PDA

View Full Version : My first Quad!! & She's a Beauty!!

aldochina
03-13-2010, 02:52 AM
picked this up a week or so ago!! Its been so crappy, and i been so busy i havnt been able to take any pics. Wanted to take them outside during the day, but rain all weekend, and i couldnt hold out any longer, so heres a few. I was not really looking for one, but i just couldnt pass!! :crazy: Cost me alot more than any 3-wheeler iv'e ever bought, but i still think it was a fair deal!! especially if you see what nice 86 atc250r's are going for lately!! ( which I still want) :lol: my first 2-stroke, other than my non-running tecate project, and the zinger i picked up recently. It should be fun learning about them!!

The quad is from california, guy i bought it from had it shipped here(NY) in 08. He is big into drag racing, and wanted something to cruise the pits on:wonderingrealized it wasnt very good for that and sold it to me:naughty:It is supposedly on the original piston, and is pretty much all original aside from a paul turner race pipe with fmf silencer, vforce reed, handle bars, and twisty. I am looking to put it back to original, so i need a few parts. I will not be racing it i dont think, I just love the nastalgia of it, and always wanted one!! Plus I think it would be better suited for woods and trail in stock form, no?
I only took it out for aout 10 mins, and it screams!! Not what im used to:lol: serious mid punch!!
enough blabbin here you go!
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/aldochina/102_2848.jpg
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/aldochina/102_2847.jpg
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/aldochina/102_2850.jpg
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/aldochina/102_2851.jpg
This obviously dosnt appear right, just noticed it earlier!
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/aldochina/102_2852.jpg

aldochina
03-13-2010, 02:54 AM
some extras: whole crap load of new bolts and brackets ect. not sure what half of its for, but i 'll figure it out!! also gave me one of those nice blue race gas cans full, and a new pint of Maxima Formula K2, he said he mixes the pint with 4 gallons, does this sound correct??
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/aldochina/102_2845.jpg
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/aldochina/102_2846.jpg
let me know what ya think guys!! I am all syked about this thing, as much as a new trike:lol:
No more toys for me :twisted::twisted::twisted: i got way too much on my plate now!! i'm done with craigs list, i need my wife to put a parental block on there, ebay too:lol: I gave 2500.00 for it and 4 hr round trip!! thanks for looking. I will post up some much better pics when the weather breaks!! I wanna pull all the plastic and such off and check the frame over real good. I havnt seen any cracks yet!

aldochina
03-13-2010, 03:00 AM
also got the california title, and a california green sticker good till june.lol

Side Wayz
03-13-2010, 04:02 AM
nice quad gratz.Have fun

MonroeMike
03-13-2010, 07:43 AM
That's a nice looking machine you picked up.

Mosh
03-13-2010, 10:01 AM
NICE FIND!

It looks like you have the PT "Race Pipe" But I cant see it. That pipe is all mid and top end,and not real suited for trails. It isnt bad, but there are better Low end mid range pipes for the TRX.

The PT TRX 6 pipe is a very low midrange pipe that works great for trails. They choke off the top end,but not too bad.
My R is almost Identical to yours right down to the V force 2 cage.
Unfortunately, mine isnt as nice as yours.
I love my R...I only wished it had a little more sack. Eventually I want to go with a ported 265 set-up.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/TRX%20250R/MyTRX002.jpg
A pic of that type 6 pipe for you.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/TRX%20250R/MyTRX005.jpg

A lil advice... If you are going to ride that alot, I would invest in some aftermarket fenders. Those OEM ones are discontinued, and the last body kit I saw that nice, brought over 1000 bucks for on Ebay.I really dont ride mine alot at all, so I just keep the OEM fenders on it.
Sweet score for sure...You are gonna love it.

oldskool83
03-13-2010, 10:10 AM
if them fenders are in nice shape i'd throw some maiers on them, oem ones go for big bucks like the atc250rs do

smokinwrench
03-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Looks good, if your gonna ride it a bunch a set of nice used aftermarket shocks on the front will be money well spent.

aldochina
03-13-2010, 11:20 AM
thanks for the reply's guys, and the advice!! I cant wait to get to know this thing. Nice trx mosh, does look very similar to mine. I think your pt pipe has more of an upsweep. I think on the badge it says "Paul Turner 89trx race pipe". ANY of you guys use that maxima K2 oil? Does the ratio sound right? Ya, i would like to fing a cheap set of plastics to run, and some rear wheels.

Mosh
03-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I have been running Maxima 927 for almost 10 years. I have never had a top end go down, or a engine blow on it.Actually, My wifes Banshee has about 7 years on her engine without a rebuild and still runs strong. Some guys dont like the 927, because it is tacky, and tends to cling to stuff. I have never run the K-2.
But yeah that ratio would be ok. That puts you at 32-1.. 16 0z, to 4 gallons.
I actually run 16 oz to 4.5 gallons. That is about 40-1, which Maxima recomends on 250 2 strokes.

Those PT type 6 pipes pop up on Ebay pretty cheap from time to time. I also heard that ESR makes good low mid range pipe, but I have never run one.
I have the 89 TRX race pipe on my other TRX, and honestly it does good, but for tight trails it isnt the best pipe.

aldochina
03-13-2010, 12:51 PM
thanks mosh. Its funny you say you wish it had more sack, and i was like woa!! guess its like anything, when you get used to it you always want more. 7 yrs without a rebuild, thats impressive. I want to put it back to stock just so i can know how it ran originally. Then if i want i can start from there on my own.

jason85atc250r
03-13-2010, 01:04 PM
aldochina nive trx you got there. That pipe is a midrange model you have there. It works great on e MX track. That rear shock needs some help i would not ride it nuch till you get it fixed or replaced. Get a set of takeoff trx450r shocks on ebay for the front they work great for trail riding the factory ones suck.

