PDA

View Full Version : Hey Trikers, I got a question about trailers.

chris200x
04-03-2010, 10:22 AM
I havee an 18ft camper I plan on tearin down and making an atv trailer. Any tips? are these things suposed to have side rails and fenders?

lookin for ideas.. or pics. thanks!

250rAL
04-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I would check out how much bracing is in the frame. You may be able to remove some to cut down on weight. They're made pretty heavy.

chris200x
04-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks! does anyone know if fenders are required over the wheels or not? I plan on making it a flatbed with just some sheets of 3/4" plywood with some eyebolts to strap the bikes too. your thoughts?

p26575r16
04-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I have one made out of an old tent trailer. There is much more bracing than a standard utility/atv trailer, but I like the added strength. You probably should put some fenders on it, I was lucky in that my deck covers the tires so I don't need fenders. I would definately check the weight rating on the axles/tires, but it should be more than enough for your needs. I am in the process of freshening up mine right now and I am going to cut off all of the old tie down points to clean it up a little. Then I think I am going to get some chain and weld the links to my trailers frame for tie down points. I am also going to put some right under where the center of the atv's are to use as a locking point for security. Mine originally had treated 3/4" wafer board for the deck, but it was getting pretty nasty, so I tore it all off the other day. I am going to use standard 3/4" plywood for the deck. After I get it all cut, I am going to paint both sides of it with some rolled on rustoleom paint to match the rest of the trailer, it should also help make the wood last a bit longer.

SYKO
04-03-2010, 03:28 PM
here is mine I made it from a pop up camper frame

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?72324-RACE-TRAILER!!-the-freshest-ever!!-NEW-STICKERS!!!!!!&highlight=

now its painted to match my truck

chris200x
04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
luckily this one I have is a dual axle. I should have no problems hauling just about anything. this is my summer project.

thanks for the pics and ideas. Are rails necessary?

p26575r16
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Rails are not necessary, mine does not have them either. I really want some though. Luckily I have a local metal worker near me that does great work and is inexpensive, so I am thinking about having him make me some with some ramps as well.

cattle-dog
04-03-2010, 09:16 PM
i have been thinking of taking a camping trailer and spliting the back wall so the upper part swings up and the bottom folds down into a ramp trikes get parked in the old bedroom area now mobile garage tool area. now the front would stay as it was so the table would be a bed and living area with fridge and stove and bathroom. i had seen this done by a harley guy a home built toybox trailer.

jrwebb8324
04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
i built my atv trailor out of a old camper. i used one inch square tubing to make my rails i would recommend fenders to keep your trikes from getting hit by rocks and mud while driving. here is a pic of mine so far, minus the fenders.

The Goat
04-06-2010, 09:23 PM
fenders vary state to state chris

Down here it's law that you have them.

tanks350x
04-07-2010, 05:22 PM
good luck with that Chris, I just learned that, up here in Mass, we have to get any home made trailors inspected as well. I guess that they want to make sure that all of these clapper home made jobs are road worthy :lol:

250rAL
04-08-2010, 08:19 PM
There are specific lighting rules too. I found a site online with all the poop and illustrations too.