PDA

View Full Version : Sandblaster Questions???

atcmatt
08-22-2003, 05:46 AM
Hi i just wnet out and bought a sandblaster! I did not buy any sand, so i went down to the park and got soem out of the sandpit!
It had a few leaves rocks etc in it and it was a bit damp!
It was sort of getting clogged up in the blaster gun and would nto work properly, but it would occasionally have a long run where it worked fine!

My question is do you think this was because it was damp or the leaves, or both?????
Also what is the best matter to use for higly rusted parts??????

Thanks in Advance

jeswinehart
08-22-2003, 06:50 AM
we have a decent size one at work i use for trike parts alot and would hafta say the sand should be as dry as possible. and if you could sift any pebbles + leaves and such out of it, you would be much better off.
along with the sand, we add this bead stuff to our sand. it sure helps knocking off the heavy crud.

john

atcmatt
08-22-2003, 07:18 AM
Thanks John, straight forward answers like that go far with me :-D

Later

Howdy
08-22-2003, 07:55 AM
I use the proper sand for mine. If your trying to use regular sand you could try and sift the sand using some fly screen or such ( after you have it real dry ).
The sand I use goes right through the screen. But big chunks of sand, stones, bigger rust particles and such don't. I have found the sand works better the 2nd time around ( if it has been sifted ). The last time I bought sand it only cost around $3.59 for 50 lbs and it lasted me 1-2 years.
Howdy

TimSr
08-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Crap in the sand will kill a sandbalster, and is hard to clean out and unclog. Here in the states you can buy an 80 lb bag of childrens "play sand" for childrens sandboxes for about $5, available at any home building supply store.

KASEY
08-22-2003, 10:16 AM
i use 70 grit silica sand,,, its not a natural sand ,, it is crusher to make it,, it has real sharp edges and works awesome on every type of crap. play sand is natural sand and has rean rounded edges which doesn't work as well,,, if you are reusing sand make sure that you use a respirator,, because now you are blasting with a persentage of old paint and rust too,,, twice as much to breath,,,,,,