PDA

View Full Version : Riding boot break-in help

fabiodriven
03-23-2010, 10:15 AM
So I've always worn work boots riding and I'd like to start wearing my riding boots. I bought a set a couple years ago and they were so stiff I couldn't even get my toe under the shifter to upshift. They are made by O'Neal and I know they are supposed to be stiff, but these things seem REALLY stiff. I am wearing them right now at work to try and loosen them up a little. What else can I do?

gripnrip
03-23-2010, 11:24 AM
The best way that I know is to put them on and then take a water hose and wet them down “just on the out side” like your washing off the mud after a good ride.
Then keep them on for awhile and walk around in them, then squat down with them on and it will rock you up on your tows. That should do the trick for you.

Don’t worry about ruining the boots, they are made to get wet. I wash mine inside and out from tome to time and they hold up very well.

Dennis

keister
03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Step 1: Ride
Step 2: Wash them
Step 3: Ride some more
Repeat as necessary.

Since getting riding boots I have also moved all of my shift levers up a few notches on the spline to clear the larger boots.

fabiodriven
03-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Step 1: Ride
Step 2: Wash them
Step 3: Ride some more
Repeat as necessary.

Since getting riding boots I have also moved all of my shift levers up a few notches on the spline to clear the larger boots.

I can't do that. I can't even shift with these things on. They are like rocks.

Mosh
03-23-2010, 01:21 PM
I wore them and waded in a creek until they were soaked,then rode them wet for a few hours..
It sucked, but after that, they were golden.

gripnrip
03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
A lot of people move there shifter up a notch or two, but it’s been my experience that by doing that you run the risk of putting too much weight on the shifter lever when you land a jump. This could bend or break the lever or even bend the shifter forks in the trany.
If you just cant seem to get used to riding with boots then you can make the shifter longer by cutting it in half and welding in a spacer.

Some boot stiles are a little thinner in the tow area and are better then others.

Getting them wet and wearing them does seem to work though.

Dennis

Dirtcrasher
03-23-2010, 01:53 PM
20 minutes at 350 degrees ought to do it :lol:

John, mine still hurt sometimes but I think it's the design of the GAERNE boot. I like the walking and riding them wet idea and wearing them at work...........

fabiodriven
03-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try the thing with the water, but I have a feeling I may need better boots. Even though these things are brand new, they were only like $60 or something cheap like that so I'm getting the feeling there may be something wrong with them. I had a guy in my shop this morning that felt them and he couldn't believe how tough they were.

Dirtcrasher
03-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I wonder if the ski shop would help you......

A heat gun/hair dryer would be similar but; They broke in my SKI boots with a machine that got them nice ansd hot, then you walked around. Cross Sabers in Ranyham did it, it can't hurt to offer 10-20$ for them to try or just unload them and grab another set.

I have 3 sets of boots here that you are welcome to try.

I can't ride without boots, they make me feel like Jeremy McGrath :D

cox
03-23-2010, 02:26 PM
You feel like Jeremy McGrath when you were MX boots? I am SO getting a pair....

300rman
03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
You arent supposed to bend your foot to shift, or your ankle for that matter. it took me a few weeks to get used to shifting with my boots....at first i couldnt get into second gear. now all is well. i never washed mine either.

just practice with em.

MyMistress86R
03-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I concur with the water/wear method. Derrick Adams does this with every pair of boots he buys and I did it with my Fly 805s. Find a creek and dunk them effers then just spend as much time in them as you can until they start to get flexible. I had the same problems you are having and this trick had em ready in no time.

3wheelmecca
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
+1 on that. My Answer vintage boots were very hard, but I put them in a 5 gallon bucket full of water, dried the inside, and rode for a day and now I can run with them on. Also try Armor-All to keep them clean, it works on mine.

leviblue
03-24-2010, 02:46 PM
I went fly fishing with mine then let my little brother wear them for a while. I don't wear them much anymore I like short boots better so I'm looking a the Thor low cuts.

tanks350x
03-27-2010, 07:44 AM
I have a pair of THOR Quadrants, I have the same issues as you do John. I've had them for over a year and you never seen me wear them on the trails. I can't break them in

Bryan Raffa
03-27-2010, 09:22 AM
If leather Use OIL.. it will also waterproof them! ,, baseball glove oil works good... but 10-30 works good also:lol:

and after I hose them off after a ride I spray them with tire shine foam... keeps them soft and shiny!

