PDA

View Full Version : Can Am SPYDER road trike.....been dreamin of one

SYKO
03-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Ok so ive had a hardon for one of these things ever since they came out:drool:, not becouse its a road legal trike in a sense or a can am... I think they are just flat out cool as sh*t! I had the oportunity to test drive one and Ive been really stoked ever since. In my opinion they are kinda pricey and most owners who sell them second hand think their selling a pile of gold ingots...But im not going to let that deter me! Ive been watching the prices closely on used machines (mostly 08 models) and have finaly seen them dip below 9k for a used one under 5k miles. I know most motorcyclelists discount them and say their sissy learning machines... But ive had my fair share of road bikes (ninja 900, Klx and Klr 650s, cb400) and dont want to mess with a road bike any more. So im back at my hardon:drool: for one of these machines. what do you guys think? near fall this year I wil have enough to put a substantail down payment on one and afford the payments for a year or so, I dont want to buy a new one as the 10 styles I dont piticularly like and rather have the 08-09 models. They also have alot of performance mods out for these from computers, exhaust, bigger belt sprokets and other stuff so they can be made even more scarier then before...wich I like.

your guys take (not that it really matters Ill get one any way lol:Bounce)

im not worried about wich color as I plan on custom painting it any way:naughty:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/nemessis45/untitled.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/sambumbia/Can-Am_Spyder_5.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/jswish_2000/DSC00013.jpg

muddog
03-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Buy one (and share:))

Thorpe
03-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Syko... If you get one, I think you need to build a 300 kit for the rear... 1 monster meat... It would be sick!

puggerton03
03-27-2010, 11:46 AM
how fast/quick are they? compared to a regular bike? i also really like them. can-am/ski-doo is an awesome company. i would kill to have a 2011 ski-doo renegade 800 sled.

SYKO
03-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Syko... If you get one, I think you need to build a 300 kit for the rear... 1 monster meat... It would be sick!

well they are suposadly faster acceleratiing then any big bore bike right now but are limited to 120mph wich the computer upgrade changes that, also it dosnt use a motorcycle tire in the rear it uses a flat car tire so putting a 300 rear wouldnt help it any at all as it still wouldnt have the contact patch as it does now.

300rman
03-27-2010, 02:57 PM
The black/yellow is loud, the silver one is more sleek. i say get one, then paint her up with one of your sick schemes.

Glad to hear your back on your feet and looking at toys!

ditchmud
03-28-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm with you syko I test rode one myself and someday I will have one. I don't know about you, but when I test rode mine it needed a tire when I got back. It did real nice burn-outs, but it would not let you slide it around corners at all. That must have been in the computer programming? Does the computer upgrade take care of that. Also I found that it felt very wierd not leaning into corners like on a bike, but I am sure that would pass the more you rode it.

SYKO
03-28-2010, 01:40 PM
yea from what Ive read it has 5 active computers that keep it from sliding out around a curve or over leaning in a curve, you would think it would carve corners great and it somewhat does but the computers wont let you over drive it so to speak. Im not sure all what the computer upgrade does I know it remaps the fuel and ignition but I dont think it touches the handling and TC stuff, I know there is more and more stuff comming out for them.

thefox
03-28-2010, 08:23 PM
I have a friend that bought a used 09 in the fall. He has Parkinson’s disease and has trouble moving a bike around at slow speed so this was the perfect answer. He really like the Spider, actually he stopped here just a couple of hours ago with it. He said it doesn't handle like the bike but still handles well and is fun to ride. I haven't been on it yet but will soon enough!

SYKO
03-29-2010, 06:52 AM
thats cool FOX! there is a guy down here with parkinsons, and he has a road legal quad (honda forman) its cool that these machines help people out. Has he done anything to it? or does he just plan on riding it?

thefox
03-29-2010, 09:25 PM
It is mostly stock now, different foot pegs, rear fender extension, new tires will be put on soon, and a few other little things I can’t remember. He wanted to get some miles on it before getting it set up and winter in upstate NY isn't the best for riding. He is the kind of guy that will add all sorts of little bits to make it just right. This weekend it is supposed to be in the 70's and sunny so I will probably get my first ride on it, as well as talk with him about buying the BMW R1150R he was riding last year...

SYKO
07-28-2010, 08:14 PM
did you ever get a chance to ride it yet?

Mr_RPM
07-28-2010, 08:33 PM
my dad is one of the first certified mechanics for these and he actually got to take home one of the prototypes they had going around the country and let me take it for a spin.
also since then he has taken a few demo ones from his work
i just love them, kinda feels like a street legal quad with a forward riding position.
i do agree it sucks about not being able to slide around turns. traction sucks on them and we even took the prototype off road and they barley go up a wet grassy hill, the traction control just cuts it back to much.
i had it up to 108 on a nice flat back road. fastest thing i have ridden. beats my neighbors modded banshee.

they sound great with the aftermarket Can-am race pipe. sounds just like any loud v twin