PDA

View Full Version : Got the dreaded news today - Need advice

Macs
02-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Well, i knew it was coming but my job gave me my 2 week notice today. this is the first time in my life that i have been laid off. Kinda sucks but they did give me a few options.

Furlo - I could continue recieveing my benefits for up to 2 months. No pay and i cannot collect unemployment. first on the list to get called back.

Contractor - Move my status to a contractor. loose all of my benefits but my pay stays the same. I have to hustle my own work and only get paid for what i work. Not sure if i can collect unemployment on this or not. since i will only be working about 20 hours a week.

A ROF - Just sit home and collect unemployment.

What sucks is Texas only pays $416 a week for unemployment. I wander if it is possible to collect unemployment in a diffrent state if i use another address??? Anyway, my boss said that he feels March will be really bad and then in April he looks for things to pick up. This is a great company, with great pay and i really like it hear. But i am not sure what i am going to do.

I would like to here everyones opinions on my options.

hancadam
02-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Me personally would take the Furlo if you can afford it.

If not, I would take the unemployment and kick back. Wait until you get called back and look in the meantime for other jobs. There's not many jobs right now, so you probably won't make much more than unemployment. Companies are getting by with less and demanding more from who they have.

The main thing is to stay positive and don't get depressed. If you have a family find ways to have fun with them on the cheap. We did a lot of camping when I was out of work at one time. Fortunately we already had all the supplies, including food. So that's easy for me to say.

The Goat
02-18-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm hanging out myself right now too bud. sucks.

I'd say take the furlo and pick up a part time job as well.

Thorpe
02-18-2010, 10:37 PM
I am unemployed currently, and am collecting the unemployment, and going back to school... Its kinda like getting paid to be a student again... Broke as a joke!

tulsamike3434
02-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I got laid off 2 months ago and I have put in at lease 150 apps and nothing. most of the jobs i applied for there was over 200 other people applied also. It seems hopeless! i am a certified welder an I cant find s.h.i.t

Blakes
02-18-2010, 10:55 PM
What sucks is Texas only pays $416 a week for unemployment.

$416 a week if you're unemployed? Seriously? $416 a week????

Move over here to England mate, we get about £60 ($92) a week for being umemployed.

$416 = £269, I used to work as a builders labourer and was paid £230 a week. I know people who'd quit their job for £269 a week unemployment money!

$416 a week for being unemployed.........I can't believe that! Serious.

smokinwrench
02-19-2010, 12:05 AM
That is a very tuff decision.

I feel very lucky to live where I live right now, I know of very few layoffs and those are a product of bad management. I have heard of a few companies raising insurence premiums, lowering 401k contributions.

bittner5454
02-19-2010, 01:00 AM
take the unemployment and try side jobs?

NINJA
02-19-2010, 03:52 AM
Best bet IMO is also to take the unemployment and take side jobs. Some money is better than no money.

petesatc
02-19-2010, 04:01 AM

Move over here to England mate, we get about £60 ($92) a week for being umemployed.

$416 = £269, I used to work as a builders labourer and was paid £230 a week. I know people who'd quit their job for £269 a week unemployment money!

i'm with blakes...... $416 unemployment??????....wow everyone in the UK would be give up there jobs!!!!!!

ATCeeya
02-19-2010, 07:05 AM
our max unemployment is now $430.

I work seasonal so i get laid off every year for 5 - 6 months. unenployment is not a bad thing. Id stick to that so you can get a weekly paycheck. Seems like the least stressful of choices you have.

hinddee29
02-19-2010, 08:19 AM
I'd call up your unemplyment office and get as much info as you can. Here is Ohio the pay depends on how many weeks you have worked. You need 20 good full time and part time weeks to qualify for 26 weeks (6months) of unemployment. So this being your first time I would say you have the maxed weeks in. but here also depend on depents as well. I have never gotten the max unemployment. Also here in Ohio if your going to school part time you don't have to look for work as long as your doing well in school. If your employer laid you of due to lack of work they have to give it to you. You and your empolyer pay into it. It is insurance in case you are out of work.
I would also contact your insurance company and talk with them. I was in construction and every month of paying for it, so much went into a bank account and would build up in case we where off work. That way you could continue to have insurance for a few months after words and hopefully be back to work before it ran out. I had built up the max. After I got laid off I had 6 months of health insurance. Same insurance as when I was working. You say this is a good company, from what you have stated it sounds like they are trying to screw you.
Texas may be very different from here, I dont know. Far as trying to collect from another state, you have to had work in that state as well and had taxes taken out.

racer....X
02-20-2010, 12:01 AM
I also get laid off every winter.I have alot of things to tinker with in the garage so I kinda like it.Kindof like getting a long vacation every year!

ditchmud
02-20-2010, 04:29 PM

I would venture to say that the cost of living is lower where you are???

hotroddal
02-20-2010, 07:04 PM
tulsa mike, i'm also a certified welder, i too recently got laid off, i worked for this company for two years as a fabricator., and this is the first lay off this company has ever had. anyway's to answer the question just take the unemployement money,theres nothing wrong with being unemployed, just think of it as your well deserved payed vacation, at least thats what i think of it as. find stuff to do keep busy stay positive and don't think too hard. you'll be back to work before you know it. good luck. thanks Dallas