PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Do GNCC or Harescrambles?

JohnR.
03-21-2010, 07:14 PM
This is not necessarily 3 wheeler related but it is racing related. I'm thinking about hitting a couple of these this year on my 4x4. Anyone do any of these? There is at least 4 of them within 200 miles of my house so its a totally do-able weekend or day trip. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

John

jason85atc250r
03-21-2010, 08:16 PM
i do a couple of the Gncc races on my 400ex/250r known as "REX". You'll need to take friday off since that the day you have to sign up. Racing is saturday mourning. If your going to be racing the Artic Cat 500 you'll be in the 4x4 lites class. Pm me your number and i'll call you about it.

I ran the somserset PA, unadilla ny + ST clairsville ohio ones

JohnR.
03-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks Jason. Maybe they changed the sign up times for this year:

2. What are the sign-up times?
ATV registration begins Friday from 5 pm to 8 pm and continues Saturday at 7:00 am, with preference given to the 8:00 am Youth Race participants.

I can be home from work at 3pm on a Friday and all of the races (mostly harescrambles) I'm looking at are less than 200 miles away so I'd be OK without taking the day off. I'll send over my number in a PM, maybe we can BS tomorrow sometime.

I was figuring the 4x4 lite class. Doing it on that machine will pretty much ensure I don't finish that well but it'll be fun to do the race anyways. It looks like the only one that's a do-able one for me is the one up by Unadilla but I've been looking at some of the harescrambles in PA since there are several I can realistically make it to.

There is one on April 17th (I'm supposed to ride PA that day but I may do the race instead) in Berwick, PA at Evansville MX Park which is only 125 miles from here. It seems like there is a lot of harescramble type races going on but there isn't one simple site to get a list of all of them so you have to bounce around different MC/ATV club sites to find what is going on, where, and when.

John

jason85atc250r
03-21-2010, 08:57 PM
look at web site d6harescrambles.com to find about all the places in eastern PA. There is Line mountain that is a outlaw race that has trucks after we go on quads there site is lm4w.org

i mite be going to some district 6 ama races also. They are all on sundays and quads run last.

JohnR.
03-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info Jason! Did you happen to notice that there are rules for 3 wheeler classes on page 5 of this PDF:

LMFW Site (http://www.lm4w.org/LineMountainRules.pdf)

That sounds INTERESTING! I'll have to see what's up when they release their 2010 schedule.

John

jason85atc250r
03-21-2010, 10:47 PM
I was the last one to run a trike there in the mod class in 1998. There was guy on a 225dx in the other class. Josh aka Brapp ran there a couple times recently.

the races at Line Mountian are always the same weekend 2nd in June and 3rd in september.

pm me your number and i'll call and let know any info.

FastZ28
03-22-2010, 04:57 AM
Line Mountain sounds very interesting. I would be willing to give one of those a go on my ATC 250R if anyone else is up for it. Its only an hour and a half from me. So any other trikers interested? Lets pick a date and give it a go. Doesn't look like they conflict with any OTC events. What do ya think Jason, can ya rest Rex for one with the boys? Also whats with the events listed for Lebanon Jason? Columbia Hillclimbers, do they use the same rules and will allow trikes?
May 16 LM4W POKER RUN
June 12-13 LM4W 3.5 MILER
July 17-18 LM4W COAL BUCKET
Sept 18-19 LM4W 7 MILER

jason85atc250r
03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
The Columbis hillclimbers is just a 4x4 truck event only. I was definitly thinking about bringing my atc250r for the coal bucket race in July.

need to get this posted on the OTC site and get people to come out.

bigred44
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I am definitely interested in entering in one of these races. Maybe the coal bucket. I have a couple friends that might want to enter also.

Bryan Raffa
04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I would love to do a Hair scramble! lets do this!

jason85atc250r
04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm definitly going to be doing all 3 line Mountian races. I have to go to the June race since i'm going to be on the shirt. If you win your class you get your name and a picture on the shirt.