Billy Golightly
03-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I had the same issue when I first got my boots, I have Thor Quadrants as well, and had always worn work boots. I wore mine everyday for about a week and a half. In Walmart, everywhere, and they finally loosened up. Shifting is still a pain in the ass, and I can get much more precise shifts with work boots, but I don't have near the ankle and leg protection. Plus if your jumping alot, the arch support of the riding boots can't be beat. Doesn't hurt your feet nearly as bad when you land hard.

Mosh
03-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Shifting is still a pain in the ass, and I can get much more precise shifts with work boots, but I don't have near the ankle and leg protection. Plus if your jumping alot, the arch support of the riding boots can't be beat. Doesn't hurt your feet nearly as bad when you land hard.

^^THAT is exactly why I quit wearing riding boots.^^
Shifting sucks. You either move your shifter up and get good upshifts, or move your shifter down and get better down shifts. No in between.
I actually tweaked my ankle bad jumping wearing riding boots when I landed perfectly because of the arch issues. I slipped off the pegs more with them on, than with work boots.
IF I were a full time professional quad rider, I would wear them just for the fact that you will be getting banged around.
I have found a good hi top pair of workboots work fine, and coupled with shin gaurds will some decent protection for the recreational rider.
The only downfall is the back of your calf is exposed to the footpeg if something goes wrong there.
Not to mention, riding boots tear the crap out of your seat vinyl and other stuff on the atv.
That is cool with me..Keeps me in business.

Billy Golightly
03-27-2010, 10:56 AM
When I was flat track racing, I refused to wear riding boots because of the shifting issue. Unless your a pro level rider (And you arent) that has been using them for 15 years, your going to be worse shifting with riding boots than you are with work boots. The other problem I had was, because my bike was so low, I actually couldn't get my riding boot under the shifter without it catching the ground. I could with work boots.

300rman
03-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Practice, practice, practice. Nice boots help too. i tried a cheap pair, and couldnt shift. went to Tech 10's, and was immediately better. with some practice, i can shift it fast and accurately, without having to have changed the pedal around.

i know tech 8's have a lip on the toe meant for catching the shifter, those are even easier to shift in, but arent as comfortable.

as for the foot slipping off, i had that problem too. problem wasnt grip, but rather it was harder to feel where your foot was at on the peg.

Kintore
03-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Im with ya on that,

im thinking these "cheaper" boots might be your problem bud. Im running Alpinestar tech 3's, I bought for 200 bucks like 2.5 years ago.

I know they arent cheap like your 60 ones, or expensive as the 600+ dollar ones.

All I did was wear them around everywhere for a few days and I was golden, yes I have had to move my shifter up on my R. But I have no issues shifting with them.

The ONLY problem with them I had was, the way my fenders were cut they would get stuck inbetween the fender and the peg and wedge me in. SO I solved that with a lil grinding no biggie.

fabiodriven
03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I really want to thank all you guys for the responses. I think I know what I have to do. I'm just gonna stick with work boots.

300rman
03-28-2010, 02:04 PM
If your not jumping huge or crashing, then the boots arent really necessary for a trike or quad.....on a dirtbike, its required....i cant count how many injuries they have saved me from, from something as simple as sticking my foot out and catching part of a stump out on a trail.....

Dirtcrasher
04-04-2010, 01:27 PM
I tried on TANK's THOR QUADRANTS yesterday, they were about 1 or 1/2 size too large or I would have bought them from him, they were 11's I believe.

These boots felt FANTASTIC and plenty flexible, plus a superior clamp system in comparison to my GAERNE boots that need to be replaced severely.......

I told him to come over next weekend and we will bend, add to it and adjust that shift lever to suit him. He mentioned the bottoms were flat but mine are also.

He also mentioned he kept hitting the rear brake and I reminded him that we can raise and or lower it to suit his position on the trike.

Say what you will, but in the type of riding we do; My boots have saved me many a broken ankle or foot. That solid feel right up to your knees gives you allot more confidence when hitting a jump.

I'll ALWAYS wear riding boots. I've always broke them in just wearing them around the house and climbing stairs or rocking back and forth and side to side. Like we've all said, soaking them helps too.

Roys boots were very comfortable, didn't seem to even need breaking in. We just need to custom fit his 2 pedals to suit him. I think he'll be all set and glad when all is said and done!! :beer