parts I can get in my cabinets. As jensenracing77 said the air compressor is the big thing. I have a large compressor that puts out around 11cfm and wish it was bigger. I have used glass beads and they do a better job but are more expensive. I get some stuff at Tractor Supply for around $7.00 a 40 lb bag and it works just fine for me.

Dirtcrasher
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
I too let shops do the big stuff, they have the air and the machine to do it well.......

Every Harbor Freight unit I've ever bought needed some type of work. Yes, I am a bit fussy, but I need my stuff to work. Crappy plumbing, poor legs/structure and getting parts such as wear items can be a hassle.

Pressure blasters make a complete disaster. They must be used out doors. Unless you can recover the sand (and if you do, one tiny piece will clog your machine SOMEWHERE, :lol:) I've had stems from a leaf or things just as small create a complete shutdown and 30 minutes of clean up and remove time, then you have to wait to build up 120-150PSI again.

They blast like crazy for about 45 seconds with a full 33 gallon tank and a single stage compressor.....Then the sand barely pisses out and it's 5 minutes until you can blast again.

I own a pressure unit and a cabinet and I've had to modify them both and the pressure blaster rarely gets used now; I would rather recover the sand in my cabinet.

I am near 100% satisfied with the HF cabinet unit once I fixed it up :D Size is your only limitation and everything BUT a frame fits. I use fine grade sand on everything (including aluminum) and it works well, but as mentioned, you do have to be careful with some stuff. Rubber will be destroyed and I'd never put a carb in there...... If I can't remove anything threaded, I do not blast that and I cover it with tape. Preserve whatever coating left that you can!! I see guys blast hubs all the time, then they're left with 4 rusty studs in a PC'd hub........................

f22parts
08-11-2011, 01:47 AM
Here is a good video of how to get the axle inside a small blast cabinet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeu8_ymI5VI

jb2wheels
08-11-2011, 09:26 AM
DC - what do you do to "fix" the HF cabinets?

I have the 40lb HF blaster. I paid less than $50 for it new (on sale + 20% off coupon). I only used it a couple of times because it makes a huge mess. I also had a hard time getting it to flow consistently but that could just as easily be operator error.

I plan to buy a cabinet this year for bead blasting.

This thread on 3WO has some neat info about cabinets and media.
http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?44883-Paint-prep

Too funny - i did not realize this is a 2 year old resurrection thread...