PDA

View Full Version : LT80 questions

dcreel
03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I just put a JL 6" wider front end on our LT80. It looks great. My question is how do you set the front end of a quad up? No toe or a little toe in? I know how to measure toe with a mark in the middle of the tires, measure, rotate, then measure again. Right now it is even front and back no toe. But it seems to push in corners. I also put on a set of 5" Durablue spacers. I also got a Graydon Proline sectional pipe and put it on. It sounds great!! I haven't sanded and painted it yet, I couldn't wait to hear it.

Here are some pictures.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/002-1.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/003-1.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/010.jpg

Is there any better ways of making sure the bars are centered with the wheels? Also, the rear wheels are flipped around making the rear about 1.5 inches wider than the front. Would that make the front push more?

smokinwrench
03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
That looks almost identical like my boys old LT80, real good machines. I read a good article in Dirt Wheels long ago about making quads so wide they handle poorly and start pushing. I know okierrider had the james lucky wideners and I never remember him saying anything about pushing. I ran rear rims backwards for added width on both of ours and never noticed it pushing.

For front end alignment get 2 tow straps and hook 1 from each side of the bars to the grab bar to hold bars straight. Now that bars are held tight and straight, get 2 heavy items and tie a string between them super tight, make sure string is same height as middle of rear rims. Manuver string so that it is perfectly same distance from string to front side of rear rim as the back side. Now you can measure toe in on that side of machine and set it to 1/16-1/8. Then move everything to other side and repeat. I can do it faster then I can type it out.

Also if your going for some real speed/quickness. Remove the side cover and take out every other roller in front clutch. If you haven't done any service to this, I'm sure your rollers are ruined and turned sideways in the slots. If my memory is correct I think it has 5 rollers from facotry and only put 3 back in, it is amazing how snappy it makes it.

Also for great performance in the dunes we ran a set of of 20" 7 paddle gliders they barely fit under fender but it was great. Much more ground clearance so way less pushing out in steep stuff.

Okie had a bunch of mods on his might see if he still has any parts or remembers any tricks that I forgot.

dcreel
03-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll do that. It's pretty quick for a little bike. I can ride wheelies all day long on it. Not bad for pulling around a 200 pounder. We got a set of the little 4 paddle gliders for it. They were on Craigslist for $75 on new wheels so it was worth it. But the paddles I see most of them running are the 5 paddle gliders. If it makes my daughter happy then its all good. Thanks again.

big yeller
03-24-2010, 12:15 AM
wow you i had no ideal you could turn them things in to something like that. i had one almost like it for my first quad but mine was white/yellow, that thing was fun.

smokinwrench
03-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Be careful letting big people ride it to much. My boy broke 2 axles on ours over the years. I never rode it much but did ride wheelies on it some not sure if that had anything to do with it, they never broke while I was riding it but I have always wondered.

skippy
03-25-2010, 08:28 PM
ill dig up some pics.. my son use to race the lt's.. but be careful of the weight on the rear of those w the factory shock.. it will bottom out over small jumps and you can easily crack the engine cases, buy some works for the beast and wait till you or yr kid feels the difference, you can run nylon spacers for the rear to even them out, just dont trust the threaded studs. like said remove the rollers.. a guy named lt80 on www.atvriders.com is the king of these old machines.. he can work you thru any mods. i still have 4 moded lt80 laying around, if you need parts.

LT80
03-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Mind if I chime in??? :)

skippy
03-27-2010, 04:23 PM
ahh.. there is the legend! lt80.. the lt80 man

smokinwrench
03-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Dcreel I found a set of oem lt80 wheels yesterday in my garage, tires are pretty much worn out but if you want them you can have them.

dcreel
03-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Dcreel I found a set of oem lt80 wheels yesterday in my garage, tires are pretty much worn out but if you want them you can have them.

Are you going to be at the Rampage at Little Sahara in April? How much do you want for them?

And LT80.. I am new to these things. I have rebuilt the intake side after I bought it. New Boyesen reeds, new intake block, rebuilt carb, new air filter and air box elbow (old one was cracked with silicone). I traded a 01 XR50R for it that I paid $200 for. I think I got a great deal. The petcock is fubar'd, but the PO put an inline shut off on it. I read that a banshee petcock is a bolt on, true? The auto luber has been blocked off. Running super M at 32:1 with 91 octane. With the 6" added width the front end is now super soft. The daughter rolled it at stock width. Her fault standing and a hard right turn. We are trying to get her comfortable again. She has full gear with a chest protector and alpinestars neckroll. We widened it to lessen the chance of a rollover, and explained why it happened and how to make it not happen again. Sounds like an 80cc dirtbike with the pipe on it.

What kind of oil to use for the bottom end? How well do the pull starters work? They are pricy but it would be nice to get out of the dunes if the battery goes dead? How hard is it to add a light? Oh, it's an 87. Supposed to have a new top end. But after looking at the silicone'd intake elbow i doubt it. It does pull good though. Where are the choke down devices they use for new riders? 1 in the intake and 1 in the exhaust? I think they have been removed but I need to check to be sure.

LT80, thanks for any info you can give..

smokinwrench
03-28-2010, 01:01 AM
I have to work during rampage this year. I think someone is stopping by before rampage to get a R roller from me, maybe he could haul them down. As for pay how about a beer next time we meet up. I won't ever use them so if you can put them to use that would be great.

LT80
03-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Did the guy get his toe-in set?

I thought Lil Sahara was way cool! 1200 miles from my house. 1/2 the distance to Glamis. :)

"Remove the side cover and take out every other roller in front clutch"...IMO,remove 2 rollers out of the 6.

yocs3
03-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Sorry to butt in guys, I have a dumb question. I removed all bolts from the cover and still cannot get it off. Any ideas?

smokinwrench
03-30-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't remember anything difficult about it, but it has been years since I had one apart.

LT80
03-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Bolt on the lil cover at the 3 O'clock position out?
Other than that, they can be tight.