PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know banking rules / regulations? Need help with a strange HSA issue.

Macs
03-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Last week my wife went to the dentist. she tried to use are HSA card but was unable to. I figured it is out of money and thats what they do when your account gets to 0. today i got a letter saying i was over drawn multiple thousands of dollars in my HSA account. I call them and i had about 100 charges come through March 9th. First thing i thought was fraud, But after getting transfered around a bit they finally told me that for some reason my account got linked to someone elses. this had been going on for about 2 years and was caught on March 9th. I was wandering if there is a time limit they can do this? Can they really charge my card for something that was done 2 years ago? Isnt there a time limit on that kinda thing? I skimmed some google sites and i ran across an article that said 30 days max. but i didnt give any details. If anyone knows how this works please let me know.

Dirtcrasher
03-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Whats HSA so I find out some info; And the rest of us

Macs
03-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Health Savings Account - It is a bank account that is to be used for medical expenses only and contributions are tax free.

I was looking into everything for a few minutes today. It appears that i have not contributed to it since october of last year, even though the money has been taken directly out of my paycheck every two weeks. I am thinking that my contributions might be going to his account.

smokinwrench
03-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Wow what a mess. Sure hope you get it figured out.

dcreel
03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Maybe call a lawyer that deals with issues like this? Not to sue anyone but to find out some real hard facts about your rights in this situation. I would say it's on the provider that allowed the problem to happen. I wouldn't think you would be held liable for someone else's charges.

oldtime3wheeler
03-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Have your employer print out your contributions since October. Contact your provider and have them find where your money went. I check mine after every transaction to make sure there hasnt been any deductions that arent authorized.
Also if the other member was using there account to purchase items or services that are not covered you may be responsible at tax time to pay either the taxes on the value or a penalty for the funds used. Remember Uncle sam doesnt want that money being spent on anything but medical services or he wants his cash.

Macs
03-23-2010, 11:02 PM
The plot has thickened;

I just spent another hour on the phone with the bank. I told them that i am not responsible for anything over thirty days after the initial transaction, but in reality by law i am not responsible for anything after ten days ( if i have understand the law right, told them thirty cause i could not get clarity on ten ). They said that with an HSA account they can hold, transfer and reverse charges for an unlimited amount of time. It can be 500 years. They also told me there would be a $25 charge for every transaction that went over my limit, it just takes up to 3 weeks for these to be in affect ( which will be another $2300 ) and there will also be another charge every 30 days that this isnt resolved..........

Luckily the engineering firm i was managing has a mediator/ financial lawyer that can help me out. Of course it is free of charge but after chatting with him for about 3 minutes i realized i knew more than he did about law. He asked " is it your debt " I told him " maybe, i am not quite sure ". he said " well, pay the 1600 and it will be over ". I laughed at him, asked if it was a prank, then hung up. The magic question is................................................

How long after a transaction takes place, can a bank debit your account....... This is the magic question that every lawyer i have talked to can not provide. I trust 3ww members more than anyone else. If someone can show me, in the books where it states this i will donate $100 to 3ww. Maybe more. I just dont have time, but if anyone can find it you will be a 3ww hero.

Let me give a little background on myself........ I have ran many companies. I have been as high as third in command with a fortune 500 company. I am hardnosed, strong and intelligent. I have dealt with alot of bullshitters that control the market and every single time i destroy them. That is why i am highly sought after. They have tried to use some of my own techniques against me which means i am doing something right...... But for every action there is a reaction and they do not have the reaction. They are using the bully technique to strike fear which is common but it only takes a few words to throw them off script and then they are lost to the point they stumble on there own name. Kinda reminds me of a 419 er. I studied law for a bit and some of my closest friends are lawyers ( yes, they are the leeches, the ambulance chasers etc ) and when i ask them about financial issues all i get is a blank stare.