PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Video surveillance on there property?

trikes4life
03-07-2010, 07:46 PM
background info, my house has been robbed once and got the items back. but last fall i started noticeing stuff missing out of my garage, i didn't think much of it. just thought someone moved it. i tallied stuff up im missing one Mossberg shot gun, two snap on socket sets, two carhartt's (one with tags still on it 4xL), brand new fishing pole never used, and a battery charger. Just wondering if any has ever set up a video surveillance up and if its hard to do. thanks

muddog
03-07-2010, 08:27 PM
you are supposed to use the shotgun on the robbers not let it get stolen lol:crazy: okay now on a serious note couldn't you just lock the garage door

2Tim215
03-07-2010, 09:01 PM
I have Video surveillance on my property. You can't even pull in the driveway without tripping it. There are way to many types to discuss here so here are a few tips. Hardwire most of your cameras and have at least four. Wireless cameras can be taken out by thieves with strong transmitters. Get a system where you can monitor your cameras from any internet connection. Then even when your not at home you can keep an eye on things! BJ's Wholesale has a few good systems. They aren't to hard to install. Its not an area where you should skimp price wise as it could cost you big in the end. Hope this helps!

MonroeMike
03-07-2010, 09:15 PM
My cousin has a setup like that, it even talks through the TV ie: "someone is in the backyard".

My security isn't as fancy.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72263&d=1231095596

Howdy
03-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I have a fair system myself. They aren't too hard to set up if you have the proper system.

cattle-dog
03-07-2010, 09:38 PM
at our shop is brutus if you are with us he is a lap dog enter our shop alone he will be lapping up your blood. for me a thief has no rights get past my dogs and meet a double barrel of rock salt you may get away but i will meet you at the emergency room for another round. i am as red neck as it gets and will give the shirt off my back but steal from me and your done.

trikes4life
03-07-2010, 09:42 PM
you are supposed to use the shotgun on the robbers not let it get stolen lol:crazy: okay now on a serious note couldn't you just lock the garage door

Yeah i know, theres 7 people living at my house and people in and out fifty times a day. I lock it constantly but no one really cares. yeah and my dog is 14 years old, blind, has cancer and has a problem even getting up. lol

Billy Golightly
03-07-2010, 10:02 PM
I like to use game cameras. A little less high tech, but works nonetheless.

cattle-dog
03-07-2010, 10:20 PM
a cheap alternative is game cameras they will take a picture of the thief even in the dark and they wont know it then when they come over again it seems you may know them,confront them with the pictures!!!!!

jensenracing77
03-07-2010, 11:18 PM
security cameras direct
www.scdlink.com

trikes4life
03-08-2010, 03:00 PM
cool thanks guys. Taxes are comeing back and im getting one.

RacerRichie
03-08-2010, 05:01 PM
I do have a simple system on my property with a PC interface hard wired. I have also helped with other systems for clients. Outside. I like to use a mix of IR cameras with different focal lenses. Not all cameras are the same and views will vary dramatically. Dont set something up and find out that the image is not good enough to use in court or get a plate number.... 'DICO' software is free on the internet and is capable up to four cameras. Get an old PC, 4 cameras, a PCI camera interface card and some cable and you are on your way. Good luck

Dirtcrasher
03-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Well, I hate to think I have thieves around that are THAT determined..........

The "X10" stuff does the job. You can have it record on a VCR or your PC. Even a blurry image shows the thieves. Honestly, I hate to say it, but it's normally people you know or there buds that try to rip you off......

I won't go into details, but you don't have long before "someone" is notified by a dialer and at least they'll check it out.... Which I welcome!!

It's not hard to have an inexpensive system that does the job. THAT with an alarm either right on site or dialed to the police station........

Keep all the alarms/buzzers hidden in vented overhangs etc so they can't be disabled.

Unless your dealing with a genius diamond thief, it's not hard to keep stuff safe or give them very little time to grab it and load it. Underground hidden wires are your best bet, anything above ground can be cut or bypassed....

Even if your doors are alarmed, lock the machine too! You have to slow the thieves down, that what works...

Don't "advertise" your stuff. Although it may be cool to put it on your lawn after you wash it, some of us love it yet others want to steal it.

Craigslist is great for letting thieves know where you live and what you have for security.

Depends on what you have too; A nice 350X might be less desirable than a TIGER and a 250R... To some people trikes are junk, they'd rather steal an 08 450 quad or something..........

Rawlins350x
03-09-2010, 07:16 AM
I install all kinds of systems at work (security, fire, cameras, door access, PLC systems, and do residential/commercial electrical work.) You can do all kinds of sweet things with the proper setup. For instance watch your dvr on your iphone, interlink it into a security system to trip a zone(which with a relay module can turn lights on and other devices) dialing either a monitoring services or voice dialing you personal phone.

DVR's can also be networked so you can view from anywhere.

When I do side jobs I usually get my stuff from this site or ebay http://www.homesecuritystore.com/

It can get costly, but most insurance companies will offer you rate discounts if you have them.

portland250r
03-17-2010, 05:14 PM
if i can ever afford it ill just buy a tiger and let it patrol my property.

it would be really hard to get in for the fence i would need and if someone did get in they would not make it out.

Northman
03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I have a game camera covered in camo its great video and stills and I use a large 8mb card in it as well

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/catalog.aspx?catid=gamecamera