PDA

View Full Version : Laptop help please

SWIGIN
03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
I am half cave man when it comes to these things but I need a laptop to speed up the process of tuning my stand alone tranny computer in my stang. Right now I need to pull the passenger seat, unbolt the controller, bring it into the house, hook it up to the house computer, and tune. Then reverse all those things to put it back. PITA!!

My buddy at work has a IBM thinkpad R51 for sale that he upgraded to 2g ram and a 80g hard drive which is more then enough for tuning my tranny. I just got done playing with this laptop online and it is as fast or faster then the house computer. I never really touched a laptop before tonight, is this a decent one?

I'm thinking $50 will buy it but all I know is it has a 15'' screen and those upgrades i mentioned. Seems like a no brainer to me but I don't know a thing about these things.

I guess the question is would you buy it?

cattle-dog
03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
for 50 its a steal

J-roc
03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Yea that's a bargan, I can't even buy an 80gb laptop hardrive for $50 let alone a whole (running) laptop, lol.

krizo88
03-16-2010, 10:31 PM
I would in heart beat. I have 500 into mine and its still probably not as good as that one. I would drop the hammer for 50 smackers

86trizinger
03-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Back in 2005 they went for $1500 or more. They are pretty decent computers especially what you want it for.
I would snatch it up while you can.

jeopardy98
03-17-2010, 12:33 AM
My question would be why the heck is he selling such a great computer for only $50? Is it hot? :)

mopar_man
03-17-2010, 10:08 AM
If you don't want it for $50, I'll take it and pay you to ship it to me. :lol:

SWIGIN
03-17-2010, 07:03 PM
I got it.........for FREE...lol

I've known him since he was born and I know it's not hot. He bought it for $100 back in 2006 off his rich gotta have the nicest newest thing buddy of his. After buying it he did all the upgrades to it and just used it to store I tune songs on. So the other day when I told him I wouldn't mind getting a real cheap laptop for tunning my stang he brought this in and just gave it to me today. He said he never really needed it and he already had 3 other laptops.

The only thing I need to do to this laptop is get a USB to serial port adapter so I can hook it up to my car.

thanks guys.

edit....for the record I'm going to give him cash or a gift card to someplace for the thing but he don't know that.

SWIGIN
03-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Heres a picture of it. Does anyone know what the thing is in the second picture? It is right under the disc drive and the laptop makes a sound when you make it pop out but I have no idea what it is.

http://i41.tinypic.com/21ekbl.jpg

T shaped thing?
http://i43.tinypic.com/692u6s.jpg

night4creeper
03-18-2010, 10:10 PM
it could be a handle to pull the CD drive out. If that is it, it could also have a screw in the bottom to keep the drive secure. Its hard to tell though, the pic is a little fuzzy and I'm not familiar with that particular model.

SWIGIN
03-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I talked to the guy I got it from today and he thought it might be a handle as well. I guess he never knew it was there. I'm the type to push every button just to see what it does....LOL