We should talk to them in june and see if they will have a seperate class for trikes. I was the last one to run my 85 atc250r back in 1998 so they dont show it on the sign up papers. They had a 2 stroke and 4 stroke class. They will defintily let trikes race.

We need to kindof set it up with them for them to get trophies. they actually pay cash and trophies for all classes even trucks.

Bryan Raffa
04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
jason is there any good camp site's close? how close are you?

jason85atc250r
04-08-2010, 11:06 PM
jason is there any good camp site's close? how close are you?

i live about a 1 hour 45 minutes away.

Line Mountian lets you camp on there. You can show up friday early evening and a weekend gate fee is $20 and you can stay till sunday. They give you a wrist band so you can leave to go get food or more beer if you drink. They have a food stand that is cheap for being at a track.

The big race is saturday and they usually have dirt drags and a short obstacle course race sunday. sunday you can run both things drags in the mourning and the course is at 1:00 or so. You can run all three.

JohnR.
04-09-2010, 11:16 PM
I want to send an email to the club over there and find out a specific schedule. If the race is Sunday afternoon then I need to take off Monday or at least change my shift to the afternoon that day.

John

Bryan Raffa
04-10-2010, 09:02 AM
why dont you do that john.. lets get our ducks in a row for this one..

Jason that sounds Great..

JohnR.
04-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I'll try to do that either tonight or Monday.

John

jason85atc250r
04-11-2010, 08:23 PM
you have to definitly be there by 7:00 saturday mourning to do the tech inspection and sign up. They have sign up and tech friday nite also.

Racing the 3 1/2 miler and coal bucket + 7 miler are always saturday. The quads start at 9:00 line mountian time (sometimes a little late). Trucks and buggeis start around 11:00.

we will have about a hour 1/2 to do our 3 laps for the 3 1/2 and the coal bucket is 4 laps in the same time. They are dead engine starts like district harescrambles and the scoring is by bar code stuck on left side of your helmet. You stop quick at the check points and you get zapped like groceries and tack off.

Sunday is just the drag racing sometimes they dont have that and the Short Obstacle course in the afternoon. It's a course at the end of the parking lot.

JohnR.
04-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Well I finally got around to sending an email to them asking if there is still a class for three wheelers if we show up with them. I'm waiting to hear back but here is the email I sent to them:

I was reading through the rules for the 3 1/2 Miler, Coal Bucket, and 7 Miler when I noticed you had two 3 wheeler classes. A friend of mine who has raced several LMFW events in the past said he has run his 3 wheeler but it was quite a few years ago. There are several of us who are interested in racing our trikes in at least one of the races but I wanted to touch base with you first to make sure that there is still a class for the trikes at these events. Please let me know so I can relay the info to the others who would like to run.

Thank You.

John

Hopefully I get a positive response. I'll keep you all updated.

John

jason85atc250r
04-19-2010, 10:06 PM
i know for sure they will definitly let us race with the quads. We need to talk to them ahead of time about a seperate trike class so they can get trophies.

JohnR.
04-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm not even concerned if I get a trophy or not. If I have a good time that's all that matters. I already got a reply from Denton over at the LM4W:

Hi John are meeting is wensday night I will bring it up and see what everybody thinks and I'll let you no asap.

Thank you
Vice president
Denton Kosmer

I replied to thank him and mentioned that it was you, Jason, that sent me over there. Hopefully this works out.

John

jason85atc250r
04-19-2010, 10:15 PM
they mite know me from my 2001 yellow 400ex with the 250r motor in it. i won the 2 stroke class a couple times over the last couple years. It was 1998 that i ran my trike there.

We will get a trophy and cash.

