PDA

View Full Version : Doug Henry interview.....YZF400 etc etc

Dirtcrasher
04-09-2010, 07:35 PM
I found this today when I just wanted to know how Doug was doing after being paralyzed in a Supermoto event; He may only have been practicing, I don't recall... But Doug has been someone I've admired for a long time and he lives not too far from any of us Northeast riders/racers. He was always a humble guy with a great personality. I got to walk past him (which I thought was incredible!!) in the woods at Southwick (I was merely looking for a place to take a leak instead of waiting in line for a stinkypotty) but I was too shocked to even say hello! Both his arms were in a cast (from a stalled motor at Budds Creek) The same place that broke his back years prior) and he was with Stacey (his wife) and a baby in a stroller. That had to be in the mid 90's sometime. I believe she got breast cancer but to my knowledge she is a survivor. If any of you got to see Doug race or have followed his career you can appreciate this footage.

http://www.privateermxtv.com/www.privateermxtv.com/Interviews/Pages/Doug_Henry.html

Many people aren't aware of how the mainly 2 stroke domination evolved into the modern 4 stroke many of us desire now. Doug Henry won a Supercross race (beating Jeremy McGrath I believe) on a YZF400. That changed how everyone and every manufacturer felt about 4 strokes and helped develop them to where they are today. I can't remember if thats the same event that Jeremy snapped the bars right off his 250 2 stroke and tried to get back on it :lol:

It wasn't the first time he raced it, if I recall there were some times it didn't run so well with the 250CC 2 stroke class. Fortunately, I was able to watch all of this happen and recorded ALL of the Supercross and National MX races back in the mid to late 90's.

I'm sure not all of this is correct, but the important parts are! Long live Doug Henry #19 and his family :beer Feel free to correct me......

I hope some of you can enjoy this, I just found it an hour ago................

SYKO
04-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Its tough to hear what happened to him, I was a big follower of him as well along with Mike Larocco and Jeff Emig back in those days. The guy I looked up to the most was Danny Hammil and Guy Cooper those guys were awesome! (rip Danny). I still have about 500 issues of dirtbike up in the attic I may have to peep them again!

oldskool83
04-16-2010, 09:51 AM
man those were the guys i always seen in the mags, the year was 97, the bike was a hybrid of a yz250 and the 1st preproduction yz400f...yeah it was white and red and was oldschool looking...loved that thing!

syko dont forget mike kiedrowski and robbie reynard...no riders stand out today like the guys in the early to mid 90's do to me, heck i dont even like the bikes after 99 and when i see them i still think they are new...im getting old

ctk
04-16-2010, 09:28 PM
doug henry is the man. He is my favorite rider. I remember watching him race in the early/mid 90's. I remember seeing him on the yammi 4 stroke and saying to my buddy....thats the future of supercross. Great link dirtcrasher.

Dirtcrasher
04-16-2010, 11:42 PM
^ I'm glad some you enjoyed it!! Doug is the MAN!! He's got an awesome resume' :D

I had a tough time with him being hurt AGAIN! as well...........

Inspiring,............

hondawasaki
04-24-2010, 12:17 AM
The best part of the Doug Henry story, is the fact he won on the yz400 AFTER honda said he would never ride again and terminated his contact when he broke his back the first time. He persevered, and came back to ride, and win, all with that smile on his face. #19 will always be for Doug in my eyes. There is a lot to look up too. I miss him, Ernesto too.

bigp436
04-29-2010, 10:33 PM
I used to live 3 houses down from him about 10yrs ago, before he sold his house. It was a very dirtbike oriented neighborhood, so me being on a three wheeler, i didnt get to talk to him all that much. From what i remember, he was a very nice guy and would meet up at the local riding area at least once a week and teach the neighborhood kids how to ride. The whole area is still packed with dirtbikes going up and down the road to the pits, so he definetly left his mark in my neck of the woods.

yj350
05-01-2010, 09:40 PM
I use to ride dirt bikes allot and ran in to him many times over the years at the stevenson dam pits on RT 34. It was great putting in some laps with a legend.

Dirtcrasher
05-03-2010, 01:54 PM
I can't even imagine riding with him. I WALKED by him and I was completely speechless. Such a nice guy, professional and always happy!!

I've been watching "Bubba's World" and he's another great role model!! Takes riding, obligations and life very serious (being the fastest rider in the world helps to :D).