PDA

View Full Version : 2000 bear tracker stator question

Tbcoplin
04-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I know this is not a 3 wheeler, but figured someone could help me out with some info. This is another project of mine along with the 86 Tecate restoration. I had no fire, mechanic told me yamaha's are notorious for having stator failure. When i disassembled the left side and got to the stator, I noticed oil was on the stator. I know this is a wet sump, but should there be oil on the stator? I did not see any gasket or seal to prevent oil from getting on the stator.

Tbcoplin
04-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Can anyone give me info on this? Not sure how much oil to put in the left side either. There's no dipstick. ???

Mr_RPM
04-17-2010, 11:23 AM
your mechanic is right, I have had the MOST HORRIFYING luck with stators on Yamahas, in fact all of my buddies have. its like a virus. lol and i will probably never buy a yamaha new if i was givin the choice of a different manufacturer other than polaris. as for the oil, im not to sure. i do know oil is not a electric conductor and shouldn't be the cause of a short out. ill find out for you, my dad will know.

TeamGeek6
04-18-2010, 11:37 AM
OIl IS an insulator and will not cause a short. Most eletrical failures in motor vehicles are CONNECTORS, not the part itself so dont toss the stator (money dont grow on trees in this economy) until youve cut the connectors off and twisted the wires together to eliminate the plugs. The 80s Honda Goldwings dropped like files due to bad connectors. MY 250R quit running due to a loose terminal on the CDI connector.

Mr_RPM
04-18-2010, 02:33 PM
do a resistance test on the stator. look up the spec on what the resistance should be.

4cylinders
04-18-2010, 09:22 PM
hey, stator, usually the pickup is bad. got voltage, no trigger, gotta get the whole thing. oil, screw the dipstick in to read. if it's overfull it will leak everywhere.