PDA

View Full Version : Another 1986 NOS ATC350X rear fender on feebay!

honda200x1987
03-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Nice sticker price.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1986-350X-OEM-REAR-FENDER-NEW-HONDA-ATC_W0QQitemZ120544922140QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorc ycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c11098a1c

atc350xer
03-18-2010, 10:04 AM
lmao... $1600 buy it now and no free shipping? I would be scared to have a fender that's worth more than all 3 of my trikes combined.

the great gazoo
03-18-2010, 05:54 PM
1600.00? C'mon man. That's crazy. I was thinking 7-900 clams tops, but I suppose he'll get close to what he wants, someone's restoring an X out there that has that kinda money to spend............

honda200x1987
03-18-2010, 08:42 PM
It is amazing that these ATC fenders go for that kind of money. They really are not worth near that much but people neeed them and will pay. I just hope that someone will come up with the molds and reproduce the exact oem replica fenders for our ATCs someday. I have been told it would not be worth the 30 grand or so to reproduce them but that was from a ebay member, I think to differ. You can't tell me a company could not sell atleast 100 brand new oem 350X fenders to pay for the mold, they are always selling, not to mention the mold would work for the 85 and 86 350x. Don't you guys think if a company would make exact oem replicas from the color down to the embossed warning labels for the 86-87 200X or 250r or 350X etc, would profit from this?

petesatc
03-19-2010, 04:41 AM
It is amazing that these ATC fenders go for that kind of money. They really are not worth near that much but people neeed them and will pay. I just hope that someone will come up with the molds and reproduce the exact oem replica fenders for our ATCs someday. I have been told it would not be worth the 30 grand or so to reproduce them but that was from a ebay member, I think to differ. You can't tell me a company could not sell atleast 100 brand new oem 350X fenders to pay for the mold, they are always selling, not to mention the mold would work for the 85 and 86 350x. Don't you guys think if a company would make exact oem replicas from the color down to the embossed warning labels for the 86-87 200X or 250r or 350X etc, would profit from this?
You got no chance of a aftermarket company making new injection molds (like honda) part of what i do is injection molding i own 10 machines rangeing from 10 tonne (this is a small machine you can make parts upto about hand size ) to a 300 tonne machine which could mold a front fender this machine is pretty big 20'x8'......anyway you say 30G for a mold that would be a small mold maybe front fender size if you get the mold made in China (by far the cheapest way of getting molds made these days) for a rear fender you would be talking at least $120,000 and then you would need at least a 1000 tonne machine to mold it, they work at $80 per hour plus any plastic used to mold it........no one is going to put that kind of cash on the promise of a few sales.....

whyzee
03-19-2010, 05:46 AM
^^ nice to learn a little bit about the injection molding business. I 've often wondered how much $$ it is to begin with

Orangecnty250r
03-19-2010, 08:13 AM
In addition to all of that when something is mass produced nobody is ever in a hurry to purchase because they know they are now available and start whining about the price. Alot of people talk and dont buy. I have seen this time and time again with people who have tried to reproduce things on this site and elsewhere.

petesatc
03-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Also you couldn't make exact copy's either..... honda would lay a egg with IPR's and copyrights etc.....hell they get uptight if i use the honda logo on my site?????

Orangecnty250r
03-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Also you couldn't make exact copy's either..... honda would lay a egg with IPR's and copyrights etc.....hell they get uptight if i use the honda logo on my site?????

Did they contact you

honda200x1987
03-19-2010, 08:06 PM
I guess you are right pete, I am no expert when is comes to injection mold. This is confusing to me though because I have heard it can be done 30,000-40,000, the fenders do not have the HONDA logo so I think they would not throw a stink, they would just have the embossed warning labels look like the originals. Reproduction fenders are made all the time and I do not think Honda cares as long as you do not have their logo. For instance I have had a talk with this eBay member, he has paid a company to mold these ATC70 fenders and told me it can be done . maybe you are right though. Here is the member who had them made ->> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-NEW-atc70-atc-70-fender-set-Plastic-nos-oem_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eabc18f99QQitemZ20 0450084761QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Vealmonkey
03-19-2010, 09:41 PM
honda200x1987, nice statement there. The fenders really aren't worth that much but people need them and they are willing to pay. So then I guess what you should have typed was the fenders aren't worth much to you, but the fenders are worth alot to others. So I guess you aren't setting market prices then are you? I can never understand why people worry about what others are willing to pay? If someone buys these fenders, more power to them. If they don't, then the seller has the choice of either keeping the fenders or lowering the price to see if someone is still willing to pay. It seems pretty simple to me. I much prefer oem fenders over maiers. I have a couple used oem rear fenders for my 350x and I'm pretty happy with that. If they were nos 85 rear fenders and I have some spare bucks, well then I would be highly tempted to buy them. More people on here should really worry about their own stuff then what others have spent or are willing to spend. And things like this rank right up there with people who half their posts are about what is posted on ebay or craigslist. Most people on here eyes work just fine. Why waste perfectly good band width?

Beerside
03-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the tutorial on injection molding Pete, I can only imagine what kind of equipment Honda has inside there factory.

Vealmonkey
03-20-2010, 01:49 AM
There was a thread recently posted in the open forums on how a honda atv is made. One of the things it showed was the rear fenders being made. It also told how honda used 4 red pellets for every 100 white pellets to get that honda shade of red. Interesting video actually. The video was posted not quite a week ago. You should find it and watch it.