PDA

View Full Version : To slime or not to slime

mkramm
08-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Does that tire slime stuff actually work? I hear its a bear to clean off when you change the tire though?

bigred110
08-23-2003, 12:51 AM
I used it on the front tire of my 79 110. The person who had it before installed a round type tire patch. It didn't really work to good after a week, and the hole was a good size. I left the tire patch in it. The tire is old and is like a 25 inch tire now instead of a 22.

Lots_Of_Nothing
08-23-2003, 12:54 AM
this stuff kicks a@@ i have used it tons of times, and it works every times, its not hard to clean off, just hose it off, and it comes right off

NOS_350X
08-23-2003, 03:43 AM
the fix-a-flat is good if you need a quick temp fix for a weekend or so. ive never used slime tho

skippy
08-23-2003, 11:00 PM
but at high speeds it causes wheel wobble.. i have used it a few times, and it has sealed leaks.. but running 60-70 mph.. it sux!!

Howdy
08-24-2003, 12:51 AM
I cast the only "No" vote. I hate slime with a passion. I have changed a lot of tires with it in and it is messy. While it might get you a quick fix to get by, it makes the person having to change or repair the tire job more work.
I have gotten a few tires in that has had slime in them. Some of these tires had 1/2 tread or so. Instead of removing the tire I burned them ( if they were on Steel rims ).
Howdy

FullBore
08-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Pyro Howdy!
I have use slime once in my pedel cycle, it didn't work, the tyre went down, brand new tube that came with slime already in it got a thorn in the tyre and it went down :?:
I now use OKO Linseal, its made here in the UK, I don't think you can get it over in the US, but it is excellent, expensive but worth it, I have it in all the tyres on the 110, pedel cycle and my riding mower and the 70 has it in, the tyres never go down, it is based on linseed oil and it gree with little bits of black rubber particles in it, these bung up the hole, the last time my pedel cycle tyre went down is because the tyre and tube split on a peice of broken glass, when I examined the tyre and tube there was over 20 thorns in the tyre puncturung the tube, I can't say it doesn't work.
It is a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to clean up with paper if you spill it but will hose away ok if outside.

Nat

ATC crazy
08-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Slime is like Duck Tape....you can't live without it. ;)

The key to slime is that right after you fill the tire up...you have to drive around a while so the slime can be dispersed equally around the tire so there is no wobble (there will be some...but not nearly as much as if you let it all settle to where the hole is) Yes slime is messy...but you wont care when you are 10+ miles away from the nearest place to air-up or fix it.

Yamaha_Rules69
08-26-2003, 11:17 PM
It works pretty good if the hole in the tire is rather small. I have used it a few times. I dont think its too big of a mess. I just wipe it out with a rag. Its a lot cheaper to buy a bottle of slime, than to take it into a tire shop to have it patched. One thing I like about slime is that if you run over a nail or something and get another puncture, the slime will still seal it up. In the long run, slime is a good thing to use.

350Xccelerator
08-26-2003, 11:59 PM
Yeah ATC crazy is right, you have to ride it for about two miles so the slime can spread around on the inside. I have a question can you put slime in a tubeless tire?

bigred110
08-27-2003, 01:25 AM
I have a question can you put slime in a tubeless tire?

Yes, just make that slime your buying is ment for a tubeless tire. They make 2, for tube tires and tubeless tires.

krizo88
08-27-2003, 10:31 AM
I tried that slime in my 85 R and I will never use it again. It feels like i have a 5 pound weight sitting in the bottom of my tire. I used it to seal some leaks after I removed studs from my front tire. I used as much as recomended and rode for around 2 hours, it seemed to work ok untill the next day I took it out for a ride and the front end vibrates all over the place. Now I have to buy a new tire. So I would rather walk my happy arse home than go through this again.