PDA

View Full Version : Works or Elka

smokinwrench
02-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I am getting new shocks for my R. I have been doing lots of research. After calling 3 different companies, I'm going to order cheaper shocks. High $ ones with rebound, compression, resys would be nice but I don't need it after talking with shock companies. I have been searching ebay and forums for nice used shocks but all that I have found will need rebuilt and or revalved and sprung for my wieght. After I pay for shocks and rebuilding I can buy a new shock and have it built to my weight.

Prices are about the same from one brand to the other. Do any of you have experience with both and which do you prefer? Looking on exriders most say Works because they are an easier company to work with.

Thanks

oldskool83
02-13-2010, 08:25 PM
i think elkas are a step up above works it seems. works def is cheaper from what im seeing. fox has come out with air shocks again finally after like 30 years so id really love to have a set of them. maybe should look into them and custom axis which from what i hear is a really freakin good shock.

smokinwrench
02-14-2010, 01:16 AM
So have you ran both in recent years?
What makes you say elka's are better then works?
Have you seen the cost of Fox floats?

SWIGIN
02-14-2010, 02:54 AM
I have rode with works, pep and elkas......I'd go with pep but works are similar.

smokinwrench
02-17-2010, 06:31 PM
What about TCS shocks?

I hope they are good because I just sent a paypal payment off for a set. From what I have read over the last few weeks they seem good.

They are 19.25 inches long 175-180# mx rider, remote ressys, compression and preload adjustable and just rebuilt a couple months ago.

SWIGIN
02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
I have not used those but my buddy has and said he hates them...so take that for what it is worth.

Something about only having 2 springs instead of 3 or something.

jensenracing77
02-17-2010, 09:26 PM
shocks are a topic that i have much experience with. first what are you doing with them, type of riding/racing? what size tire are you using. and also what is your budget?

smokinwrench
02-17-2010, 11:44 PM
They are triple rate. I wiegh about 195 lbs.

I would say I'm a very agressive rider, normal riding is the Arkansas River, but in this area it is dry and sandy, tons of whoops. I could ride those whoops wide open on my Predator and 525 Outlaw with 16 tooth front sprockets, it took me along time to get the suspension dialed into do that. I do race some in harescrambles, maybe a couple times per year. I go to the dunes a few times per year when I go there I ride hard and jump quite a bit getting 6-8 foot of air. Budget of $500, thats the reason for cheaper shocks. I can afford more but I'm getting older and don't need it or want to spend it, my racing days are getting numbered or at least the days of running iron man hare scrambles.

jensenracing77
02-18-2010, 07:33 PM
i would go with these
http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=node/20
i think you are on the right track by not getting used and then reworking them. it almost never works out very good in the end. for the money the Elkas would be better than works. if you ride hard and often then i would have therm rebuilt every year. with not having reservoirs the oil will take more of a beating. reservoirs add alot to the cost to add them but do extend the life of the oil. if you can afford it i would send the back shock to them and have it upgraded also.

SWIGIN
02-18-2010, 07:37 PM
i would go with these
http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=node/20
i think you are on the right track by not getting used and then reworking them. it almost never works out very good in the end. for the money the Elkas would be better than works. if you ride hard and often then i would have therm rebuilt every year. with not having reservoirs the oil will take more of a beating. reservoirs add alot to the cost to add them but do extend the life of the oil. if you can afford it i would send the back shock to them and have it upgraded also.

reread post #5

He bought some already.

Another great option for bottleless shocks is to simply add a 350x or 250r rear shock bottle to them. This is what PEP did for years and I still do this when need be. I bought 2 blown busted stock R shocks for like $20, so for $20 I had bottles.

SWIGIN
02-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I reread post 5 again too....... you do know you bought long travel shocks right?

Nothing wrong with that just as long as you know.

NOS_350X
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Elka's suck 5 years ago elka's where the shizzle, but not they are worse than Works. Very generic, no change in settings for a 200+lb rider to a 100lb flattrack rider.

I would highly recommned the Fox floats, for the 500-600 range they are really very good.

jensenracing77
02-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Elka's suck 5 years ago elka's where the shizzle, but not they are worse than Works. Very generic, no change in settings for a 200+lb rider to a 100lb flattrack rider.

I would highly recommned the Fox floats, for the 500-600 range they are really very good.

i would agree that Elka's are not even close to what they were. they are more of a mass produced shock now. not much differance than works as far as quality. the only thing that Elka has going for it is the springs. they have a little better quality spring. where can you get Fox Floats for $500? shocks are like a paint job on a car, you get what you pay for.

fox floats are more of a race shock. they are higher maintenance than the others. well all air shocks are higher maintenance, Axis and Fox both.

smokinwrench
02-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Yes I have long travel a arms. I done a bunch more reading today and everyone says good stuff about tcs. 500 was the max I wanted to spend. Even if they aren't perfectly set up for me I can have them set up for me later and this way I have a nicer base model shock to work with then a set of the cheapest works or elka.

smokinwrench
02-18-2010, 11:23 PM
I was planning on going with the stage 1 elkas or stealers works but lots of people suggested I go with anice used higher grade shock. I guess its a catch 22 no matter what direction you go, unless your willing to dump a grand on shocks.

NOS_350X
02-19-2010, 01:27 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fox-Float-Airshox-Front-Shocks-Honda-TRX-400EX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c532b5a76QQitemZ 190373911158QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessorie s

That guy used to have them listed for $595 I bought several sets for my friends. Several of the oddballs where $500. If you look for the fox shocks that have the same lenght but are built for snomo applications you can usually get them very cheap.

SWIGIN
02-19-2010, 06:09 PM
I was planning on going with the stage 1 elkas or stealers works but lots of people suggested I go with anice used higher grade shock. I guess its a catch 22 no matter what direction you go, unless your willing to dump a grand on shocks.

You just sumed it up perfectly.

Any aftermarket shock you could of bought can be rebuilt to work for you, brand matters not.

I do my own shock rebuilding/tuneing and I love works/PEP style shock and for me there's no better riding shock made......once I set them up for me.

Back when I raced MX 2stroke open A class most guys didnt have aftermarket shocks let alone frames and A arms. But when I stopped you needed all the above or you were hurting.

I guess what im getting at is don't be afraid to open them up and learn how to get them to do what you want them to. Those TCS shocks can be whatever you want them to be.

smokinwrench
02-19-2010, 06:24 PM
I do everything myself I refuse to pay labor when I can do it. Where do you buy your seals and springs?

Thanks
Josh

SWIGIN
02-19-2010, 06:44 PM
from old race conections

but this place might have aftermarket parts www.motoprosuspension.com