PDA

View Full Version : 1979 atc110 - conversion to cdi - information please

fridgemagnet
03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Hi - I'm new here, found this site on a Google search, and had some difficulty signing up - Thanks to whoever it was that sorted that problem so quickly.
I own a 998cc 4 stroke twin Wasp engined Wasp sidecar motocrosser, and an atc110.
The Wasp is fine, but the atc110 has points ignition - horrible.
Can anyone tell me about converting to cdi? I guess about any small Honda cdi would do, but the sender is not so easy - any ideas?
Ebay has conversions, but they are expensive, and, I think, made in Malaysia - seeing as I live in Thailand I could maybe buy direct - but I do not know enough about the conversion to begin to track it down.
Well, any advice will be gratefully received.

shortline10
03-22-2010, 06:00 PM
cant be done because the flywheels are different from cdi to points and you cant change the flywheel because the crank is different also .

fridgemagnet
03-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Well - this guy thinks it's easy - is he missing something? I can't post a pic of this conversion, as I have a macbook - it saves web pages as "webarchives" - you won't be able to open these.

This BUY IT NOW auction is for a set of contact less CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) electronic ignition and high power generator system to upgrade your Z50, S65, SL70, CT70, SL70, XL70, SS50, ATC70 OR ATC90.

IMPORTANT REMARK!!! This BOLT ON setup does not require any machining or modifications to your engine crankshaft and crankcase. Also your original Engine side covers will go right on without any modifications needed and thus it still retians the 100% authentic original looks of your bike. Further more, the original 6 volts configuration is retained and thus, you dont need to change any electrical equipements on your bike like horn, rectifier and etc. Thus No extra hidden cost involved for the conversion.

Results will be noticed instantly once installed. Forget about nighmares of incorrectly set ignition timing, point gaps, pitted points, faulty condensers, poor spark and most importantly, dangerously dim lights.. This kit is made to convert all the 6volt bikes to a contact less ignition system with a higher output lighting coil. Just remove your old ignition/charging assembly and bolt this one on using your old rotor magnet, connect up and thats it... Takes less than an hour to do it! works with the original bike's wiring and equipment setup, keyswitch and ignition high tension coil.

Please let me know which year, model and if possible your engine number (Very Importants as different model, year and versions to different countries have a different ignition timing setup, compression ratio and emission characteristics to match, not to mention different wiring setup on each case and i have different cdi black box specially taylor made to suite each case) Thus please supply me with the details and i will send the correct unit with all the instructions you need to know to install on your bike with the correct wiring diagrams and variable trimmer setting on the black box.

*** Special notes to bikes installed with Kitako and Takagawa tuning parts, please advise on type of cam, compression ratio and bore & stroke. Will need to know to get your fuel air mixture setting, carby type & jettings and cdi box VR setting correct and thus producing the correct power band.

Air mail postage cost 20US$ to send to anywhere in USA. Other countries, kindly ask... Please ask any questions before bidding, all sales are final. Please ask any questions before bidding, all sales are final. Please ask any questions before bidding, all sales are final. Winning bidder's to pay with Paypal (preferred), or money transfer. Kindly check out MY EBAY and other online auctions for C100, c70 passport, S90 and other Classic motorcycle spares.

shortline10
03-23-2010, 06:22 AM
the atc90 motor is a completely different motor than the others listed . none of the other motors use a cam driven points set up . I have seen the cdi conversion kits for the other motors .

fridgemagnet
03-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Well - he says he does conversions for atc90 and atc70.
Are you saying that the atc110 is different from these, so the conversion cannot work?

shortline10
03-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Well - he says he does conversions for atc90 and atc70.
Are you saying that the atc110 is different from these, so the conversion cannot work?

This topic has been gone over a bunch of times on this site and I haven't seen a conversion to change a atc90 or a points atc110 motor either to CDI yet . Doesn't mean that a kit doesn't exist but I pers haven't seen one . To many factors involved to do a change over .

fridgemagnet
03-24-2010, 04:20 AM
Here's the link to the conversion on ebay - it looks to be a tidy bit of kit.
I cannot sign in to ebay from Thailand - they don't allow it, so I can't contact the seller to ask specifically about the atc110 (1979)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360204303899&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_1099wt_1167

shortline10
03-24-2010, 06:24 AM
Here's the link to the conversion on ebay - it looks to be a tidy bit of kit.
I cannot sign in to ebay from Thailand - they don't allow it, so I can't contact the seller to ask specifically about the atc110 (1979)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360204303899&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_1099wt_1167

I have seen that kit and its designed for a motor with the point set up at the crank only not a cam driven point set up . The sellers description is wrong it will not work on a atc90 .

1979ATC110
03-24-2010, 06:17 PM
So just to make sure I've got this right - even if you modified a pulse generator from a later 110 engine to fit the end of the cam and smaller housing, and found a later CDI unit and wiring harness, it still wouldn't work because the points and condenser 110 engines were 6v ?
Are the 6v and 12v generators interchangeable or not?

fridgemagnet
03-25-2010, 04:33 AM
or use a voltage doubler before the ignition side of things?
Perhaps the output from the 6v. is not sufficient for doubling up - resulting in too weak a spark.

5mman
11-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Does anyone have any info regarding changing the 1979 model motor out entirely for a late model ('84-'85) motor? It'd be a great motor change but the seller tells me there is "too much to change". I want to know what needs to be changed. I'm still asking questions of the seller but thouht someone here might point me in the right direction..