PDA

View Full Version : 2002 yamaha raptor, starting problems?

hotroddal
02-18-2010, 04:49 PM
i recently aquired a 2002 yamaha raptor 660r, these things got a one way clutch that contrls the starting of the engine, on my machine the one way way clutch is shot, it free spins in both directions, thus providing no starting of the engine, to buy the replacement piece its 280$. now my question is this- is there any other four wheeler that utilizing the same starting one way clutch, the reason i'm asking is no body in my area has raptor parts, but i can get worrior parts and everything else, so again my question is will another four wheeler ctarting one way clutch work, and if so what four wheeler uses the same piece?
thanks alot. much appreciated. Dallas

rdlsz24
02-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Looking at the part number (5LP-15590-00-00), it only matches to 2001-2003 Raptor. Other parts may fit, but I'm not sure. You may be better off asking on raptorforum.com

Rob

hotroddal
02-18-2010, 05:01 PM
hey man thanks alot, i'll take your word for it, but i'll go check out that other web site, oh by the way thanks again for the quick response. dallas

Nick_R_23
02-19-2010, 12:01 AM
DONT BUY AN OEM ONE!!!! It will just go out again! The stock one way clutches are known for failure due to a poor spring design. Look up an L&A One Way Bearing, it is a much better design, lifetime warranty, and only 140$! They have 01-03 and 04-05 versions also.

Edit: Here is the one you need for a 2002: http://www.raptoroneway.com/one-way-starter-clutch-.html

-Nick

hotroddal
02-20-2010, 06:34 PM
hey nick, thanks for the reply, are you sure i should go with that one. that would save me so much money, have you used this one before?! ha ha thanks again Dallas.

Nick_R_23
02-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Yes, I have run them on all my Raptors and Im ordering one soon here for my new one, I would tell anybody who has a Raptor to get one. If you look around on sites like Raptorforum you will find that nearly everyone is running one from L&A. Excellent product and very well worth the money.

Something you will also want to check is the flywheel that goes into the bearing, particularly the surface the bearing rides on. If that becomes worn at all, you will want to replace the gear. L&A also sells the gear and bearing as a kit in case you need it.

-Nick

deathman53
02-20-2010, 09:33 PM
another thing to help reduce the problem is always start in neutral, I knew a guy who went through them every 6-8 months, he got a L&A, problem mostly solved, he still went through one.

hotroddal
02-21-2010, 01:22 PM
ok that 52 tooth gear on mine, the one your talking about. the surface where the one way rides on has a very slight bump to it in one spot, but for the most part it's as smooth as baby's bottom, do ya think its worth it to put a new one on? all i want to do with this is quad is fix it and re sell it, as i'm hurting for money right now?

Nick_R_23
02-21-2010, 06:05 PM
If you are just gonna sell it, Id just lightly try sanding the bump out.

And @deathman53, the guy who had to replace his probably had a 1st design one. They had a few that had problems, but they went through a redesign and I havent heard of anyone that had a problem with them since.

-Nick