PDA

View Full Version : question

factoryX
02-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't care what your view of me is, but why do people get so butt hurt when someone rips on 4 stroke technology?

I am not a follower of the all godly big 4 bike companies and they are the only ones that have bailed them selves of 2 strokes. Ktm, maico, tm. and etc still have a giant 2 stroke line with maico and ktm having the biggest. I know this topic is very touchy but I think we can simply talk about it rather than turn this into a this vs. this thread.:rolleyes:

Trimotomike
02-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Dosent ATK have some 650 2stroker ? I love 2 strokes , i miss that wondrful smell of benoil that used to fumigate the race track every saturday night . And you simply cant compare the sound of a 250 2 stroke haulin ass to any other sound .

factoryX
02-25-2010, 11:11 PM
well I can't agree more but that is being one sided in saying that the 2 stroke sounds/smells better. My question is how come they are so one sided about something that they freak out if somebody disagrees, its like talking to a liberal.

smokinwrench
02-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I think its because thats what they are producing now days. 4 strokes are the highly advertised item, so everyone wants to own one. Most grew up thinking 2 strokes are part hungry animals that you work on more then you ride. The majority of sport quad riders are probably in the 16-25 year old range, that means the only 2 strokes they really know of are blasters and banshees. I know I would take a yfz or raptor any day over either of those, if that were my only choice.

factoryX
02-25-2010, 11:57 PM
it seems to me people are misled into spending to much and they defend it while they pay for it. Its like the global warming scam all over again.

Dirtcrasher
02-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Who knows, people are hard to read on the internet.

They can also be VERY stubborn about there choices.

I may know allot of stuff, but I learn more from disagreeing,asking questions and READING!!

I love both 2 and 4 strokes and they both have a place in my heart :beer

cox
02-26-2010, 12:32 AM
To me, each has there own application. I like 4 strokes for utility and hauling. But if i wanna go fast and whip around doing donuts with my buddies then its 2 stroke all the way. I dont care if i gotta rebuild my 2 stroker more often, its way cheaper than rebuilding a 4.......

smokinwrench
02-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Also have you ever been to a huge atv riding area? I go to Little Sahara a few times per year, I always notice what people drive and ride. I have always had a good job, but I don't have half of what most of the people there have. I say most can't afford to pay cash for a $2,500 full aftermarket 250R, but they can afford a $79 payment every month. That is what sales new machines is the payment plan and why 2 year old machines are worth $3,000-3,500.

For that reason alone 4 strokes rule right now.

factoryX
02-26-2010, 02:11 AM
ahh true, so most people who own these bikes, don't truly own these bikes yet.

smokinwrench
02-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Look on craigslist, you can tell which people are in trouble. People saying must sale now and want $6,300 for a 07 raptor are in deep crap and have only made the minimum payment.

atctim
02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I personally like the 4 stroke over the 2 stroke on the track for one main reason - Power Delivery. Now I know you can go and say - "you can weight the fly wheel, you can do this, you can do that" but all of that costs money. I realize just how much fun the "light-switch" power of a 2-stroke is and I love that feeling as much as the next guy, but on a track - I want my power to come in predictably and smooth - not all at once. I guess it makes you a lazy rider as it is just so much easier to ride. That is why I like the new generation of 4 strokes.

On a side note - my 450 trike is slightly moded with a Cam and pipe and no air box lid - but it is really no faster than a slightly moded 250R. I drag race "Casper" with my 450 pretty regularly - in a straight line not much difference.

What angers me is people saying how unreliable the new 4 strokes are and how they always blow up - so much of that depends on maintenance and how the machine is cared for. No one ever tells the "whole story" so to speak.

muddog
02-26-2010, 05:42 PM
2 and 4 stroke both have their place

NINJA
02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
4-strokes are what's hot right now. That doesn't mean they're better than 2-strokes, it doesn't mean they're worse. It means, that's what's being pushed by the big 4. It's true, they cost more to fix, it makes the manufacturer more money, and they are easier for the average person to ride and be fast on. Why wouldn't you be pushing that product if you were in it to make money? It makes sense as far as dollars and cents go. The problem is that the average person only takes average care of their above average performance machine. I rebuild top ends on a daily basis for the modern 4-strokes, I love them! But, I also have plenty of customers that bring in their machines for maintenance on a regular basis, once again, I love 4 strokes! I see plenty of the old YZ400F and 426 bikes that run like a champ because they come in regularly for maintenance. But believe me, there are still the diehard 2-stroke guys. Most of the 2-strokes that I see these days are KTMs, simply because they are the dominant 2-stroke manufacturer these days. I love 2 strokes too! Definitely more exhilarating to ride, easier to work on, and cheaper to rebuild. I only own 2-strokes these days.
As far as reliability goes though, if you factor in all the different variables, the modern high performance 4-strokes are about equal with the modern 2-strokes. It really boils down to power delivery preferance for the serious riders.

cattle-dog
02-26-2010, 11:38 PM
i have the baja 650 dsx and let me tell you it is one of the top fastest quads ever built but it is also a tank if they would have lightened it up a little it would have been out of control. i like eather 2 or 4 stroke just dont under estimate the power of a newer 4 stroke you maybe eating sand.

factoryX
02-26-2010, 11:54 PM
imo, no it isn't...