PDA

View Full Version : Back to work on the 450R

TexFest
03-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Hey people since it's starting to warm up outside I figured I would pull the 450r back out and start working on it since the weather started getting cold on me last time when i was working on it.

Before this happened it ran great.

So here's the story of what happened to it: The last time i took it out riding, i was out riding around just cruising along and all of a sudden it starts to bogg down feeling like my tire went flat and i looked back at it and it sure was flat, as i was pressing the gas lever it would just bog and had no power at all it felt like, so i called my dad to come pull me back home, i told him i was going to try to pull start it but it didn't work. Here's the deal of what happened on that, as he would pull me and i would let off the clutch it would run but would still bog and as i would pull the clutch back in it would just die.

I started wrenching on it after my quad got sick, I took the valve cover off and found the timing chain guides being chewed up after i forgot to properly tension the tensioner, so i replaced the cam chain tensioners and tensioned the tensioner, checked the valve clearences and all was in spec, after i put it all back together it still ran the same. I cleaned the carb and over the couple days i was working on it, i cleaned it a million times it felt like and never fixed the problem. My hot valve was also stuck in the carberator so i tried to fix that and found out the plunger was just stuck in the carb and never was able to get it out but even with the carb back all together it still ran the same.

So next I moved on to electrical parts, I have the manual and it suggest it's an electrical problem, so i replaced the stator and cdi box and it still runs the same, last i checked was the wiring and everything looked good, i was checking my coil and i couldn't get anything out of it, meter kept reading zero.

That was the last thing I was doing to it before the weather started getting cold.

I've also put a new uni air filter, new intake carb boot insulator thinking mine was cracked, also has a stainless steel oil filter.

When i replaced my cam chain guides i found a bunch of small chewed up plastic pieces all over the inside of the engine when i was replacing the stator and cam chain guides.

My quad is a 04 450R with a HRC kit

Let me hear your suggestions on this, i'm ready to ride.

I also attached a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvwoKnaYvnQ

300rman
03-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Do a compression check, change the plug. maybe the coil died. about all i can think of. but seriously, if you have found chunks of plastic and metal shavings, i would at minimum replace the piston/rings, crank+main bearings.........im betting the plastic killed your compression, and could have damaged the bearings. it would be cheap insurance against it throwing a rod.......

TexFest
03-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Do a compression check, change the plug. maybe the coil died. about all i can think of. but seriously, if you have found chunks of plastic and metal shavings, i would at minimum replace the piston/rings, crank+main bearings.........im betting the plastic killed your compression, and could have damaged the bearings. it would be cheap insurance against it throwing a rod.......

hey thanks for the reply 300rman, the funny thing is that it still has good compression but it feels weird kicking it over like the piston is getting stuck when kicking it

i put a brand new plug in it just in case it was the plug but it was still the same.

i drained the oil once and didnt really notice anything coming out but just oil, i think this time when i change it, i'm going to put a screen over the oil bucket so it will catch whatever comes out.

when my quad was running in the video i posted, it wasnt smoking at all, i thought when your rings go bad it smokes real bad? maybe that's just on older machines or something