PDA

View Full Version : Bought me a Jeep Cherokee

PowerTrike
08-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Its an 87 with 160K on it. Laredo package. 4x4. 4.0l straight six and most of the options. I like it :) What do you guys think of these rigs? Anybody own one? I was also kinda wondering what seems to go out on these things first? It has a lot of new parts on it but the only major problem I can find is it has kinda a rough idle (knocks a little). New plugs/try injector cleaner? Really sorry I don't have any pics yet but I will try to post later!

Nick

ATC crazy
08-26-2003, 08:34 PM
My friend's mom has a '88...it looks cool and rides nice

PowerTrike
08-26-2003, 09:33 PM
Actually mine might be an 88. The title states that it is an 87 but everything in the owners manual says its an 88? I will try to find out for sure. I really love the selec-trac tranny and the selectibe shifts with Performance (firm) or comfort. Any good mods reccomended like maybe a lift?

HemiChallenger71
08-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Excellent reliability! That thing will last forever if it was taken care of and you do the same.

bakeban
08-27-2003, 01:02 AM
i have a 99 cherokee and it rulz.

FullBore
08-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Nice ride but crap on corners!
Lots of power witch is always nice!
Quite capable offroad but not much underbody protection so go careful.

Nat

yater
08-27-2003, 03:24 PM
You're really asking for trouble if you lift that thing. They are pretty capable stock(with better tires)--If you lift it, it will break.

mkramm
08-27-2003, 11:40 PM
I have a grand cherokee laredo, with 180k on it. Leaks like crazy but never has broken down. And I have the V8 with Removed cat & a cherry bomb muffler :evil: Sounds Very NIce! Believe it or not those cherokees can pull alot of weight. Mine can pull 6500lbs! I pull my 27ft prowler with it no problems

PowerTrike
08-31-2003, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys. Its an 87. Yeah I really don't think that I would lift it anytime soon. I guess it gets pretty good power for a straight six, I would trade it for V8 any day, but I am happy that the first owner didn't go for the 2.5l 4 cyl (yuk) :) . Something I just found out is that it has the optional "trac-loc" locker! It locks the back diff. automaticly (seems to anyway) when you put the T-case in low for 2wd or 4. Tried it on one hill and was impressed. Might just have to ditch the cat and get a cherry bomb on it myself mkramm ;)

hondaATCman
09-06-2003, 10:38 PM
I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with 80k on it. Its awesome, both on and off road. It will climb anything you have the balls to go up and they have ALOT of towing power. Mine is also a straight six, and with that engine/tranny combo, they're good for over 300k miles if it was/is taken very good care of.

PowerTrike
09-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Thats cool HondaATCman. Glad to hear they have some reliability. Kinda off my topic but really how much power does removing the stock cat add (to any rig) im not in CA and all you need in MN is a muffler so I was just kinda wondering? I think that I may do a little exhaust work to my Cherokee becuase the muffer is starting to go so I might as well fix it up good... Doh! I still don't have a pic up... :)

lushatc200x
09-07-2003, 11:05 AM
damn skippy they can haul alot of weight. we just pulled 180 sheets of half inch ply wood on a 14 foot trailer. it only has a straight 6 in it but these vehichles are the most reliable made. we have had ours since 94 . when we got it it had 18,??? miles on it. know it has close to 150,000 on it and we havent had to do anything but general maintanence. belts stuff like that. never has that jeep broke down. never has it overheated. the only thing that i have noticed though is that the clutch has a tad tad bit of slippage seeing how my dad always hauls stuff with it. he once hauled an old f-100 on a 24 foot trailer from charleston, wv to huntington, wv. and that is mostly uphill. i have a jeep commanchee my dad just gave to me for passing my ged test. it has 150,??? miles on it and runs like new. i must say i love jeep.