PDA

View Full Version : Electric Starter wont work

mkramm
08-21-2003, 11:51 PM
Well thats what the kid I bought it from says anyway. But I hooked the starter to my battery charger, and away she went. I put it back on the bike, without a cdi mind you, and nothing. Now does the bike have to have the cdi unit to turn the starter over? If not then I have another problem I dont know about yet. Any insight & experience is welcome as always.
:D

smokinwrench
08-22-2003, 01:41 AM
I'm not sure if the cdi has anything to do with the starter( I don't think it does). I have bought a few old bikes and the first thing I would do is tear apart the start switch and make sure the contacts are clean. I have fixed a couple electric starters by doing this.

Josh

Howdy
08-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Well thats what the kid I bought it from says anyway. But I hooked the starter to my battery charger, and away she went. I put it back on the bike, without a cdi mind you, and nothing. Now does the bike have to have the cdi unit to turn the starter over? If not then I have another problem I dont know about yet. Any insight & experience is welcome as always.
:D

I think your putting the cart before the horse. I say this because it's easier to help figure out what the problem could be when we know what type of machine ( make / model ) your working on. Each company wires things differently. I am sure we can help once we know what machine we are helping with. ;)
Howdy

mkramm
08-22-2003, 09:07 AM
ah, sorry, its the one in the picture :-P

87 Warrior.

I am not sure if the CDI is required either, but I figured that I would at least wait to get the CDI box before I go tearing things apart. The solenoid looks to be brand new, does anyone happen to have a scan of the wiring diagram for an 87 warrior?

mkramm
08-22-2003, 11:11 PM
all fixed :)

It was a bad ground for the coil on the relay that fires the solenoid

Howdy
08-22-2003, 11:20 PM
all fixed :)

It was a bad ground for the coil on the relay that fires the solenoid

Cool, glad to hear it's fixed. Did the file work out for you? I hope so.
Howdy

mkramm
08-23-2003, 12:33 AM
I got it & all, thanks by the way, only one problem is that I think its for a big bear. I have the YFM350XT not the ERT (big bear?).