JohnR.
04-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I mentioned that you won the 2 stroke class on a 250R powered 400EX. I figured it couldn't hurt to name drop. :D Hopefully something comes of it. I got some seat time on the 350X on Sunday following my daughter around my uncle's property and it seems good to go with the rebuilt brakes. I just want to take the 14 tooth front off and go back to the 13 tooth for the woods. It works fine with the 14 but the 13 will be a little easier on the clutch in the tight stuff. I think I'm going to need to swap my Turf Tamers out for something a little more aggressive too. I could probably get my cousin's 20" Holeshot XC's or my buddy's 20" Mudlite SP's. What do you think is a better choice Jason?

John

jason85atc250r
04-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I mentioned that you won the 2 stroke class on a 250R powered 400EX. I figured it couldn't hurt to name drop. :D Hopefully something comes of it. I got some seat time on the 350X on Sunday following my daughter around my uncle's property and it seems good to go with the rebuilt brakes. I just want to take the 14 tooth front off and go back to the 13 tooth for the woods. It works fine with the 14 but the 13 will be a little easier on the clutch in the tight stuff. I think I'm going to need to swap my Turf Tamers out for something a little more aggressive too. I could probably get my cousin's 20" Holeshot XC's or my buddy's 20" Mudlite SP's. What do you think is a better choice Jason?

John
i would use the Holeshot's the mudlites have wimpy sidewalls they are only 2 or 4 ply. The turf tamers would not be a good chiose since 2 ply's. You mite as well poke a hole in them at the start and get it over with. LOL

I run Razr 2's or get some I razr's they work good in the rocks and are 6 plys.

JohnR.
04-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Are we talking about the same tires? The Mudlite SP's are 6 ply tires. In any case I'll just grab the XC's from my cousin.

John

Bryan Raffa
04-19-2010, 11:29 PM
well theres alot more Intrested in racing.....let us know

ChrisD
04-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Count me in. That's not far from Tower City, so I should be able to make that easily.

JohnR.
04-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Glad you spotted this Chris. I was meaning to shoot an email over to you about it. I'm hoping to hear back from the guy either Wednesday night or Thursday.

Bryan Raffa
04-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Count me in. That's not far from Tower City, so I should be able to make that easily.

how far?.. you got a yard where your at?

JohnR.
04-20-2010, 08:26 PM
LOL! About 125 miles in the wrong direction for you Bryan. We're gonna do us some campin' that weekend! WOOHOO! Once our race is over there is gonna be some heavy duty drinkin'!

Bryan Raffa
04-20-2010, 08:55 PM
LOL! About 125 miles in the wrong direction for you Bryan. We're gonna do us some campin' that weekend! WOOHOO! Once our race is over there is gonna be some heavy duty drinkin'!

ok....OK....OK... lol... Atc Tim and FastZ28 wanna run this also...

JohnR.
04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Also, keep in mind your vehicle may need to be registered and insured to run this. I'll read over the rules again and if it doesn't specify I'll email them about it.

John

Bryan Raffa
04-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Also, keep in mind your vehicle may need to be registered and insured to run this. I'll read over the rules again and if it doesn't specify I'll email them about it.

John

I doubt brapp had his registered and insured when he ran...lmao... eather way Im good on both my racebike and trail..thats why sometime you see the sticker and not the plate ..;)

JohnR.
04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Good point. Josh isn't the registering and insuring type. :) I'll double check though.

ChrisD
04-20-2010, 10:35 PM
So, are we talking the second weekend in June? That should be good for me. I will try to get up to NY to get my 4 gallon tank.

JohnR.
04-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Let me know if you need me to mail it down to you Chris.

John

Bryan Raffa
04-20-2010, 11:37 PM
4 gal tank...geeze..it only a 3.5 .. you gonna lap us 4x chris..lol

JohnR.
04-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Good point. You could probably do the whole race on one tank with the short track tank on it, the stock one should be plenty.

jason85atc250r
04-21-2010, 08:53 PM
You do not need registration i never had it on my quads i have only seen a couple of the utilty class quads with it. They want you to have a kill cord for tech inspection.

