PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a Carburetor Hard or not Hard

mkramm
08-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Well, the guy I bought my warrior from was just a dolt! He disassembled stuff & then didnt put back all the fasteners when he was done. I closely examined my carb last night & it only had 1 screw holding the bowl on! So now I am very afraid I will remove the carb & find no guts inside. Upon the off-hand chance that he wasnt a complete retard & actually did put back, or not remove the guts, what do you guys think I should replace in the carb? Obiviously I should replace all that is missing, but beyond that? How hard is it to rejet a carb & how do I know what size jets to use? Any help would be apprieciated since I dont know much about carbs...or anything for that matter :(

smokinwrench
08-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Here is a link you might want for when you tear it apart.
http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic.asp?dept_id=201573

There are 2 pages involved with that schematic.

It is hard to guess jet sizes I would leave it all the same, make sure it has everypart where it should be. Then just clean everything up very good, there are tons of tiny holes and orfices in a carb. Hopefully it will start when your done then you can start adjusting the carb.

Josh

Howdy
08-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Well, the guy I bought my warrior from was just a dolt! He disassembled stuff & then didnt put back all the fasteners when he was done. I closely examined my carb last night & it only had 1 screw holding the bowl on! So now I am very afraid I will remove the carb & find no guts inside. Upon the off-hand chance that he wasnt a complete retard & actually did put back, or not remove the guts, what do you guys think I should replace in the carb? Obiviously I should replace all that is missing, but beyond that? How hard is it to rejet a carb & how do I know what size jets to use? Any help would be apprieciated since I dont know much about carbs...or anything for that matter :(

I may have a carb for you. I will have to get pictures of it. I will also see if it's all together and complete. ;)

Howdy

yater
08-21-2003, 02:57 PM
There's really not much to a carb. Look at that schematic on bikebandit so you know where things go and pull it apart. Also, the term "rebuild" really scares some people but rebuilding a carb can be done in a matter of minutes. When you put it back together, take'er for a test spin and go from there.

mkramm
08-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Well what is meant by "rebuild"?

Do you gut it and buy new internals? Or do you just crack it open & clean it up & replace whats broken? I hear floats go bad, but other than that I dont know. And I cant find a "rebuild" kit for the 87 warrior carb

mkramm
08-21-2003, 03:45 PM
:D :D :D :D :D Im so so excited, I found a CDI :D :D :D :D

Anyway, another question: How do you tell what the jet size you already have is? The stocks say they are 145, is it on them somewhere? What if the floats are cracked or leaking, do they have to be replaced or can they be repaired?

yater
08-21-2003, 03:59 PM
The main jet will have the number on it (very small--you may need a magnifying glass) -- rebuild just means replace what's needed but might as well do it all while you have it apart. Check your float for cracks and your needle seat for a "wear ring" where it contacts(up in there)-- RIDE the thing to see what it needs. If it runs great, don't fix it!

mkramm
08-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Well I have to take the carb off right now cause the dum arse who had it looks like he took the bowl off, & didnt replace any of the freaking screws except one. Now needless to say it leaks quite a bit.

mkramm
08-21-2003, 11:48 PM
Good news...

I took off the carb, someday someone explain how you get the throttle cable loose from the carb okay? Anyway, got the carb off took the bowl off & to my surprise it looked like it was all there, the floats looked good and moved freely, didnt see any slop at all anywhere, so I went to the local real hardware store (sorry home depot, your screw & etc suck) and found the bolts I needed. By the way, the mikuni carb on a warrior takes M4x12 fine thread bolts. All the gaskets looked good too. Well hopefully my other bolts & cdi will be here tommorow and I can assemble it this weekend and fire it up :)