PDA

View Full Version : almost saved a 250sx today

code200k
03-29-2010, 04:06 PM
been doing scrap for money,so today before i cleaned out a freinds house i emptyed my truck out at the scrap yard,as i pull in there is a guy with a 250sx in his truck heading towards the pile so as quickly as i can i get on the scale and get next to him, by the time i got next to him he was getting ready to leave and the trike was on the bottom of a pile of scrap..thing was all there and has plastics too so rest of the day iwas pissssed. i was gunna offer the guy 60 bucks for it too..ps the reason i didnt grab it from the pile is because at the yard if any one goes into the pile you can get fined and all that b.s

Thorpe
03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I would have risked the fine!

Dirtcrasher
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I guess you just missed him....... :(

I myself would have talked to the operator of the excavator and then gone in the shop to explain thay you were an enthusiast and would pay double the worth of scrap. I can't imagine them turning that down, but every scrap yard is different..........

code200k
03-29-2010, 11:04 PM
i talked to the owner awhile ago bout buying a dirtbike.thats how i found out but the fines and such,also when i walked in to get my money i toldhim he could keep my cash plus 20( bout 100 bucks) if i can pull the trike out he sadi sorry you know the rules..

RIDE-RED 250r
03-30-2010, 04:48 PM
that sucks! tough break....

mopar_man
03-30-2010, 05:13 PM
I've also got a scrap-related story. On Sunday, my brother-in-law tells me to hop in the car and take a ride with him. About 5 miles down the road from his house, he's been helping a friend of his clean up his property. It's almost to the point of being a junkyard. Anyway, there's about 7 late 40's/early 50's cars there. 4 of them are coupes. None of them are restorable as they've been sitting there for 45+ years. Some of the glass and trim is still good though. That night, I went home and did some researching to see if it was worth removing or not. Yesterday morning, I call him to tell him I would be interested in pulling those parts for a percentage of the profit. He told me he would contact the owner and get back to me. I heard nothing back from him so on the way back from my early morning roadtrip (http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?111514-Craigslist-really-brings-out-the-bottom-feeding-retards-*Rant-on*), I stopped by his place to see what he found about working something out on the cars. On the way there, I saw the scrap hauler go by with one of the cars. He told me he talked to the owner and said he would be interested in working with me on it but wanted to be there to help. He was also going to be gone for a week on a holiday. I stopped by the property where the cars were and all but two of the cars were gone and the two left are probably gone as I type this. I'm just frustrated since I'm sure this happens everyday, tens or probably hundreds of times, but this is one time where I could've saved something usable from being turned into a new Kia.

code200k
03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
thing that pisses me off the mst about people junking old cars and trikes is that scrap is only 8 cents a lbs by me so the guy didnt get much for that whole trike

3wheelmecca
03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
scrap is even worse here, 5 cents a pound. There was an ATC in as scrap pile at my scrapyard, under about 12 dishwashers, breaks my heart.

code200k
03-31-2010, 09:25 PM
scrap is even worse here, 5 cents a pound. There was an ATC in as scrap pile at my scrapyard, under about 12 dishwashers, breaks my heart.

must have been some old dishwasher..now adays there half plastic junk..i get 8 cent a pound for light iron, 50 cent lbs for clean aluminum/40/45 for dirty and copper is at 2.50ish clean i manly do just iron battries and everyonce and awhile aluminum but i hate doing it at my local yard cuz i think the smaller scale is off

Thorpe
03-31-2010, 10:51 PM
It probably is.... Kinda like the clock at the bar....

code200k
03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
It probably is.... Kinda like the clock at the bar....

haha should have said it is off just still have to fig out how much it is off by

codynewman
04-25-2010, 04:22 AM
what are you talking about not restorable every car is restorable if u wanna do it

cattle-dog
04-25-2010, 09:32 AM
in rochester ny there was a long closed junkyard that had mid 70s back to 30s cars hundreds of them, some very rare stuff like pontiac nomads. austin healys tons of vintage hubcaps labeled in a barn. radios, emblems, all in dry storage. mr green was in his 70s atleast last time i was there 15 years ago. he was not really open but would let you in to pick around. i spent a few days there. i believe it has all been crushed now.

MorganHonda200!
05-09-2010, 08:39 PM
would have took the risk I could not take leaving it there
IT would be crazier to leave it there then take it

3wheelmecca
05-09-2010, 08:46 PM
In my state, old cars are used to levee back water in rivers, and they cut everything out with an oxygas, burn it, and bury it. Newrider3 lived out in the country and found stuff just mangled off. Its sad because they had so much potential. There is a '66 Ford Galaxie in a ditch my one of my dads well sites, nose end down in the silt.