PDA

View Full Version : Rm80

TrikeKid
08-20-2003, 02:53 AM
my friend just traded an RT 180 for a 1989 RM80 with a motor suposedly built to 140cc(dont know how they did it) rubber gripper seat cover and some almost new tires. all it needs is is a plug and some suspension revalving because the front is real stiff but the shock is softer than my ttr.

PS what should i pay for a KX 60 just to mess around on. I aint buyin no damn xr50!!!

YTZ250#1
08-20-2003, 11:33 PM
I know were there is a 01 kx65 for $1450 obo.also know of a 99 ktm65
but he wanted $2000 obo.

TrikeKid
08-22-2003, 01:45 AM
i finnaly got a good look at the 80 and what a pos it can be fixed tho the motor is not bored at all the kid was just tryin to be cool (previos (sp?)owner also my friend thinks he knows more than he does) very few pieces that arent broken and i has a white fender the frame needs paint and the motor needs a new piston and sleeve i can turn the motor with my fingers from on the bike its so worn out it started briefly by rolling down a paved hill but with the gas on more fuel is on the ground than in the motor. The new owners dad says he'll put no more than a grand in it tho its decent considering it was free.

Clioboy1200
10-09-2003, 08:20 AM
Don't like to put a downer on your bike at all, but be carefull with that RM80. The RM range seem to be darn sturdy bikes, but a mate of mine had an 80 that he recieved in the same condition as yours by the sounds of things. The bike came to him siezed, so he got it bored and put an appropriate piston and rings into it (replacing seals and gaskets). The bike started well, and ran like a dream, it was a flyer though it had to be run in for a while. About a month later the same problem, no compression, though I recall this time it had went with a bang and mangled the big end bearing so the crank had to be split to replace it, along with pistons, rings gaskets, seals (again) and bored one size up again. It started again, then a month later.......... well you know by now. Point is, it was a seal the whole time that was causing the problem, mixing the water and the oil. I ain't sure which seal it was cos I never seen the engine apart, but when you get yours sorted, keep an eye on the oil composition. I hope you don't encounter the same problem! Best of luck!

TrikeKid
10-09-2003, 03:54 PM
read closer My freind traded an rt 180 for an the rm. Its not my bike i had no part in the trade. besides i dont like ring dings(two strokes). oh and just an update now its seized from being out in the rain.