PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to actually quit smoking?

gizmo2k
03-27-2010, 02:37 AM
I have basically given up trying to stop smoking cigarettes. Nothing I have tried has ever worked for very long. The other day I saw some experts talking about the e-cigarette on a talk show. Do you think these would actually work? Here is a link to the episode I saw on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaZ6abK2RrQ

dcreel
03-27-2010, 02:41 AM
I have quit twice for 3 years each time. The first time was cold turkey, the second time using "smoke away" which can be bought at wal-mart. The problem is when the bottom drops out I always return to it.

cattle-dog
03-27-2010, 07:24 AM
i smoked since i was 12 and am now 46, i quit cold turky several times over the years. 6 moths ago i started feeling very crappy hard time breathing, chest hurt, so i quit cold turky again but this time i am done i spent my whole life a single guy and three years ago met a great girl who wasnt out to get my money, we have a farm, life is the best it will ever get so i want to be around to enjoy it. its tough not smoking while driving or haveing a cup of coffee or while wrenching on a project but then i think about what i have and how i want to enjoy life healthy with my girl,family,friends and our farm animals that puts me back on track.

jensenracing77
03-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Is it possible to actually quit smoking?

well with a new set of rings and a fresh cylinder it should clear right up:D

just kidding, i wish you the best. i have several people in my family that quit and they all are glad they did.

oldtime3wheeler
03-27-2010, 07:47 AM
I quit 3 years ago cold turkey. So far so god and no smoking. For me once I got over the hump the cravings went away. It wasnt the easiest thing though. I smoked for about 15 years and a pack or reds a day.

Rm250RF900R
03-27-2010, 10:05 AM
i need a cigarette as we speak. wish i could quit but screw it.

dickieg89
03-27-2010, 10:51 AM
I quit june 10, 2001 after smoking all thru high school and college. I havent had one since. I used the patch, worked awesome for me.

jeffatc250r
03-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I started around 13 yrs old, quit almost 3 years ago. It was rough for the first cpl weeks, especially when out boozin. But I stuck to it and an now richer and feel great. I think its like 7 or 8 bucks a pack for marlboros,..........pack a day.........comes to $200 a month. Seems so retarded now that Im not addicted. $2400 in a year can buy you a verryyyy nice trike.

300rman
03-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Yep. my dad went from 2 packs a day to quit, going on 4 or 5 years now. granted, he had a health scare that turned out to be nothing, but he wont go back. he said the first couple days are the worst, then it levels off. he still gets random cravings every now and then, but being around smokers makes him cough up crap all over again.

i dont understand the cigarette price, cause you can buy a pack of "cigars" that are the same dimension as a cigarette (smokers choice namely) for less than 2 bucks.......

Escanabajosh
03-27-2010, 12:53 PM
july 16th i'll be 3 years no cigs, now i cant belive i ever smoked. smoked from about 12-13 till 25.

they aint getting any cheaper, my girlfriend smokes a pack of newports a day, now she's rolling her own,lol, she just sat down to do some as we speak. she hates it but spends a little over 30 bucks for the month,not too bad, trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro still aint good for ya though.

how about that FSC crap they put in it now, did yas notice how if ya leave the cig sitting it goes out, fire safe chemicals!nice, just what i wanna breath!

the best way to quit is find a "natural" replacment, lol

ditchmud
03-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I smoked for over 2o years and quit several times during that time. The final time was 2 years ago and I had accupuncture done. My uncle and my brother in law also did the same thing. We were all heavy smokers and haven't started back. My uncle has been done for 10 years and my brother in law for 4 years now. Not that it was effortless by any means you still have to choose not to smoke. AND IF YOU QUIT FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME DO NOT EVER PICK ONE BACK UP. That is how most people fail. They haven't smoked for so long that they just wanna try one to see and BAM you are hooked again.

hadar
03-28-2010, 03:18 PM
I quit about a year and a half ago using the gum 4mg and sometimes 2x4mg. You will not want to smoke with that much nicotine eventually went with a nicotine less gum like trident. I never want to smoke again and refuse to even hold one in my hand.

fabiodriven
03-28-2010, 03:59 PM
I'ma go a have me a smoke.

portland250r
03-28-2010, 04:05 PM
I have basically given up trying to stop smoking cigarettes. Nothing I have tried has ever worked for very long. The other day I saw some experts talking about the e-cigarette on a talk show. Do you think these would actually work? Here is a link to the episode I saw on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaZ6abK2RrQ

if you go to your local hospital they can put you on a pplan and prescription.
hope you quit.
im not there yet.

3wheelmecca
03-28-2010, 10:49 PM
I can't not smoke when working on something or riding, my friend gets mad if I even suggest smoking in his truck, or around him. Its tough to quit. I would try Chantix

rdlsz24
03-28-2010, 10:52 PM
I've never smoked even 1 cig. Good luck to all you guys wanting to quit. My dad was able to kick the habit a few years back using the gum I think.

Rob

newrider3
03-28-2010, 11:08 PM
I've never smoked even 1 cig. Good luck to all you guys wanting to quit.
+1

I would try Chantix
Supposedly that stuff makes you trip balls and have f-ed up dreams.

3wheelmecca
03-28-2010, 11:41 PM
for my mom and dad at least, just make sure you dont have depression, tha is a big factor. It amplifies your actions and emotions. Iv'e never tried it, my lungs are shot as it is from multiple industrial situations.

harryredtrike
03-29-2010, 12:52 AM
i quit every night only to start again in the morning

BigO
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I did the chantix and it made me very mean was always mad and could not sleep i made it 2 weeks when my wife came home with a pack of smokes and said enough is enough i want to quit but some how will not

tomyt175
04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I quit 4 years ago cold turkey after smoking for 10 yrs, I think you have to really want to quit though, we were expecting our first child and I had a cancer scare, that was all the motorvation I needed. Good luck with it, after a few months you will wonder why the hell you started smoking in the first place.