PDA

View Full Version : Waitering tips...

3WheelHouston
08-25-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm starting my training as a waiter at a rather nice Mexican Restaurant tomorrow. Pappasito's, for those who know. Anyway, I've never done this before, so do's and don'ts would be appreciated. Thanks. And in case you wanna know why I'm posting this on a three wheeler site, it's because my tips will fund my trike.

TimSr
08-25-2003, 10:21 PM
In the case of a Mexican restaurant, absolutely do NOT get between a patron and the bathroom door.

Billy Golightly
08-25-2003, 10:34 PM
LMAO!!!!!!

kimmer250r
08-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Always keep there glasses full! Be polite, make sure there food is to them fast. It sucks waiting 45 mins for a meal. Keeping the drinks full is the big one, I don't know how many times I'm out to eat and hit some hot stuff, go for a drink and guess what....empty! Crap, now you have to sit and wait with a mouth full of burning ass hot food, waiting for your waiter to realize your still alive and get you another drink. I almost always tip a minimum of $5 no matter what the meal costs. If it is a more expensive dinner, then it is always 15-20% of the total bill. Good luck with the job, you can make some really good money at it.

Kook
08-26-2003, 10:04 AM
The one main thing that fries me when I go out to eat is if the waiter "asks" me if I want change. I'll tell you if I don't want change. Bring me the dang change and THEN I'll decide what your tip is. Sorry, bit of a rant there. Also, there is a fine line between polite/friendly and OVERLY friendly. I'm not trying to build a life-long friendship with you in the 45 minutes I'll be there, but make darn sure you're polite to me and I'll be good to you when it comes tip time. Enjoy! Being a waiter can actually be kind of fun it you let it be.

ATC crazy
08-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Yes...everything Kimmer said...and be sure to clean up their empty plates when they are done too (like if they are in the middle of their meal and have a empty plate sitting at the end of the table). Walk by all of your tables every 5 minutes and just look around...if they need something, you will be there to serve them, instead of having them wait 15 minutes for a napkin after they spilled salsa down their shirt ( :D )

honda200
08-27-2003, 11:55 PM
dont spit in there food or drinks

Best advice ever

Curtis

Kilborg
08-29-2003, 11:04 AM
I'm not a waiter, but I work in a flat rate tire shop. I'm sure being a waiter has atleast a few similarities...

Try to atleast go out of your way a little to talk to the people a little bit. A few nice comments can go a long way. If someone has a nice car or something and I'm working on it I will strike up a little chat with them while I get stuff done around the shop. People like being commented on. Just make it known that you are trying to go out of your way to get the stuff done and be nice about it, it goes a long way.

Also...just like doing your job. Look foward to doing it every day, even if it sucks. It gives you something to waste your time on other then partying (Some is good, but you gotta have some limites)which isnt a good thing to be into all the time like I am in jobless mode. You get paid to waste time doing some sort of task..just think of it that way. You could be broke and bored off your ass, or you could get paid to have something to do. One other thing...Work as hard, smart/safe, and fast as you can and try to get along with co workers as best as you can...it makes work alot more enjoyable to have people around you are freinds with, especially when you can try to get something done together so its faster (that probably isnt so much a factor in waitering but it might give you the idea). Im done ranting

jeswinehart
08-29-2003, 12:57 PM
probbly should ask the ladys first when taking orders,,,, and the men folk 2nd.