PDA

View Full Version : was woundering the pros and cons of a blaster

big yeller
03-24-2010, 12:18 AM
ok i been wanting a sport type trike or quad for a long time. well sport trikes are hard to find in my area so i been looking and blasters are a dime a dozen. i mean there are so many of them i found and fairly cheap. i know there kinda a entry level quad but i was woundering if any one on here owns one or riden one. how did yall like it. they fairly quick, what are common parts that break, any thing i should really look at before buying??? thanks in advance

300rman
03-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Pros- small, quick, fun, cheap. Can get big power out of the motor with a grand and still be reliable. they feel like a little toy, and they are a blast to ride, no pun intended. If you are a smaller, light guy, you will love it. and you could always drop a YZ250 motor in the frame for a real fast ride. if you wanted power, this is the route i would take for sure. no matter what you do to the blaster motor, getting close to a stock YZ250 motor would be hard to do.

cons- until the 03+ models, the brakes are mechanical not hydraulic. they work okay, but they are a bit grabby. there are plenty of options to upgrade to hydraulic though.
small. if your a big/tall guy, you will hate it. other than that, they are pretty solid.

shannonw
03-24-2010, 08:12 AM
We have one, I love it! Dead stone reliable! There are lots of aftermarket options if you want them, and as you say, a dime a dozen... Can't go wrong with that choice in my opnion.

big yeller
03-24-2010, 09:43 AM
wow sounds like a winner to me. im 5'9" and 190lbs i dont think i should have a problem riding it. i was looking at the aftermarket stuff they have for them and i was amazed with the stuff they have for them. i think im going to go look at one sometime this week.

jrwebb8324
03-24-2010, 07:22 PM
i had one and i think they are junk. Could not keep a top end on it. Had good power when it would run.

300rman
03-24-2010, 10:25 PM
We had a blaster that came from a very close family friend who was the original owner. SAME top end all those years. if you cant keep a top end in a machine, your doing something wrong.

a pipe and stuff is ok, but you start talking big-bore kits and stuff, your better off stuffing a different motor in there.

my advice? sit on one and see how it feels.

oldskool83
03-25-2010, 09:36 AM
i dont think they are a bad trail machine, one thing i dont like about them is the brakes, if you can update the calipers to real hydrolics ones your beter off, i like the seating position also, they are a little too skinny for me width wise only being like 42 inches wide. if you get rid of the oil premix and mix your own gas then trailprotrailpro fine.

i almost bought on for my g/f, it wasnt bad but i needed somthing not going to piss off my neighors. a full system on the bike is just too pingy and loud for areas where noise issues may be a problem, reason i got a 300ex for her instead.

dirtbiken
03-25-2010, 09:43 AM
there are lots of pros like its a 2 stroke, they work great and have pretty good power for a 200.