Here is the best pic (still kindof sucks) of my 86trx250r with all the after market goodies even frame.

jason85atc250r
03-13-2010, 01:09 PM
thanks mosh. Its funny you say you wish it had more sack, and i was like woa!! guess its like anything, when you get used to it you always want more. 7 yrs without a rebuild, thats impressive. I want to put it back to stock just so i can know how it ran originally. Then if i want i can start from there on my own.

They are really slow with the stock pipe that pipe on yours makes a huge difference.

aldochina
03-13-2010, 02:53 PM
nice trx, Jason. that thing is sweet. I was kinda torn, cause you can find em all hooked up for not much more than what i paid, and i know that stuff costs dough!! But theres something appealing about low hr original machines to me. I read that they toned down the motor for the added weight of the trx, cause they were concerned about reliability issues? I have never ridden a atc250r, so this feels extremely fast to me. I have rode a lt250r, and a banshee, but that was 18 yrs ago or so. since then its been 4-stroke bikes and trikes. The suspension feels plush, not sure how that seating plate got dislodged, but i will adress it. Off to the ST. Patty's Day Parade!! later

whyzee
03-13-2010, 03:01 PM
i'm pretty sure that trx was close to my house. If i had a little more room to ride and some extra bike coin, i would have bought her. Nice Quad and way to stay with Honda for your first Quad. Ton's of parts for that available still.
nice ride!

black02ktm
03-13-2010, 03:34 PM
THAT QUAD MAKES MY MOUTH WATER, I WILL own an R in my lifetime!!! Can I ask what you gave for it, just to get an idea?

SWIGIN
03-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Real nice R you have there!

oldtime3wheeler
03-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Thats a sweet looking quad you have there.

JohnR.
03-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Very nice quad. I would leave the exhaust on it. The stock one is terrible and will probably give you no more low end than the PT one you have now but it will cost you some midrange and top end.

John

aldochina
03-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Every time i look at it i start to drool. I love it. I gave 2500.00 for it, says so somewhere in the thread. I didnt think that was bad at all, depends how you view it i guess. I know it cost the guy a heck of alot more than that to buyit and have it shipped here. he was rather forthcoming about what he had int it. Stock setup was really that bad huh? To bad i didnt get it a few weeks earlier, i coulda took it on the ice. I tried to take it around my trail, and there is still some snow, and plenty of mud, tires just did alot of spinning! I live on a 1/4 mile dirt driveway, so that is fun. 10 min ride, 30 min cleaning.lol the paul turner pipe has no dents, but its plenty rusty looking, if i leave it, i will have to do something about that, i dont like the rusty look!!!

JohnR.
03-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Send the pipe out and get it Jet-Hot coated.

John

RodKnockRacing
03-13-2010, 09:25 PM
that thing is sweet my Pabst Blue Ribbon friend

mopar_man
03-14-2010, 11:47 AM
There was one of those for sale near here for the same price but I don't think it was nearly as nice. Good score.

If you want to spend some time looking up what all your numbered parts are, go here: http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx There's a "Quick Part Look Up" box on the right side. Choose Honda from the drop-down menu, punch in the number in the next box and it'll tell you what you have and what it fits.

aldochina
03-14-2010, 12:02 PM
thanks for that tip mopar man.. You remember the PBR's rod nock huh?lol goodtimes! If i could find someone to coat it for reasonable i will look into that. I have a couple 350x headers i want to do also.

KASEY
03-14-2010, 04:22 PM
VERY NICE 250R! i looked for 3 years for an 89,, i finally had to settle on a 88, i am glad to have a nice trx now , i know exactly how you feel about yours.

aldochina
03-14-2010, 07:57 PM
ya, i hear the 89's are hard to come by. The 88 is what i originally fel in love with as a 12 yr old kid. Love the red plastic, and the simple white graffix. But the 86 just grew on me, and i couldnt pass on it. I think it will look great along side the 86 350!! Got any pics of your 88 on here casey?

KASEY
03-14-2010, 09:43 PM
here is one the day i got it,, i remover the six pack rack, and put different rear tires on it,, thats all,,,,

http://i43.tinypic.com/eulqw5.jpg

aldochina
03-14-2010, 11:58 PM
WOW Casey, thats sweet. Looks to have plenty of mods, but retains that awsome stock look!!

3leggeddog
03-15-2010, 12:52 PM
very nice bike,but, looiks like your spring retainer on the rear shock is goofy.might wanna look into that!

code200k
03-15-2010, 04:03 PM
sweet quad man.that is one of the few honda &quads i would pay good money for.they just look fast sittinng..one day ill have one

inv3ctiv3
03-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Thats awesome, did you find it in Oxnard of Ventura CA? If so I contacted him about buying it a few weeks ago.

aldochina
03-17-2010, 12:20 AM
i bought the quad out of brewster NY. But it was titled from Santee Ca. I just stuck it up on the shelf for now. Be awhile before it deies out around here. I have to get this 250sx back together, and my sons 70. Then i will have some room to breathe in the shed.