Also we can all camp at the track there is plenty of room and you can drink after the race just not during if your racing. Just dont be cuasing a big rucis or they mite kick you out just have to keep it to a mild rucis. You can get there Friday nite and camp till sunday for a $20 gate fee and can go as you please with wrist band. Regular gate fee is $10 a day.

For the races the 3 1/2 miler is only 3 laps, Coal bucket is 4 laps , 7 miler is 2 laps. You get a 1 1/2 hours to finish it usaully without problems takes you a hour or a little under.. You have time to do some repairs and still finish.

By the way the track is about 10 minutes away from the Trevorton hill climbs. If nobody want s to race the other stuff sunday we could go there instead.

ChrisD
04-21-2010, 10:07 PM
I didn't know it was that short. Sounds good. Keep us posted.

Bryan Raffa
04-21-2010, 11:10 PM
YES!! sounds GREAT!!!!

JohnR.
04-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Good news! Got this reply today from the VP of the Line Mountain 4 Wheelers;

Good afternoon John we talked about having three wheelers race and we are all okay with it. Use will have your own class. So please tell all your friends and get a big group the more the better.

Thank you and see ya at the races.
Vice president
Denton Kosmer

Let's step up our game and put on a strong showing. I've got a couple of people that either aren't on here or are and haven't posted in here yet, I'm going to contact them about it.

John

JohnR.
04-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh, and I will start a new thread for this later this evening.

John

oldtime3wheeler
04-22-2010, 06:40 PM
I checked my calender and Im free on the 12th of June. Im in for the race as long as my trike is ready. How many want to do this? We need to get a good group and rip it up.

Bryan Raffa
04-22-2010, 06:54 PM
oh this will be great.. 1 hour of pure hell...:naughty: cant wait,, Dont be following me....:lol::naughty::twisted:

I'm gonna call this Practice for Trike Fest!

jason85atc250r
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
As rocky as this is in some sections you will be thinking your racing the old Blackwater course. It has a deep waterhole i always take the wussy route around. There is a big hill climb close to the start and and everybody spectates there it's fun to watch the trucks there after are race.

Even though it's only a hour you will be more tired then amy MX race you ran.

Bryan Raffa
04-23-2010, 11:00 PM
ya ... and we gotta run after the trucks tear it up! shiznit!....

jason ,, I thin at Malvern I had about 30 min seat time ... broke up over practice and the races... I know what.. balls out for a hour intales....

Thers no way its Rockeyer than the BackBone!...? is it?....

jason85atc250r
04-23-2010, 11:40 PM
We will run before the trucks at 9:00 and it has some really rocky section i think are just as bad from the pics i have seen as the Devils Backbone at trike fest.

Was just posting about the tired thing earlier just from my experience. I get way more tired from this even then the day i ran three classes at Smith Rd.

FastZ28
04-24-2010, 11:47 PM
I thought the plan was for the Coal Bucket race.:( This 3.5 miler I doubt I can make unless someone wants to tell my wife this is more important than our anniversary.:crazy:

ChrisD
04-25-2010, 07:06 AM
It's a two way street....tell her it can be your anniversary present!

JohnR.
04-25-2010, 10:43 AM
.....or tell her you're taking her for a weekend getaway! HAHA!!

I don't know if any of the other guys are hitting the Coal Bucket race but I'm pretty sure I'm not. I think I will be en-route to VA Beach for a week vacation that Saturday. I'm hoping to make the 7 miler though.

John

JohnR.
04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Could we possibly shut this thread down and make posts in the actual race thread now? Maybe one of the mods can lock it up?

jason85atc250r
04-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I'll be going to all 3 of the races up there at Line Mountian

Billy Golightly
04-25-2010, 12:03 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?112669-June-12th-Three-Wheeler-Friendly-Harescramble-Dornsife-PA

Discussion about the Harescramble can now be found in the above thread :)