PDA

View Full Version : New to the 3 wheeled world

Scorp
03-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Great stuff on this site. I am really a vintage snowmobile guy but this 3 wheeler came along and I could not resist. I have completely restored a '29 Ford and numerous vintage sleds. I am not in the market to restore three wheelers but I recently purchased a light blue 225 DX '85. I would have never bought it but this thing is cherry. The person I bought it from said it had a knock in the motor and has the recoil and stator off so I got it home and fired it up to try and find the knock. It is definatly in the lower part of the motor and it is very loud (at least louder than I would have expected). It ran very well and seemed normal except for the knock. Well I ended up shearing the key way on the transmission side of the engine so I started taking it apart. Piston and connecting rod and cyl look great. When I spin there is not play in the crank. I have never taken a bottom end apart not sure if it is my cup of tea either? any suggestions would be great. Also is the only way to get the motor out is by taking the rear end out?

If not help on the motor I just bought another one last night for 100 bucks which has a good motor and an aftermarked exahust but rest of it is pretty sad looking. I heard it run so I figured I am probably just as far ahead replacing the motor.

Thank you again for the great site and any information on removing or installing a motor, or the problem with my motor or where I may take it in central NY! Are there any riding events in NY as well?

THANKS ALL!

johnny's X
03-30-2010, 06:59 PM
WELCOME to the boards! Always nice to see another fellow NYer.

Scorp
03-30-2010, 07:42 PM
THanks Johnny X do you have yours registured and insured?

MonroeMike
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Welcome to 3ww.

A manual will help.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf

Scorp
03-30-2010, 09:23 PM
You guys rock thank you so much!
When I bought the wheeler the guy said it ran great and rode it fairly consistantly then one day it got a knock and he shut it right off. I started it to try and locate it I will have to check out the rockers! Thanks again for your help.